Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2005, 07:32 PM
clem

Default ID for a teen

We will be sailing in May, one month after our daughter turns 16 yrs. old. She will not have her driver's license yet, so what do we use for picture ID? We will have her birth certificate which we have used before on many cruises...will that be enough for a 16 yr. old?

Thank You for your help!
Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: ID for a teen

A passport would be the best thing and she will have to have one to cruise after 12/31/2005.

You will also need a passport to cruise the Caribbean after 12/31/2005.

See the the: The "Attention: Important Information" thread on this page.

******Edited to remove incorrect information:

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Scubarick Send a message via Yahoo to Scubarick

some police departments issue what is called a Sherif's ID or a police ID, it is a picuter ID with all the information a Drivers Licesne would have. Check with your local Police Dept.

Rick
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to change my first statement. She must have an official photo id. She can obtain a State ID card. All states issue this. It looks similar to a drivers license but can only be used for identification purposes. You should obtain one as soon as possible.

This is from the Carnival website:

In addition to the above requirements, all guests 16 years of age or older, must provide an official photo I.D.

Sorry for the incorrect first statement.

Things are changing: Get the passports and avoid all the confusion.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2005, 09:53 PM
First Mate

Our daughter was sixteen on our last cruise. She didn't need an ID. Next month she will turn l7 and we are cruising a couple days after her birthday. She still doesn't have her liscense and probably won't. Will that be a problem?
Old April 10th, 2005, 10:49 PM
cali-croozer

Just to be sure, I would try to get an id card from the DMV. Hopefully, they can get you one before your cruise. My son has a DL, and I've written down notes everywhere to be sure to bring it..........it's one of those things you really don't think about bringing since he won't be driving.
Old April 11th, 2005, 01:06 AM
Adrian

Default Re: Re: ID for a teen

That's what we did for my son. He is 16 and not driving yet. We got him a non-driver's ID card. It cost about $6.00 and took about half an hour to get. We had to provide his birth certificate, his SS card, and proof of our address.

Thanks!

Adrian
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:22 AM
clem

I just called RCCL. They told me that if she takes a school issued picture ID (because it is a state affiliated agency), she would be fine! Do you think I should really believe this?
Old April 11th, 2005, 08:45 PM
BoosterMom

I'd go to my local DMV office with all the stuff needed to get a driver's license and get the non-driver's license ID. Looks just the same, but says ID ONLY. I agree with the other posters that say to get a passport, but remember if you get one for a 16 yo, it will only be good for 5 years. If it were me and I was cruising before Dec, 2005, I'd get the official ID, no a school ID only, and wait until after 16 to get the passport. It's good for 10 years after the age of 16.......
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Adrian

Default Re: Re: ID for a teen

To me this would be a big deal, because without acceptable ID, they might not let her on the boat. I would hedge your bet and go ahead and get the ID card just in case.

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Captain

Default ID for a teen

My 8 year old is mighty proud of his "drivers license".
Missouri issues ID's that look like drivers licenses.
You have to take all the necessary documents, everything but
the actual test.

Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Passports are so useful and worth the hassle of getting one. For extra money, passports can be expedited in less than a week.
Here is general website: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
Good Luck

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old April 11th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Don't know which cruiseline you were on, Lizzy, but I'm shocked they allowed your 16 yo on without an ID. They state you must have a picture ID, so I would be sure and get one before you sail.

And yes, a passport is the way to go.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:00 AM
Beginner

Last year we went on RCL to Alaska(not sure where you are going) and I was only 16 at the time and didn't have a drivers license yet and just brought my school ID and that worked just fine. Just go with what you feel is best.
Old April 12th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Admiral

A school ID is acceptable as it is issued by a type of Government agency as in school. Just remember the main thing is that wil the new rules comming uo for next year, get your US Passport. It is going to be pretty much a requiremnet for most places and soon required to go anywhere. We here at CM have been lobbying for everyone to get them quickly as we knew this was comming. It actually go here a little earlier than we though I guess. Just get the Passport folks.
Jim

Old April 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
sailgirl

My daughter was 16 on RCCL last summer. We were told that a school ID was adequate as long as it was from a public school and not a private one. That is what we took. Of course, they never ask to see it.
Old April 16th, 2005, 12:45 AM
First Mate

So a school ID is good enough?

To the other person who asked what ship line we used before, it was the Carnival Conquest.
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:53 AM
sailgirl

When I Questioned the cruise line, they referred me to immigration (?). It was an official agency that told me that a public HS ID was ok. We live in Jersey and the motor vicles dept told me they ony issue non-driving ID s to 17 and older.
Old April 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Vicki N

Just returned from Mexican Riveria on NCL Star. Our 17 yr old had his D.L. Did not have to show ID for our 15 year old or 11 year old twins. When they give you your sail/sign card they take a photo ID for ship identification. I did have my 15 year olds school ID and my twins soccer ID's but never needed them. We do not have passports only birth certificates. You should not have any problem. If you do have a school card or sports card take just in case.
Old April 18th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

We always bring a passport. It's just easier for us.

Voyager of the Seas 7/05
Voyager of the Seas 8/04
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Adrian

After all my big talk, now I'M a little worried. I did take my son for his non-driver's license several weeks ago, but it hasn't come in the mail yet and we leave tomorrow.

We do have his birth certificate, his public school picture ID, and we have a paper copy of his non-driver's license that has his picture on it. Will we be OK? I'm not sure how strict they are about these rules and I'm terrified we're going to get right up to the dock and get turned away for lack of a silly card. Durned DMV!!!

Thanks!

Adrian

Norweigan Star 4/22/05