Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 22nd, 2005, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Default Formal night wear for men, suitcoat needed?

We are see sawing back and forth here. Getting ready to depart Destiny So. carib and DH seems to think black dress pants, shirt & tie will be all that is needed for formal night. I agree for son (14) is ok, but for DH? He said he only wore suitcoat last cruise was for the formal photos and then hung suitcoat on back of chair.
So is not wearing a suit coat a faux pas? We are trying to lighten up the packing.
Thoughts?

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Denny

Default Re: Formal night wear for men, suitcoat needed?

Always a lot of opinions on this one, so I will give mine. IMHO, formal means just that. Tuxs or dark suits for the men. Formal does not mean sans coat, or any portion of attire missing. I do beleive that formal nights serve a purpose and enjoy participating. It is nice to see everyone turned out and looking good. Just my opinion. Denny
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Admiral

It's not really formal unless you are dressed formal, is it? If he doesn't want to dress the requested attire he should dine elsewhere that evening.

It's not required to dress formal to enter, and there will definitely be people in there who are not, but what's the point in having formal night if people are going casual?

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

IMHO a lot depends on the cruise line itself. For example, NCL is Freestyle, which means formal is always optional, and resort casual is always acceptable. NCL will designate only one of the restaurants as "formal" on formal night and all the others you wear what you want. On our last RCCL cruise, we sat at a table for 6 and the two other men at our table only wore shirts (no coats), one had on a tie, the other did not. There were probably as many men wearing sport jackets as there were men in tuxedos and suits. I've never been on Carnival, but from the posts I've seen on here, I get the impression this is a more casual cruise line, and attracts a younger clientele, which I would think would lean more towards the nonconvential. I can understand that there are many traditionalists out there who want to see formal nights remain formal. But again, IMHO, I think "the times, they are a changing..." (B. Dylon).
Old June 23rd, 2005, 07:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Whoops...That would be a quote from Bob Dylan, not Dylon!
Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Admiral

pack the suitcoat. The cruise line has a written dress code for formal nights, you can look it up on their web site. Formal is what it is, plain and simple, regardless of how you feel about it. IF you choose to dine in the main dining rooms on formal nights, then you are expected to dress accordingly.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:38 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Formal night wear for men, suitcoat needed?

Thanks, your information proved valuable, referring to cruiseline website which supplied the definition of formal wear ended the discussion. A suit will be packed.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:06 PM
sls

Destiny is very informal. Shorts can even be worn in the dining room the nights you are in Barbados and Aruba. Don't flame me it's in the Capers.

sls
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've never been on Carnival, but from the posts I've seen on here, I get the impression this is a more casual cruise line, and attracts a younger clientele, which I would think would lean more towards the nonconvential

Though you may see more people underdressing on Carnival. You're also likely to see many people "overdressing". On all our Carnival cruises the majority are pretty well "duded up", though after supper quite of you may change to more casual wear.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM
cruisinfan

Last year my husband wore a shirt and tie and dockers on formal night and noone looked at him strange and nothing was said. We did not have the extra money to spend for the suit at the time. We were on a 4day cruise last year so there was only 1 formal night. This year we are going on a longer cruise. We went ahead and bought the suit since we can afford it this year. Why are so many people concerned about what other people wear? Life is too short to worry about something so petty. Some people really need to get a life.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

its not about what everyone is wearing or not wearing. It about courtesy to your host (the cruise line) who has invitied you to dine in a formal setting , which requires a certain type and level of dress.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

It's not about what other people wear -- it's the answer to the Q.

Not wearing a jacket is NOT formal, ever, period.

IMNSHO, men don't look dressed & in fact look sloppy without a jacket. I just don't get it. What's the big deal? Wear the jacket, then take it off when you sit down or get hot. Actually, better yet, give it to me to drape over my shoulders b/c I'm usually freezing. :-D
Old June 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
SharB

On our first cruise, my husband couldn't wear his old suits and so we went to a nice thrift shop and purchased one for him. I really believe saying you can't afford to dress formally means that you aren't aware of the options. We spent $10 a got a dark blue jacket to match a pair of nice dark blue slacks that he already had. I went on eBay and bought two lovely gowns for $25.

I agree with Lisa 100% - look at it this way, if a friend invited you to dinner and asked you to dress formal (OK - maybe your friends wouldn't - but go with the thought) wouldn't you want to contribute to the ambiance?

Shar
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Simple answer...wear the jacket and tie. Formal actually means a Tux but it has been dumbed down to mean a dark suit. It should not be dumbed down more to include a sports coat or God forbid just a long pair of pants and shirt! <G>
Jim