Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Kathy & Dave

Default Parking/Pickup at Port Canaveral

Hi,

We've been debating whether to drive to Port Canaveral (about 1 hr from home), have someone drop us off/pick us up, or get a local shuttle to take us.

I've read that at Port Canaveral, you have to drop your bags off, then park the car and take the shuttle back to the terminal because the shuttle can not accommodate luggage other than small carryons.

What is the process at the end of the cruise? Would one person take the shuttle to fetch the car and come back for the other waiting w/luggage? What about having someone pick us up? Where would we tell them to meet us?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Parking/Pickup at Port Canaveral

Not sure which cruise line you might be talking about as Carnival, RCCL, and Disney are all there.
Each one was very easy. We've always used a car service or brought over by a rental car's van. Each one had a parking lot that you could just have some meet you there. Carnival, you're dropped off in the parking lot and just walk to the terminal, very easy. We were dropped off right in front of the terminal at RCCL and Disney. I think when you arrive you just show your id that you're boarding. Then drop off bags and someone goes and parks the car.
It's not a matter of taking the shuttle to the car and all. But parking was right there.
I think if you could get someone to take you, that would be easiest and cheapest. As you'll be charged to leave your car at the parking lot.
Once you get there, you can figure out where you want to meet your party. But all three places you would just meet them in the parking lot somewhere. Very easy here. The parking areas are right there by the front entrances at each one.
Not sure what you mean by the shuttle not accomodating luggage. It's not like this huge place that you pick up this shuttle bus, then they shuttle you here and there. Maybe I"M missing something. But each time we went, it was a very easy process.

Not sure if only staff members are allowed to answer in this forum, but just going by our experiences. Hope I helped. Maybe someone knows something I don't.
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Kathy & Dave

We are going on Carnival. We've never cruised out of this port before. The info I got about the shuttle and luggage info was from the Port Canaveral website and a few comments I'd read on the various boards. What I got from reading on their website was that the parking area was huge and you needed to take a shuttle to get from the parking lot to the terminal, plus the shuttle couldn't accommodate large luggage, just carryons.

If the parking is right there, near the terminal, it might be easier to just drive ourselves there. I don't mind having to pay for parking. I could also pay a bit more to get a local shuttle to take us there, and would be more convenient than dragging our luggage around. If it were closer to home, I wouldn't mind asking someone to drop us off. But it is a bit of a drive and I don't want to inconvenience anyone.

Thanks for your feedback!

Old April 16th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Admiral

We left out of Port Canaveral for our Carnival cruise last December. We got to the cruise port about 11:10 am. We dropped off our luggage, paid the parking fee, parked the car, walked to the terminal and were having our embarkation photo taken by 12:05 pm. Very easy and convenient.

Old April 16th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Kathy & Dave

Cheryl,

Did you carry off your own luggage at the end of the cruise, or put it out the night before? I'm curious how awkward it is lugging it through the ship waiting to disembark.

Each cruise, we pack lighter and lighter. Hoping to get away with a garment bag and couple of carry-ons.

Thanks

Old April 17th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Admiral

We put it out the night before. We were in a penthouse suite (free upgrade) so our tag color was first called. However, we didn't disembark for about an hour after, had to eat first. <VBG> Even so, it only took us about 20 minutes to find our luggage and go through customs. We found no problems at all arriving or leaving at the port.