Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Adrian

Default Bringing a guitar?

My teenager is campaigning to bring his guitar. I am inclined to let him because it's a good way to make new friends and he loves to show off, but I'm not sure if it would be a problem to bring it? Could it be stored under the bed? There are 4 of us in an inside cabin, so I know it will be pretty cozy!

What about bringing it on a plane? I'd be a little worried about the pressure changes in the cargo area. Has anyone brought a guitar on a plane or a cruise?

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Bringing a guitar?

We brought my son's guitar on a plane when he went to college. The guitar was stored in a hardcase that locks and sent through with our regular luggage. I have to say, the airlines took very good care of it. We flew Delta Song, Boston to Tampa. We had to go to the baggage claim service to pick it up. It did not come out with the regular luggage.

Post Edited (04-07-05 22:34)
Old April 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM
AR

If there are going to be four of you in a cabin, I'd argue against it. It certainly will fit under the bed, but that space is best used for empty suitcases, and with four of you there will probably be a lot of those. One hint is to plan your suitcase sizes so you can put one inside another before putting them under the bed. If you can determine ahead of time that you can fit the guitar along with all the suitcases under a queen size bed, well, then maybe you can give in. Of course, if you're very nice to your cabin steward he'll probably take some of your suitcases off your hands if you really run into a bind.

Also keep in mind your airline weight and piece limits. I certainly wouldn't pay overweight/oversize charges to the cruise and back.
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Admiral

It is allowed but, remember that it needs to be in checked luggage on the plane, you cannot carry it on. When you get on the ship you can carry it on but storage is limited AND most of all, not everyone will appreciate him if he plays it. An out of the way place with nobody around or on your private balcony or in your room softly is the place to play it. No matter how good he is, the playing is not going to be appreciated in most places. Remember you have the professional musicians that are not going to want to compete with him and when he goes to a quite place the reason there are other people there is because they want a quite place, not somewhere someone is playing his guitar.
Jim

Old April 7th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Captain

Have a great time on the Star. We took that cruise in November. Let your son bring his guitar. It can be a real ice breaker. In the later evenings there is nothing going on on deck, unless it is one of the nights they are throwing a party out there, It would be a great place to strum his guitar. There is a large area in front of the pool that has layers of lounge chair that is deserted at night. And last but not least there is the talent show. If he is good he may want to sign up for that. ( Oh heck even if he isn't this is a great opportunity to step out take a risk and go for it. He'll never see these people again and it will be a fantastic experience for him.
As they say JUST DO IT,

Do the canopy tour in pv also.

ROMANS 8:28

VIKING SERENADE 1993
HOLIDAY 1995
HOLIDAY 1997
HOLIDAY 1998
ECTASY 1999
ELATION 2000
STAR PRINCESS 2002
SPIRIT 2003
NCL STAR 2004
PRIDE 2005
PRIDE 2006
PARADISE 2007
MS OOSTERDAM 2008
SPLENDOR 5/2010

Carnival Splendor
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Bringing a guitar?

Electric or acoustic guitar?

If acoustic...
Being a musician myself my teen years were filled with playing guitar and singing with friends. If he is good enough that people will enjoy his playing he will make a lot of friends with it, I predict.

As a teen myself, I took a lot of comfort in having mine because I was good enough that I could create a lot of fun & get positive attention. In fact, I just got back into playing again and our "band night" with friends for sing alongs is one of my most favorite things to do.

If it is an electric that he plays at full volume, he is just a beginner and only knows one song, then it probably isn't such a great idea, though.

Old April 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Adrian

Default Re: Re: Re: Bringing a guitar?

It is acoustic, though he does have an electric also, but I don't want to have to haul an amp along too and he is pretty good, considering he's only been playing for a year and a half or so. But it's definitely "teen type" music, so I'm sure he won't be taking requests or anything and yes, he certainly would NOT be competing with professional musicians. Like Susan says, I would picture him hanging out by the pool or playing for his friends in the teen club. The talent show would be a good idea though. He might really enjoy that. I think we should let him bring the durn thing, if we can figure out with Delta how to get it there in one piece!

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Old April 9th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Admiral

My son is lobbying for the same thing and we will allow him to bring his acoustic. You're right, it's a GREAT icebreaker. There are plenty of out of the way places that the teens tend to congregate. I doubt he'll disturb any of the passengers because the teens want to be ANYWHERE but around adults!

How about he uses a soft canvas bag for his suitcase so it can allow more space under his bed?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Im afraid a soft bag won't be allowed on the plane - too big to carry on. A hard-shell case can be checked and take the bumps. Your average (cheap) card-board based case probably won't hold up very well in luggage - if it is a nice guitar I would buy a flight-case for it. Or maybe borrow one from a friend.

I saw someone who bought a seat for their cello on my last flight.

Old April 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Admiral

>>Im afraid a soft bag won't be allowed on the plane - too big to carry on >>

Paul's right. I meant a soft luggage bag so that once he unpacks all this clothes he can just stuff the luggage bag somewhere out of the way and use the under the bed space for his guitar case.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 12th, 2005, 05:19 AM
salem5050

When we were on a cruise my son bought a guitar in Cozumel, he had no problem bringing back the guitiar with out a case even on the plane, it was just stored in the over head compartment.

Mary Margaret
Old April 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Adrian

Wow! They just let him carry it on? I thought they were being so strict now with carry on bags. That would be the best of all situations, if they would just let us carry it on. I think maybe we'll just try to brazen it out and carry it on. We can always gate check it if necessary. I do want to let him bring it, I think it will really make his trip more enjoyable.

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Vicki N

Four in an inside cabin is cozy. One bed pulls down from the wall to form a bunk bed. Another bed is a trundle - pulled out at night forming three twins close together taking up all floor space. There will only be storage under one twin bed. Could maybe leave top bunk down and store extra items there. Chances are he'll be so busy exploring the boat that he won't need his guitar. If he's really good, he could win a free cruise at the talent night. How often will he really use it? There were movies that interested my boys and the magician was really good.
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Adrian

We've actually had to abandon the guitar idea. The airline insisted that it be in a locking case and we didn't have a key for it, and we were also concerned about the volume of stuff we are going to be bringing. We have 4 large suitcases, 2 garmet bags, and a couple of carryons, so that is a lot of stuff to lug around plus we have to fit it all into the trunk of my father in law's car (We are visiting family in OC on the days before and after the cruise.) not to mention any souveniers, etc. we bring back. So, sadly no guitar.

Thanks for the description of the room - the example I saw on staterooms.com had two of the wall beds and it looked like they came down right on top of the main bed. I was a little worried about our 6 year old falling on top of us in the middle of the night. Of course it would be worse if it were our 16 year old!

We leave tomorrow and I am hoping we have a marvelous time!

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05