Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:06 PM
clnscheffer

Default rain during cruise

Hi!

We leave Wed for our first cruise to the W. Caribbean on the Empress. My concern is that it will rain the whole time. What is there to do if it does rain? Do they still do the excursions? We are scheduled to do snuba and Tulum.

Thanks and God bless,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: rain during cruise

Chances are it will not rain all day, every day. YOu may see an occasional shower, but they rarely last all day, so go ahead with your excursions and see what happens. If they do have to cancel due to a weather issue, you will get credit for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Admiral

don't worry about that. It does rain, but its usually just showers in the afternoon that last about 30 minutes. It usually is a nice gentle warm rain. They won't cancel an excursion because of a little rain.
May i pass my personal tip onto you? Don't even look at the weather forecast for the cruise,just be aware if a hurricane is brewing- that could alter your ports.-double check the refund policy of your tour operator if you have booked on your own. IF you booked with the cruise, don't worry, they will refund your money. i have known people(friends) who would totally stress out because they would check, check and double check the forecast for the islands, it would drive me nuts, i would tell them that i don't care, i am not going to get all stressed-out over a forecast, and heck if it rains it rains, big deal i'm not going to melt.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

There is so much to do if it rains. It rained on us, and the ship was alive with activity. Some excursions were cancelled, but there were others still going, and you always have the beach, shopping. We were on the Lido deck when it started to rain, and we just sat and watched the people covering themselves and running, because they were getting wet. Why was this funny? because they had been in the pool. Duh

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Do yourself a favor go to the dollar store and buy cheapo ponchos, they are like plastic bags with hoods, and sleeve in them. I brought one it rained in Costa Rica, but hey I was in the rain forest!
My tour was not cancelled although I thought we would have seen more animals if it was sunny we still saw exotic birds, crabs of various colors, monkeys, and lizards, as well as sloths and butterflys. I have great pictures of us in the canoe wearing our ponchos.They sold the exact same ponchos I paid 50 cents for for $3.00 and after the cruise I just tossed them out.
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:25 AM
kcmom

Default Re: Re: rain during cruise

If it is not thunderstorming, will they still do the scuba excursions?
Also, is there a way to know the weather forecast for upcoming ports while you are on the ship? I just wondered if they would let you change your shore excursions to something more appropriate for the rain if you needed to. For example, change from a day at the beach to a sight seeing bus tour or something.......

kcmom
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Yeoman

As long as the seas arent rough and its not storming, the water tours should go on as planned. However, storms can pop up quickly on the water so be sure to listen to the captain about their recall system to get you back on board. I worked in the FL Keys as a scuba instructor and it seemed storms would quickly move in and out. All dive and snorkel boats should go over their recall system (usually banging on metal, a horn, etc) to get you back on board. We saw several water spouts and rode out several storms on the boat. One time I was 50 ft underwater at night thinking someone was going nuts with a camera and flash. When I got back to the surface, it was storming pretty good.

alison

PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: rain during cruise

If for some reason they end up cancelling your excursion and there is space available on another one, yes, they will let you change, but they have to be the ones to cancel that day for weather reasons or any other reasons they can't do that excursion. We've had that happen to us and were able to do something else.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Passenger

It rained our entire cruise almost. And when it wasn't raining it was very windy and cloudy. We still did our stingray excursion. The water was VERY choppy and terrible for snorkling and underwater pictures. We ended up going the week Tropical Storm Arlene hit. We watched the weather on CNN in our room. I hope no one ever has the weather we had but hey when mother nature says it is time to storm well she wins. There were things to do onboard and it isn't the cruiselines fault when it rains. I was very disappointed since I was more into laying in the sun then watching the onboard gameshows etc. But like everything in life....you make the best of it.
Happy Sunny Sailing.

Angie
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Admiral

>>Also, is there a way to know the weather forecast for upcoming ports while you are on the ship?>>

Yes. Buy internet time on the ship and check out a weather site. I like wunderground.com. Easy to use and has forecasts for pretty much anywhere in the world.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old June 26th, 2005, 11:19 PM
MaureenR

Since we're talking about rain.. what does happen to a cruise if a hurricane whirls in either just before the cruise embarks? OR while you are on your cruise? Has anyone been in this situation? We are planning our cruise for Oct 2006.. We know its cheap that time of the year because of hurricane season.. Would we loose all the money spent on the cruise tickets?
Old June 27th, 2005, 12:38 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The captain will steer clear of the hurricane.....your itinerary will probably be revised or switched totally......for example if there is a hurricane in the Eastern Caribbean, you might switch to a Western Caribbean itinerary or have the order of your ports reversed if there is little or no damage....a port may be replaced with a sea day. There are contingency plans in place, but substituting ports or changing the order of ports does depend on the ports ability to handle extra ships, etc. Unless a hurricane is impacting your port of embarkation or debarkation, your cruise will go on as scheduled, just maybe a different itinerary than the one you planned on.