Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Passenger

Default Travel Insurance

How many people buy travel insurance? Can't decide if I should. I never have, and have been lucky I guess. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Travel Insurance

Hi Tink,
I would not travel without it. There are just too many things that can happen that you have no control over and having that insurance is the best thing to do. We've even had to make claims the last 2 cruises, so it does pay off and its not that expensive for peace of mind.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM
Passenger

What types of things have you used it for. I can think of things like, medical, lost luggage, etc, but what other kinds of things would it cover.

Where do you purchase it?

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Admiral

We purchased ours through our TA when we booked the cruise. I definitely wouldn't cruise without it. ---this was posted on chit-chat---- (sorry if I shouldn't have cut/pasted it)

Travel insurance story
Author: Y2C (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: 05-16-05 20:00

We got back from the Mercury yesterday, Sunday May 15.
Here is a reason to have travel insurance.

A woman on our cruise last week fell while carrying a tray from the buffet and broke her hip. This was in the port of Manzanillo. The ship sailed an hour late waiting for an ambulance to take her off.
In Puerto Vallarta I spoke with the individual that coordinates with the cruise ships and ports for amblatory care. She was in the process of making all the arrangements.

NOW, here is the biggie, no travel insurance. The cost of all the special services to get this person back to her home town (Sacramento, CA) will be about $23,000.
She is doing fine by the way.

You never know what might happen, so a lesson learned, be safe not sorry.
__________________________________________________ _________________

Post Edited (06-02-05 15:06)
Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Passenger

I guess I'll look into it. Don't want to spend that kind of money. Doesn't regular health insurance cover something like that?

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Hello Tink63,

Your normal insurance rarely covers you outside the United States. Check with your insurance company to be sure. Remember cruise lines are registered outside the USA and that becomes a sticky situation even docked at US port concerning your own medical insurance.

Some items that can occur is someone in your family may be gravely ill and have to cut your cruise short, insurance pays. There are many items that the travel insurance covers other than medical and what you mentioned above.

There are many instances where passengers are injured on excursions and require attention. Delayed flights and miss the ship and cruise. The list of why to buy insurance is endless.

I know it may seem a waste of money if everything goes right, but that one instance can cost you your life savings.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Thanks, it really does make sense to have it. Its better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I wouldn' t travel without it. Try insuremytrip.com for several options and prices.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Well I broke down and bought some. Found a basic coverage that seems pretty good for 112.00 for 2 people. Covers cancellation 100% and basic medical and 100,000 medical evacuation, lost luggage, delayed luggage, delay of trip, missed flight, etc.

I guess those are the basics.

I got it from Travel Guard through insuremytrip.com.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I do feel better now.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Travel Insurance

Hi Tink,
If you should have any medical emergency, your regular coverage should cover it, minus the decuctables, etc., but then after they pay your claim, you send it into the travel insurance company and they should pay any remaining costs to you. One thing our regular insurance will not cover, is any medical transportation costs, like helicopters to the closest hospital and that can run into thousands, just not worth the risk if someting like that should happen and I've seen it much too often while cruising. It will also cover missed flights, etc...

On our last cruise we had a death in the family and had to leave the cruise after only 2 days, fly home from San Juan, spend a night in a hotel in Miami before we could get the rest of the way home. It did take too long, but eventually we were paid back for the extra costs in getting home and the un-used portion of the cruise, otherwise we'd have been out all the extra travel expenses and 6 days of a cruise we didn't get to enjoy, so yes its worth it, and even if you don't need it, you are covered in case of anything like that.

The cruise before that we had some medical expenses that were paid for after our medical coverage paid their portion, so again, it was worth having.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I never cruise without the insurance. I always get the insurance that CCL offers, however, my parents use an outside travel insurance agency that covers far more than the cruiseline insurance policies do. Due to my mothers medical history, this is the best option for them. I would look at your needs for insurance, then make a decision best suited to your situation. They pay more for the insurance, but the peace of mind is worth it for what they pay for their cruises. We have only had to use it once, but it saved us a lot of $$$.

Jodi

Old June 3rd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Thanks so much for all the kind responses. I slept so well last night knowing that for just over 100.00 my boyfriend and I are covered for our vacation. What really pushed me over the line was the fact that we are traveling during hurricane season.

