Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:16 AM
First Mate

Default Leaving from NJ

What would be the closest airport we should fly into in order to leave from the NJ/Liberty port? Is this a safe area and are there hotels near the pier? Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Leaving from NJ

Closest airport would be Newark Liberty (Newark ,New Jersey) . There are airport hotels surrounding the airport and business hotels like Sheratons etc in the surrounding communities.
I don't think there is much of anything in the immediate area of the port in the way of hotels or even neighborhoods. As I recall the immediate area is industrial.
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:56 AM
First Mate

How far is the port from the airport and hotel area? Thanks so much for your help!
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Leaving from NJ

Bayonne (which is where the port is) can't be more than a few miles (perhaps 4 or 5 at the very most) from the Newark airport area .
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:12 PM
BMK

Pappa Bill is absolutely correct. Many of the hotels offer free aiport shuttles to and from the teminals. I know that the Holiday Inn and the Wyndham are among them. It would be worth checking to see if they also offer shuttles to the pier as it is not very far. Unfortunately, if you stay near the airport you really cannot venture out, it is not a great area. Closer to the pier, there is a Marriott Courtyard but there is nothing to see or do over there either with the exception of a hugh outlet mall. Good luck and have a great trip.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:58 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info. The outlet mall got my attention and sounds great. Of course my husband won't like it. Maybe I won't tell him until we get there!!
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Newark AP (EWR) is the closest but La Guradia (LGA) and Kennedy (JFK) aren't that far -- maybe 30 miles tops, if that, which in NYC/NJ traffic can take 30 minutes or 2 hours. I'd check prices for flights at all 3 APs. There can be substantial differences. Then factor in the costs of transportation & time; don't forget the tolls.

The outlet malls are pretty good & you can get a decen, clean hotel room at a reasonable price ~~ around $85 per night, or cheaper if you hunt / bid. If it's your first time in the NY metro area you may want to consider splurging & staying in NYC itself but realize that is going to be about $200 per night for a tiny room.