Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to CeCe
Default Doctor Letter for Meds

Does anyone have a suggestion or sample of letter that a doctor should do for someone carrying meds and equipment needed for Type I diabetic?
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Doctor Letter for Meds

I am not an expert, but I would think a letter on the doctor's letterhead with his/her signature would be a good start. When crossing borders, a copy of a valid prescription for controlled medicines and/or equipment is often a legal requirement.

Old June 9th, 2005, 02:51 PM
clo

And carry all your meds in the prescription bottle(s) that they come in. You might be tempted to combine them to save space but don't do that.
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks. Yes, wanted to combine meds, but guess I better bite the bullet and take the 8 bottles..UGH!
Old June 9th, 2005, 10:54 PM
clo

I've combined OTC things like ibuprofen knowing that if it doesn't make it thru security, it's easily replaced. But prescriptions, no way. Do you use injectible insulin? If so, you may want to check with the airline re bringing needles on board. I know you can but I'd personally check to see the BEST way.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:47 AM
cruisingrandma

We have one of our group who has many health problems. he gets a whole folder from his docor every time we go on a cruise. The dr is very happy to get it ready for him. It gives all his med problems and all the pills he takes and why's. They take it in a forlder in a manilla envelope and keep it in there carry on in case they are asked for any of it. It is good for his own sake to have it all with him also. If he should get sick its all there. Happy cruising...... PS> He has never been asked for any of it. but he has it with him. Once he was asked at a airport to demonstrate his sleep apnea machine he carries . But then they realized what it was and said oh ok go ahead.
Old June 11th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

If you have major medical problems the doctors letter, on his/her letterhead, describing your condition, medications, dosages and emergency contacts is a good idea in the event you become ill.

The best thing you can have in the event you are questioned about your medicine by officials is the prescription and having it in the original container with the pharmacy label.

I have injectable medication that I keep with its prescription and with a doctors letter. I do keep my other medications in a daily dosage container but carry copies of all scripts in the event I am questioned. So far I have not. DEA is not looking for small quantities of personal use medications.

I did see an instance of a lady who had large bottles of vitamins, in an unmarked bottle, who was questioned.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks to all. Dr. has given us a small statement on his letterhead stating that he is a patient and requires diabetic equipment (it is listed) and then attached a list of medications with dosages on it. Dr. indicated that this would be sufficient In addition we will carry alll meds in original bottles. We flew several times to Europe pre-911 and never thought a thing of it...so this is a little different. Can't wait for our trip.
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: Doctor Letter for Meds

Also - since I live in a Mexican border state we hear this stuff. Do not be tempted to buy things like Valium in large quantities and bring them back. If you have a valid doctor's prescription and it is not a schedule A drug you are allowed to bring back something like 2 months worth for personal use. You must leave them in their original containers when bringing them in and declare them.

If you violate this - if it is a small amount you just dropped in your purse or pocket you might get off easy, and they will just take them away from you (no guarantee, though, you might be the one they choose to make an example of). But if it is a larger amount and you are obviously trying to evade detection you can go to a Mexican prison for 6 months to a year.