Thanks again for the help.

Old June 7th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Steve Tanenbaum

We travel six month/year and have written two travel guides with a major sectioni devoted to travel insurance. Aside from very sound advice via other posts here's my two sense...
We have purchased dozens of policies over the years. Our recommended policy is
Travel Insured Internations. Much has to do with very small print, exclusions and pay out limits for such as cameras versus jewelry etc. Ok you already have the Travel Guard policy and it is a good company.

You mention Luggae insurance...not so...personal belongings insurance and no fault at that. Meaning....we have filed numerous 'small' post trip claims so that we often receive 40-100% of the premium cost back by way of these non major claims. Hey, you pay the premium, its primary coverage (hopefully) so no claim is too small.

Back to personal belongings.... You arrive home and find luggage damaged but have no idea when or where it happened on the trip or you are on an excursion and leave a bag of just purchased goodies, souvenirs etc. on the restaurant table never to be seen again OR your $100 walking shoes are damaged by salt water tha roll over your blanket on the beach OR you drop your camera overboard OR last trip to Maui my Casio was lost during snorkeling.... Patty needed $200 shipboard treatment plus crutches though covered by Kaiser (CA) much easier to file the PRimary coverage claim on the travel policy for full quick reimbursement AND SO ON.... point being much more than baggage lost or damaged at airports. Rather total coverage and small
losses ($25 -$200) are common and should be filed since the coverage is so broad.

My favorite caveat/example. Cruise couple is en route to the airport, car ahead crashes, they are delayed, miss plane, ship and cruise and they are out $3000. Many policies, including ship recommended ones, pay ZERO because the couple was NOT involved DIRECTLY in the accident. Travel Insured pays when a delay is caused by UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES so same example they pay the $3000. Bummer that much of this resides in the micro small print. Rule of insurance is that broader policy coverage language favors the policy holder and RULES! Enjoy the cruise and welcome to the PEACE OF MIND UNIVERSE.

PS: My favorite claim: BEAN BAG (used to steady camcorder on window ledge) fell off ledge outside of van. Could not retrieve because LARGE LION was standing near bean bag!
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:33 AM
Passenger

We are leaving July 7th for a cruise - last year we purchased through Carnival - this year when we bought the cruise they didn't even mention the insurance. I had a brain hemmorhage completely unexpectedly the day before we were leaving for vacation in 2003 - in fact we were packing the suit case when it happened - I spent 23 days in NICU. So I do realize the importance of having insurance. If I tried to buy through inusremytrip which policy is the best? Or should I just pay the $79.00 a person and go through Carnival? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Francis

We are on a PPO w/BCBS & they told me we would be covered but it would be out of the network.
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:11 PM
FodorsPeter

Whether you need insurance or not is a much debated subject. I, personally, have never had it and in twelve cruises with four people each time, I have saved more than the price of a cruise.

The more important question is whether you already have travel insurance and just don't know it or recognize it. There are a number of credit cards that cover various parts of the travel risks - interruption, accident, lost or damaged personal property. Your homeowners insurance will usually cover lost or damaged luggage.

If you MUST have insurance, check these things out before you lay out unneccesary cash.

Peter
Old June 21st, 2005, 09:30 AM
SusieG

Hi- I am having a hard time deciding also about the travel/cruise insurance.
What is a "fair" price for this insurance.

Thanks
Susie
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's really very simple... if you don't buy insurance, you are SELF insuring... meaning that if ANYTHING happens to affect your trip or your health YOU are responsible for all the costs involved.

IF you're willing to take that chance, you are acting as your own insurance company... and all the responsibilities that goes along with it. If you can afford to take that chance, I hope you're rich! <G>

Aside from all the reasons you might have to cancel a trip or don't make it to the ship (all you'll lose is your cruise fare and transportation costs), I'm much more concerned by the "anything can happen scenario".

What if you take ill during a cruise, or fall and are seriously injured. Are you prepared for to pay $15 - $30,000 to be medi- vacd from the ship?

Insurance is based on a percentage of the cost of the cruise... but covers SO MUCH more. For $75- $150/person I'd rather someone else take the risk of those big bills.

