Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:32 AM
BrendaS.

Default HELP!! I feel like a dope!

I am getting so darn confused about some cruise terminology. I don't necessarily mean things like "aft" "stern" "port" etc. (I figure "over yonder" will work for most of those.) I'm talking mostly about ship "classes."

People here bandy around words like Millennium Class, Spirit Class, Voyager Class and everyone seems to know just what that all means, but I am totally lost. Now if they were saying Rowboat Class, Innertube Class, Paddleboat Class, or Bigass Boat Class I'd have a pretty good idea what was meant.

Can anyone point me me in the right direction to find out what all this class stuff means. I looked for an online cruise glossary but haven't found any answers.

Thanks for whatever info I can get.

Brenda

I have my first cruise booked for December...please, God, don't let it be an Innertube Class cruise!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:45 AM
cheifmom1

Default Re: HELP!! I feel like a dope!

go to the website for the cruise your are going on. Click on Fleet or ships. They will tell you what class your ship is in. All it really is is a group of ship by the same cruise line that are similar in size and style. this could be the voyager class on rlc. then they may have another class that is bigger with different things to do. That would be another class. So it all depends on which line you are cruising and which ship (group ) you pick. Hope this helps.
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:51 AM
BrendaS.

AHAAA! Thanks! No wonder I couldn't find any info. That does help a lot.

Brenda
Old July 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Admiral

I love it! "Over yonder"! <> I actually tried saying that to an old grizzled Chief Petty Officer once on a US Navy ship when I was a second class PO. I thought the guy was going to blow up! <G> Needless to say I ran like the wind back to my restricted spaces before he could do anything more than sputter or find out who I was. Thanks for bringing back memories of my smart-a$$ remarks and the problems they often got me into.
Jim

Old July 8th, 2005, 02:35 PM
BrendaS.

Jim, I guess it's good I was in the Army instead of the Navy, huh? I clicked your link and and looked at the Glory B cruise and of course it confused me even more... cat 4A, cat 6A, cat 8A...........??? I can see they are successively higher priced and better quality, but where the heck are 3,5,7 and 9A ?? Do they not exist? Yeah, I know I shouldn't sweat the small stuff...but I really hate feeling so ignorant of things I feel I should know...or at LEAST things I should be able to figure out.
Old July 8th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Admiral

On Carnival:
4 - inside cabin
5 - porthole (that little bitty round hole....) or french doors that don't open
6 - oveanview
7 - balcony - obstructed view (darn lifeboats)
8 - balcony
11- suite
12 - penthouse suite

Good question - what happened to 3 and 9?

If you get a Carnival brochure they will group ships in the same class (as far as deck plans go) together so that you can tell, for instance, that a Spirit-class ship is either the Spirit, Pride, Legend or Miracle (Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.....).

Hang around - you'll get the hang of it!

What ship are you booked on for your December cruise?

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 8th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to BrendaS Send a message via Yahoo to BrendaS

WOW Dorothy, thanks! That was so helpful!

I'm going on the 11 day western Caribbean cruise on NCL Dawn. I hope I don't get spoiled on this long cruise so that the shorter ones don't appeal to me later, because I'll probably only be able to afford shorter ones from here on out.

Thanks for your info, I'm not feeling like such a dope now <G>

Brenda
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Well......I don't think the numbers translate for an NCL cruise, but you get the idea...different numbers indicate the type of cabin. Bet you could find out on the NCL site.

An 11 day cruise sounds WONDERFUL. Have fun!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Brenda,
Don't feel bad. It takes many hours, weeks or years of pouring over websites and brochures for people to spout off categories and ship classes like they are the names of their relatives. You will probably have to start doing that and just start reading the message board.

You've taken the first step in learning: Ask. You will always get an answer to your question. You will probably get a snide answer from someone who can't remember when they didn't know "Their aft from a hole in the ground". but don't let that stop you.

The cruise line websites are your best resource on ship classes and cabin categories. They are easier to access and obtain then a brochure. They will tell you almost everything about the the different ships and how the cabins are categorized and the differences.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Mike, I guess it just hadn't dawned on me that some of the terminology is cruiseline specific and not general. Now that I have that figured out I'll be able to research the words I don't understand when I need to.

As far as snide remarks, I think I can deal with them OK. It's never bothered me much to ask questions...that's how I became so smart!! Afterall, I do know my aft from a hole in the ground. My aft is back there and the hole in the ground is over yonder. ;o)

Brenda
Old July 9th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Admiral

Brenda! Like Mike said, ask away. Your cyber cruisemates love to inform-that's what the boards are for-sharing information. Congratulations on your first cruise booking. Now I know you will love your cruise, but remains to be seen whether you'll be adding ______-class ship to your vocabulary, post cruise. If you do, it means you really have gone over the edge. I can "bandy around words like Millennium Class, Spirit Class, Voyager Class" here at CruiseMates without fear of anyone calling the white-coated people. I have to, ah, check my enthusiasm around some of my family and friends.

