Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2005, 06:44 AM
First Mate

Default Cruisemates please advise

Cruisemates staff:
First of all thank you for your reply. My mother and I will be cruising this fall for 4 days
from Tampa to Cozumel with Carnival. My husband is very concerned about us traveling/cruising without a male present. Please advise on this safety concern. I have
been on 5 previous cruises and have seen many women cruising together without
problems. Any advise you give will be greatly appreciated.
Happy Sailing...........
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:07 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruisemates please advise

I have never cruised without a male present, but a couple of years ago my daughter (16 then) and I took a 5 day vacation to Tampa together. My husband was also nervous about us going. The best advice I can give is to always stay together, even going to the ladies room.

As for cruising, when venturing off the ship, stay close to the port area. If you do an excursion, I would book it through the cruise line just to be sure it is legitimate. Be careful about showing too much cash if you make purchases. Also use a fanny pack for your wallet, camera, etc. or use a messenger style purse that can be hung diagonally across your body. I would also keep jewelry to a minimum when off the ship.

Just be alert to your surroundings and those around you and you should be okay. Have a great and SAFE cruise.

Old July 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
First Mate

My friend, daughter and I did a 5 day cruise without our husbands. We always stuck together, and was just cautious of our surroundings. We were in Cozumel, Belize, and Key West. Just be careful in Cozumel, taxis etc. that you don't get ripped off. I would do excursions through the ship or a reputable company. In Belize we did Cave Tubing with Xtreme and I felt very safe with them. Enjoy!!!
Old July 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
chyna_c

I live in Tampa and have taken 3 solo cruises and I have never felt unsafe at anytime onboard the ship. I have just walked around the ports by myself as well or close behind another group and as long as you keep your eyes open you should be fine. When ships are in port, there are always hords of people in port, it is difficult to tell if someone is alone or just looking at something else while the rest of the group is next door in a shop or an asile over. Have a great time!!!
Old July 1st, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Even with my husband when being approached by the locals on port stops trying to sell you things, I just smile and say "no thank you" and they usually leave you alone. I also agree on going with the ship's tours and not venture out alone, but if you do shopping just off of the ship, I think you both will be just fine...

Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM
rosetattoo

Cruisingbears.....my husband died 20 years ago and if you think that stopped me from ever going on any kind of vacation alone with other women (ooohhhh, what a scary thought), you've been living too much of a sheltered life. Your husband has been living in a cave with all the other Cro-Magnons. My husband never liked traveling anyway so I either went alone or with my girlfriends, Mom, sisters, etc. Do you think women who don't have a male companion are sitting home in dark houses contemplating their lonely fate? Ha! Ha! Also, I have been traveling ALONE (shudder, shudder) with my grandson since he was a year old, Disney, Busch Gardens, Florida Keys, numerous cruises, etc. I know how to drive, I can read a map, I can ask for directions, I'm cautious and ever vigilant, I don't put myself in harm's way, I know how to order off a menu (even printed in a foreign language), I'm organized, I read everything I can lay my hands on about my upcoming trip, I'm prepared and I did it all without a man's help, imagine that. You and your mother will have a great time, empower yourself with confidence, do some research about your cruise, don't stray off the beaten path....Cozumel is beautiful and has some lovely beaches and the shopping area located where the ship docks, is great and is always crowded with shoppers from the cruise ships, there is security everywhere, don't be afraid, you can do it and you'll be a better person for doing it.
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
pcboston

All of the above cruisers are right on the money. I have not had a man to travel with for 6 years but was not about to stop traveling, it is my first love. I started cruising 5 yrs ago and did the first 3 with teenage grandchildren, the next 5 with a daughter. They were all wonderful adventures and we have memories that will last a lifetime. Have also done Disney 3 times with just daughters and grandkids. I have been to Cozumel 3 times on cruises, did ship tours all three times, two of them over to Playa Del Carmen to see Tulum and Xcaret. We went to a beautiful beach in Cozumel the last time for the day and then shopping. Just read up on the area and figure out what you would both enjoy doing. You and your Mom will have a great time together.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Crusingbears

To everyone that replied: My mother and myself are not
affraid to travel alone. The safety concern comes from my husband and my father. If
you just listen to the news at night you would understand why these guys have concerns.
I also know how to drive, read a map, ask for directions, book tours/vacations, and I
have traveled around the US with and without a male present. I'm not sheltered and I
realize that even with a male present there can be trouble. I posted this so I could
reassure my husband. He loves me and he doesn't want anything to happen to us.
Thank you to everyone that took the time to reply.
Happy Sailing................
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It sounds like you have things pretty well under control and can handle it quite well. If you travel around the U.S. on your own and even your own city you can handle a cruise to Cozumel. Thousands of women cruise, each month, without a male companion.

The previous advice has been good. The main thing is to just have a great vacation without your common sense taking one too. <VBG>

Take care,
Mike(Who thinks your husband is probably jealous because he's not going) <g>

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Admiral

One big suggestion, do NOT carry a purse! Whether it's around your shoulder, over your head, whatever....crooks have been known to grab straps and run and can hurt you seriously in the process, which of course is of no concern of theirs.

Enjoy!!!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas