Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:26 PM
rrk61970

Default Tips....paying ahead and adjusting....

Hey guys....here is my dilemma. I don't plan to eat in the dining room at all......my children and I plan to eat buffet the entire trip and looking at how the 10.00 is divided on an article here on the site makes me want to adjust the automatic tipping....it states that 3.60 goes to Steward, 5.50 to dining room crew and .90 to alternative dining. Well.since I am not eating in the dining room I thought of adjusting my tips and having that amount go to the alternative dining staff instead of the dining room crew. To do this I would just have to visit the pursers office... correct? Does anyone see a problem with my intentions if I choose not to eat in the dining room?? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tips....paying ahead and adjusting....

just so that you know, the buffet is not considered an alternative dining restaurant.
The tips for dining go to the waitstaff in the dining rooms
Just curious - the dining rooms have so much more to offer and the food is so much better than the buffet, the waiters are so good with kids why wouldn't you consider dining with your kids in the dining room on non-formal nights? Its just like taking them to a nice restaurant back home.
Old April 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
rrk61970

We are on a limited budget and have saved to pay for this trip. My children own shorts and jeans.....no dressy clothes of any kind. I would rather save the money I would use to buy dressier clothes for them to use on shore excursions or what they would like to do for fun.....I will discuss this further with my husband though and see what he thinks about it.
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The main dinning room staff are not that busy during breakfast and lunch, the wait staff are rotated for work.
The waiters and asst waiters that are not on call for the main dinning room (breakfast & lunch) are assigned to other areas of places to eat, as the buffet.

You may not see them, but they are there giving service in the other eating places.
Bringing out trays of food, serving in the buffet line, busing tables, serving beverages and many other items.

When tipping is done in the main dinning room on the last night, you are also tipping for the service in all the other areas you eat in and where they worked during the day.

The wait staff work hard in all places they are assigned and deserve the tips as set with the guidelines you mentioned.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Post Edited (04-28-05 16:56)

Old April 29th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Shorts are fine in the dining room during breakfast and lunch, so at least try the dining room then.

Except formal nights, you don't need terribly dressy clothes for your kids. A pair of nice slacks for a young man, golf shirt and a couple of simple sun dresses would do fine for your kids.

I would strongly encourage you to try the dining room. It's a wonderful experience that you don't want to miss!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

FYI, those waiters and the busboys come to the buffet area and bus tables etc. so they are still working for you even if you don't eat in the main dining room.

Old April 29th, 2005, 01:16 PM
robin61970

Thanks for the information from all of you...>it helps me to know all these things as I have not cruised before!
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:45 PM
sailgirl

A nice pair of pants and a collared shirt for boys and sundresses for girls would also be ok on formal nights. I wouldn't let a tight clothing budget keep me out of the dining room. This is just my opinion and I know others will disagree. Happy cruising to all!
Old April 30th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Admiral

Don't forget the room service it's free just give a couple bucks tip. I say try the dining room also, no one will be paying much attentiion to what the little ones are wearing.
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:02 PM
First Mate

Don't forget garage sales and thrift stores!

As for formal nights...there is NO requirement to dress formal in the dining room! Any dress, skirt or slacks will do. It's your vacation and you should just enjoy everything, including the dining room! I wear the same moderately "formal" cocktail dress on both of the formal nights in the dining room - bought it on sale for next to nothing. I won't be seeing any of the other passengers again and don't care what they may think of my attire. I do what I can afford to do and have a great time with what I've got! Going on my 9th cruise in 3 weeks!

In fact, I find that most people are so focused on themselves...that they couldn't tell you what you were wearing an hour after having seen you! :o)
Old April 30th, 2005, 10:10 PM
rrk61970

I believe I may have gotten the wrong idea about cruises from watching my MIL and the way she prepares for her cruises. When she took my hubby and his kids 2years ago she took them and bought all new clothes for them so they would be "appropriately" dressed. I got the impression that she did it so as to not be embarrased by their clothing in front of the other passengers....obviously from what I have read here that was not the case....
She has already said something to my hubby about what I will wear on formal night....I sure don't see her offering to buy us any clothes though.boy would hell freeze over if that happened!
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don't worry about the clothes, go an have fun. We saw a bit of everything on the Sensation last week, anything goes. Also, you can go to the info desk, tell them you want the dining room gratuities removed, they smile an say no problem
Old May 8th, 2005, 01:43 PM
First Mate

CherieB I humbly disagree with your advice. We just spent over $7,000 dollars for a 10 day Christmas Cruise and were subjected to all kinds of clothes in the “formal” dining rooms.

Dressing for dinner is, IMHO, an integral part of the overall cruise experience at second seating, 8:30 in the evening we were subjected to tykes, and to some extent the so-called adults that accompanied them dressed in shorts, t-shirts and sandals. I swear the children were looking for a ball pit to play in!

As I have often said on these boards without rules, there is chaos. When one goes swimming, one wears a bathing suit. When one goes bowling one wears bowling shoes, and when one goes to second seating on a cruise one dresses appropriately.

I admire and applaud rrk for her idea of buffet dining.

NCL Boston to Bermuda
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was saying not to worry about going out an buying all new clothes for the family. If Carnival would put some decent food in the buffets people wouldn't be forced to go to the dining room. I was to the point last week on the Sensation I was ready to say ___ with it, go dressed to the dining room in shorts to get some decent food. I didn't want to get dressed up after a long day at the beach, I was dog tired but I wanted food. We got back on the ship, no food was ready, everyone sitting around the dining room waiting while they took pictures of the food. Carnival forces people to do something they don't want to do that is why they show up in the dining room in all kinds of clothing