Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:26 AM
noslen3333

Default atlantic in oct/nov

I am leaving Philadelphia on the Norwegian Crown on Oct. 23rd. I've never cruised the Atlantic before...just the western carribean. The Dawn's recent accident brought to light the rough seas you can encounter. I would like to hear from those of you who have sailed the Atlantic during these months and what kind of seas you had. I understand the Crown is a small ship so I am curious about how she would have withstood the wave. Just to clarify...I'm from Texas where it never snows......
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Default Re: atlantic in oct/nov

The Atlantic is a crapshoot that time of the year. If the hurricanes are active in the area you can expect to encounter rough seas. The captain will take the ship away from the hurricane but those nasty critters have a way of disturbing the oceans for a lot of miles around them.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 18th, 2005, 11:58 AM
MARAPRINCE

noslen3333,

I am going on the N. Crown to Bermuda on May 29th. The Atlantic is the Atlantic and can be bad anytime of the year. Rough seas are the norm. Anytime you get near Cape Hataras, NC you will have rough seas even without a storm.

I was on the original love boat -- "Pacific Princess" -- and we hit a storm just after we left Bermuda. This ship is much smaller than the Crown. By noon it was pitch black with wind and rain. My cabin mate was laying on the bed looking quite green. I grabbed her and took her to the back of the ship near the buffet area and one of the lounges. She was stretched out in a chair while two gentelmen kept me busy playing a board game. When the lunch buffet was opened, I went out to get several rolls. Good thing she didn't come with me -- it was sushi day -- the last thing you need to look at when you are in that shape! After eating the rolls we went to lunch in the dining room. The waiter saw her face and sat her facing away from the port hole. Good thing -- a huge wave hit shortly after we were seated with 4 other people. It was like looking out from the inside of the washing machine!

We emptied everything out of the closet and drawers and packed our bags sitting on the floor. You do not want to be bending over in rough seas.

Be sure to take the once a day Bonine -- better than Dramine -- and have either bread or crackers with you at all times. If the ship has ginger that will work too. Also, take it easy on liquids. Pasta and pizza is good to settle your stomach too.

My friends and I were on the QE2 when the Staten Island Ferry crash occurred in NYC. We had 70 mph winds and the wind was so loud we had to raise the TV volume to drown it out. We made it to dinner and the show and then walking at a 45 degree angle made it back to our cabin. The staff advise everyone to order room service for fear someone would fall down. No dish/plates were allowed in the hallways. You had to call to have someone pickup your tray.

I have been on the N. Crown before in Europe where the seas tend to be rougher. Usually, everything is done to avoid the problem areas since sufficient notification given to the Captain of the sea conditions. The ship will have movement and using your judgment can prevent falls from happening.

Years ago all the ships were smaller and you seldom heard of something like the N. Dawn encountered.

I guess the best thing would be to stay away from the windows if you see a large wave coming in your direction and say a little prayer for a safe journey.

Maraprince

I also exper
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
noslen3333

wow. I may be in for a real adventure!! I'm up for whatever may or may not happen. The weather never entered my mind when making the decision to take this cruise. We were on the Rhapsody on the back of the ship during rough seas. It was kinda fun in a way and certainly exciting. Anyway, here's to safe seas and pleasant trips.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM
David Starkey

I live in North Carolina and can vouch that rough sea seem to happen off the coast of NC (Cape Hatteras).
This has happened to me several times in mid October going to Bermuda (from NYC ) . I love the added motion while on a ship but not all cruisers feel the same as me.
The Bermuda run can be rough and has a reputatation for rougher
sea's than most regular (Florida)cruise destinations.
I can remember once sailing on the QE 2 watching other ships rolling and bobbing around while she handeled the Atlantic much more steady.

Enjoy your cruise