Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:03 PM
Janice Reilly

Default Prescription & non-prescription drugs

I have prescription and non prescription drugs to take on my cruise on the Summitt to Alaska with Celebrity. I have heard you need to bring them in the original bottles. Well, my vitamins come in a bottle of 500 - I take 3 different ones. What are the rules? any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2005, 06:24 AM
rosetattoo

Default Re: Prescription & non-prescription drugs

I take six different vitamins every day and purchased one of those plastic 7 day pill carriers from Walgreens and fill that up and put it in my carry-on luggage, I have never been stopped or questioned about any of my prescription or OTC medicine.
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Admiral

bring along a copy of your prescriptions, bring along the label for your vitamins. Use the 7 day pill containers. Bring travel sized orginal bottles of things like Tylenol, Rolaids, Pepto, Bonnie, Benadryl etc. If you are taking any kind of prescription narcotic, definatley bring that in its orginal prescription container. Chances are nothing will happen, but just in case you are asked, you have documentation. Customs really don't care about your daily maintenance medications, its just if you have a large "stash" that would cause them to search.
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you are planning on taking three, five hundred count, bottles of vitamins you definitely need a new plan. <VBG>

Go with the seven day pill dispensers and you should be fine. If you are taking a large number of the vitamins per day, I would bring the vitamin label with you for identification and the prescriptions for the rest of the medications. What will flag anyone are things out of the ordinary and large numbers of pills are out of the ordinary.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM
claude gareau

Hi,
I also think that the '' search '' really applies to prescription drugs ( Rx ); those
should defenitely be left in their original / labelled containers.
I agree with everybody else,as regards OTC and maintenance pills; stuff you
7 day container and keep a little lsit of what's in there ( for your own use as well
as that of the odd custom officer who would prove to be a little curious ).
Happy sailing.
You picked a GREAT ship; you'll be thrilled.

CG
Old July 7th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Passenger

My mom always takes copies of my dad's prescriptions in case the meds get lost or something.
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:39 AM
AR

For years I've carried prescription and non-prescription drugs in a pill strip (or tray for longer trips). I never worry about original bottles, original labels or anything of the sort.

It is prudent to carry a card in your wallet showing what you take whether you're at home or away and I do that. No one at any border, any airport or anywhere else has ever questioned me on this issue, and frankly it's the least of my worries. If I were to travel to and from Colombia or other such place I might modify my views, but in most of the real world, and for the kind of people who post here (sorry, but profiling does exist, folks), legitimate drugs simply won't be questioned--or probably even noticed.
Old July 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Debster525

Be careful with the 7-day pill containers. I used one of those instead of taking my pill bottles. When our baggage was sent to our room, the whole pill case was crushed and also the medication.
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Prescription & non-prescription drugs

You should always carry your meds in your hand luggage.
Old July 10th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Amen: AR

Placing your meds in your checked baggage is asking for trouble in more ways than one. It risks you losing the medications in the event your luggage is lost, damaged or a dishonest person gets their hands on it. It also puts your prescription medication at risk in the unlikely event it is confiscated. Controlled substances such as narcotics or sedatives should always travel with the person to whom they are prescribed.

I believe that if the medication is important enough for you to have a prescription for it and you have brought it with you on vacation, it is important enough to stay with you. Keep it in your carryon bag.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:37 PM
First Mate

I always take the scriped meds in origianl container. Then I use ziplock bags one for morning one for nights and the the PRN drugs in another. I mark the bags so I know which is when. This keeps them neat in my room and carry on bags. Since I fly to the ports I will need them before I hit the ship. The 7 day strip is 2 days short for me. So I get 2 of the 5 day and have a spare day if we should get so lucky and have to stay at sea.The Safes are big enough I can put my Narcotic meds in the safe to keep them from sight if someone would come in our room.

Destiny,Rhapsody ,Conquest x2
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Admiral

definately do not pack your meds, they should be with you in your carry-on.