Check out insuremytrip.com. Third party insurance is cheaper, with much better coverage, than the cruise line policies.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
SusieG

Thanks so much

I am going with the insurance.. better to be safe than sorry!

Susie

Thanks again
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
FodorsPeter

Kuki - for a feature editor on this site, you are truly irresponsible with your advice. You make it sound like any accident or loss that happens on a cruise will come directly out of your pocket if you don't purchase insurance.

This is not true and I expect you know that - why are you trying to motivate posters with fear instead of good, solid information. Didn't you read my post on this subject a few above yours? This person may have coverage thru various means - a credit card, homeowners insurance or even their company medical plan. You don't know.

The real point is that you are someone who needs to remain unbiased and deal strictly with facts. You have some responsibility on this board. What you say will greatly influence those that don't know better. I hope Cruisemates quality assurance process reviews the editors responses as well as the rest of us.

Peter
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Travel Insurance

Peter,
I don't see what Kuki said that is not true. There is no insurance besides additional travel insurance that will cover lost luggage, missed flights and even missing the cruise due to a late flight. At least my medical coverage or credit cards will not cover anything like that. We recently would of lost all the moneys for a cruise and had additional cost in coming home from a cruise in only 2 days...Because we bought the travel insurance for only $110.00 for both of us, our additional costs were covered, hotel costs and the un-used portion of the cruise also covered...

It just makes sense to pay the additional cost and have it, rather than loose it all because of something that happens, could cost thousands. Basically, thats what Kuki is stating, all true!

I think you've been extremely lucky that you had accident free trips and hope you continue to do so, the extra cost for the insurance IMO is small compared to what you could pay if something happens, I know, its happened to us and hopefully not in the future.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Author: FodorsPeter (ip70-178-100-133.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: 06-22-05 20:29

Kuki - for a feature editor on this site, you are truly irresponsible with your advice. You make it sound like any accident or loss that happens on a cruise will come directly out of your pocket if you don't purchase insurance

What I posted is EXACTLY true.. any accident (unless the fault of someone else who can be held responsible) or other loss that happens WILL come directly out of your pocket if you don't have insurance.

That's not to say that some losses wouldn't be covered by a person's homeowner's policy (like a lost item), or it may be even possible that someone's health insurance covers out of country travel (but those policies would be rare).

In any case, it IS insurance that covers the situations. Anyone having a standing insurance policy that covers all the eventualities involved in travel would be VERY rare... if it exists at all.

Anyone having such a policy would know about it. Anyone else needs to purchase seperate travel insurance... or the bill for any incident is their own responsibility!

Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:24 AM
FodorsPeter

What Donna said makes my point: "There is no insurance besides additional travel insurance that will cover lost luggage, missed flights and even missing the cruise due to a late flight."

There is!!! Between my credit card travel insurance (that I don't pay extra for, in fact don't even have an annual fee), my homeowners insurance and my Company medical plan - I am fully covered for any of those things and more. There isn't anything that the purchased travel insurance would cover me for than what I already have. It would be stupid for me to purchase it.

And then Kuki, when you say "Anyone having such a policy would know about it", this isn't true either. The vast majority of the people on these boards don't realize that they already have coverage. Something you may not know about our Canadian or European friends that participate here is that travel insurance coverage is quite common with their credit cards - a little rarer here in the states.

If you would go back and re-read your post (especially the first sentence), it is telling relatively uninformed readers that they would be out of their minds if they didn't PURCHASE travel insurance. Again, my point is as a spokesperson for this site, you have to be ultra-careful how you phrase things. These people might already have what they need or most of what they need already. Advise them to check that out first and then, perhaps, purchase travel insurance.

Peter
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Peter, many, many medical policies will not cover expenses if you are out of the country. Not only that, but with the high cost of insurance, lots of people have maximums which will be FAR exceeded by a $30,000 medical evacuation.

If you have insurance that covers a high cost evacuation, loss of luggage, reimbursement if for some reason you miss a cruise, then you are one lucky man. Most people don't.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
FodorsPeter

It just kills me to read these responses. How in the world do you know that "many, many" company medical plans don't cover those things. You can't possibly know that. As far as limits are concerned, my credit card limit for coverage is $400,000 - more than enough. My company is self-insured and does cover med-evac and foreign country treatment. We have 100,000 employess, so I guess there's at least that many who don't need to purchase insurance. How do you know that the poster isn't employed by my Company?

It's unfortunate, but many people have know idea what there medical insurance covers and what it doesn't. Yes, it might be that there's doesn't - but it might be that it does. Everyone's advice on this topic should be to check first for what you have and not simply purchase the insurance.

Peter
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Something you may not know about our Canadian or European friends that participate here is that travel insurance coverage is quite common with their credit cards - a little rarer here in the states.

Actually I am Canadian, and am very familiar with credit card programs. None that I know of cover travel insurance, other than having programs to join at an additional cost. Many will also sell you flight or health insurance, sure their insurance partners.

Fact is most health insurance programs here, and in the U.S. do not cover out of country medical expenses. There may be some exceptions (and you and those in your company are very fortunate if yours does), but not many plans are so all encompassing. Even if you do have that coverage, it's unlikely that same insurance would cover things like trip cancellations, if for example a relative became ill.

Every insurance policy I have seen has exclusions, and one should be very careful to check them thouroughly.

I off course agree that people should check carefully into what type of coverage they have in place, from other sources, before deciding whether to purchase more.
However, people are taking a huge gamble to undertake out of country travel without ample insurance coverage from whatever source.... they are simply insuring themselves.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:14 PM
Admiral

Hi Peter,
Its true, if you need to be taken by helicopter from the ship to the next closest hospital, regular insurance does not cover that.. That alone can run into the thousands, I certainly don't want to pick up the tab for that. We've also had a medical issue on the cruise before last, there were things our regular insurance didn't cover, but thats where the travel insurance kicked in, it was covered with them....we saved hundreds by having that coverage and close to 2 thousand with our last claim.....so it does pay to take it out. I just purchased more for our next cruise and for the both of us, only $111.00..., so I can't complain.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
FodorsPeter

I'm sure people are tiring from reading this post, but Donna, you keep coming back with statements that are simply incorrect. Remind me to stay away from this board on Tuesdays.

You print: "Its true, if you need to be taken by helicopter from the ship to the next closest hospital, regular insurance does not cover that."

Read my post. My regular insurance DOES cover med-evac. Now, it may be true that your regular insurance doesn't, but that's not what I've been saying.

And Kuki - would you like for me to post several credit cards offered in Canada that DO provide travel insurance without an additional fee? I'd be happy to, because I know they exist. You are only speculating that they don't. Please, stick with the facts; not something you conjure up to support your position. You and Donna seem to be on the same wavelink when it comes to knowing what Corporate America has for employee health plans. You use words like "not many" based purely on speculation and not fact. Part of my responsibility with my current employer is to research what other companies in our field are offering for employee benefits so that we can remain competitive in the labor market. It would interest you to know that "most" of the fifty some companies we researched were self-insured; and as such offered many more benefits to their employees than companies using big insurance companies. This is the trend in the U.S. No one other than their employees know what coverages they have or haven't. If you are formulating your position based on things you've read about Insurance Company coverages; that doesn't necessarily apply in "most" cases.

Now I remember why I don't visit this site very often.

Peter
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Peter,
I would check your insurance, mine sure doesn't cover med-vac....I also have coverage with one of the largest well known health insurance companies, so I do know that I am correct....

For us, I just don't travel without it, there are too many varaibles that come into play, and I don't want to be out all that money, just because I didn't have coverage....if you are fine not having it, thats OK too..

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Peter..

I'm not denying that there MAY be companies who offer out of country travel insurance in their benefits package. What I am saying that it is not common, and not even prevelant.

I have no doubt many of the large employers are self insuring, but doubt very seriouly that many offer the same sort of health coverage packages for out of country travel.

So far you've been posting "facts" as you state them. If indeed you can post facts with company and insurerers names to support your statements, that I can research, I'd be happy to state that, and deviate from my position. And those facts would be of some benefit to readers of this site.

Even some clips from your own benefits package would be helpful to the discussion.

Now I remember why I don't visit this site very often

Could it be because you have difficulty having a discussion without being insulting?