Check out CruiseMates Cruise Trivia and increase your cruise ship knowledge! ; )

Have you played CruiseMates Cruise Trivia Today?
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
hombre

believe me, you won't get spoiled on an NCL ship; you may just wish you had a shorter cruise!
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hombre, I've read your posts and know you have an axe to grind with NCL, but you can't rain on my parade. I've talked to too many people who have loved NCL, have loved the Dawn, and have loved the itinerary that I'll have.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with NCL but I am not you and I fully expect to enjoy myself. If I listened to every single complaint that I see around here I wouldn't ever cruise at all because every cruiseline has someone to complain about it. If I remember the posts right, you went with NCL one time about 5 years ago and haven't stopped griping yet...it must have been really horrible for you to keep going on about it after this long.

My theory is that if I choose to have a lousy time I will, but if I choose to have a good time I will...it's all a matter of perception.

Brenda
Old July 10th, 2005, 08:52 PM
cheifmom1

Brenda, you are right. We went on NCL sea last march. It was an older ship being retired after this summer. We heard lots of bad things written on the boards about this ship. We read a few good things. We just figured that being on a ship and being waited on hand and foot was better than being in Chicago in March!!! The cabin was not much bigger than a walk in closet and the bed was lumpy. The cabinets and drawers were made out of metal and when the ship vibrated they mad a lot of noise. We paid for a port hole and got one. The view was the basket ball court floor! so all we could see out of our port hole was a bunch of jumping feet! We had a wonderful time anyway. The food was great, The entertainment was wonderful, And the staff was very cooperative. You get out of it what you put into it! If you are expecting a bad time you will have a bad time.
Old July 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Admiral

just so that you know: Millenium Class = Celebrity Cruise Line
Voyager Class = Royal Caribbean
Grand Class = Princess
Spirit Class = Carnival
get it?
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
venice

don't let the "cruise lingo" confuse you....there are little boats (under 300)..mid size boats (300-800)..sort of starting to get big boats (900-1800)...big boats with lots of people (2000-3000)..and I've never seen anything so big boats (3000+)...that's all the terminology you need (VBG)
Old July 11th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

whewwww, just when I think I got it....

Maybe I'll just pretend that I know what all this means. And Venice, I understood what you wrote perfectly! Thanks!

Brenda
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Admiral

of course Brenda you do realize that the only way to truly become saavy when it comes to cruise ship lingo is to go on numerous cruises! such a chore(SIGH)
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, if that's my only choice then I guess I'll just have to do it....darn!
Old July 17th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to TanSwi

This has nothing to do with the "talk" regarding ships, but what do people mean when they are talking about their DH? I'm assuming it's about their husband? Please inform - I feel like I'm out of the loop.
Thanks - Tania
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

You are right Tania.
DH= dear husband (or darling husband)
DW= wife
DD=daughter
DS=son
Old July 17th, 2005, 08:26 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

let me murk the waters more:

On Carnival there are:
Fantasy class
Spirit class
destiny class
and conquest class ships....and a couple others..lol

And don't forget category 1A on Carnival for us solo poor cruisers, which means a closet with a bed in it...well not that bad my last 1A was exactly the same as a category 4 cabin... Good luck getting all the "terms" down, we are all still learning!

Old July 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I'm not sure I will ever learn the lingo, so here is my version. Big,Bigger,Bigest ship. Hole there is the the way to get on the boat. Elevators go up and down. Food is everywhere, pointy end and flat end. Good side is when you can see the port. Bad side is when you can see the sea. Oh well, it's on vacation, so there's no bad side. Your room is a stateroom,bedroom, or cabin. You can have fun in the pointy end and flat end. Someone thinks you look like you know where everything is, you tell them that it is over there. If they think I know, then they will go in the direction I point. You can't wear a dress on the pointy end or the flat end, because your hind end will show.

I have now completed my test to take my next cruise. If you can repeat these things, 5 times, without messing up, you can travel too.

Luanne

Esctasy 2005
Front and back

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

My knowledge of the terminology is about equal to Luanne's. But I think you've got the idea that the "classes" are not really nautical terms but descriptions of ships that have similar size, design, decor, and features particular to the various cruise lines. And the "classes" are different with each line.

I wanted to add that I think the only thing that would spoil an otherwise happy trip for me is a dirty room. And I have been known to clean a hotel room myself rather than wrangle with the housekeeping staff and front desk. And after reading about the Pride of Aloha and the Delta Queen ships, I would do it on a cruise, too. Hey, if spending an hour getting the room the way I want it spares me a week of frustration, then I'll spend it. But I will let them know about it when the trip is over. I know the "correct" thing to do is to call the steward or housekeeping, but this has never worked out well for me. The few times I've tried that have resulted in a sullen-faced person at the door who had obviously gotten chewed out. Things didn't improve. I'm NOT recommending this course of action to anyone, just pointing out ONE of my foibles! Oh, and I can live with dust under the bed or even around the lamp. I'm talking about double-glass doors covered with oily hand prints, hairs all around in the bathroom, handprints on the mirror and stains on the bed. The room was so fabulous I just couldn't leave it, but I did make them bring us clean bed clothes and cleaning supplies.

Gigi

Gigi