CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   What is the BEST airline/travel agency? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/245343-what-best-airline-travel-agency.html)

Duke June 14th, 2005 06:22 PM

What is the BEST airline/travel agency?

I mean the absolutely BEST one with the greatest reputation for the rock bottom cheapest, chinsiest, best deals out there for AIRLINE tickets. What are some innovative ideas to get tickets? (for example, charter planes or wholesale registration).

As for ONLINE sites, what is the best recommended for airline tickets?

Thanks!

Jim Bragg June 14th, 2005 07:40 PM

Re: What is the BEST airline/travel agency?

That is seldom the best site or person who advertises the lowest rates as you must look at ALL the fine print. It is much better to go with an legit agency with a good reputation and spend a couple dollars more, literally a couple dollars in most cases.
Jim

Mike M June 14th, 2005 08:09 PM

Duke,
There are few agencies that give you deals on airfare. There are some ticket brokers out there that may have some deals but many charge additional for their service.

You can use search engines such as Orbitz, QUIXO, to search for fares and get an idea what prices are. Once I find a low price I go directly to the airline's website and I usually beat the price for a few dollars or find a cheaper price. Most third party booking engines, such as Orbitz add a $10 service fee.

When it comes to cruises I RARELY have found that the big boys such as Travelocity or Orbitz cruises can beat many other cruise sources. I did book "once" through Orbitz (National Leisure) for a cruise because they actually did have the best deal. That seems to have been a one time shot.

The key is to shop around. Use some of the advertisers on this site, try Bargain Finder on the Cruisemates Home Page or if you would like to email me I will give you a couple I have been happy with.

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter June 20th, 2005 10:50 AM

Re: Re: What is the BEST airline/travel agency?

I encourage you to look in our Cruise Bargains area to find some of the most reputable and lowest priced cruise sellers on the Internet. All of our advertisers are reputable and very experienced.

antron June 20th, 2005 12:07 PM

for air travel i always check the airline site and then compare other sites.they usually have the best price with no hidden fees from the airline itself and if they lower the price you get a credit. and if for some reason they change your flight schedule it is easier to deal derectly with the airline to make any different flight schedules that are best for you. so far this has worked the best for me.

Cruznut2 June 22nd, 2005 03:40 AM

I had done a lot of shopping and comparing of ticket prices before purchasing my tickets from Boston to Orlando for September. Orbitz seemed to come in the lowest of all that I checked, $172 rt. Then I called the agency for whom I do outside sales for an air quote they were even lower$165 rt. So I say it might be worth it to check your local travel agency. The best deals are not always online.

Laura

Sunlover June 26th, 2005 09:02 PM

I usually check on bookingbuddy.com or sidestep.com. Great for looking and if I see a deal, I go directly to that airline website. They are usually cheaper sometimes only the fees, etc. sometimes by a great deal. Good Luck!
Cruises I go directly with the cruiseline, except one time I purchased a cruise from priceline. A great deal and I had no problems with anything.