CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (
-   -   Legal/Proper ID Documents (

Janice Reilly July 9th, 2005 07:50 PM

Legal/Proper ID Documents
I just picked up my Celebrity travel booklet from the travel agent today. I started reading it and under ID required it stated that you must either bring a passport or birth certificate/government issued ID. I have my orginal birth certificate and my GA driver's license. So I thought I was set to go to Alaska on July 28, 2005. The booklet also stated if the name on "this" booklet does not match your IDs, call your travel agent or Celebrity. So I called Celebrity to let them know my name on the travel document is my my married name therefore it would not match my birth certificate. She said i would need my marriage certificate! I told her my travel agent did not tell me about this and she said well, you will need it. Has anyone been on a cruise lately that was told this same information. I have no idea where my marriage certificate is - it has been 20 years ago!! I called the Immigration number and the are closed until Monday. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dorothy July 9th, 2005 08:01 PM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
I sailed once with only my driver's license (which had my married name) and my birth certificate (which had, obviously, my maiden name) without a problem.

Of course a passport is the way to go, but you probably don't have time.


Janice Reilly July 9th, 2005 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
I have e-mailed Celebrity to see if I get the same answer from another employee. No, I don't have a passport and don't want to spend $80.00 for it. My Mom would have to purchase one too.

Thanks for your input. I hope to get the "real" answer from them soon!

beenie weenie July 9th, 2005 10:22 PM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
Were you married in the same area where you currently reside? If so, you should be able to go to the courthouse and get a certified copy of your marriage license. Even if you were married somewhere else. often all it takes is a phone call / fax and a few dollars and they'll send it to you.
I have a passport, but have my marriage license paperclipped inside my passport, because my passport is in my maiden name and it doesn't expire for two more years. The person you spoke to at Celebrity gave you good advice and is correct that you need to have official documentation to explain the name change. They may not ask for it, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Mike M July 9th, 2005 11:52 PM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents

Mike M July 10th, 2005 12:13 AM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents

The "real" answer may not be the one you want to hear. Yes, you do need to have your birth certificate and a copy of your marriage certificate to show the name change.

The sad part is that you may not have to show your marriage certificate but if you are asked for it and can't produce it YOU WILL NOT board the ship.

You should contact the county courthouse or hall of records of the county you were married in and get a copy of your marriage license. Do it as soon as you can.

Also if you are going to cruise the Caribbean next year, or Canada in 2007 you will be required to have a passport.

Take care,

sailgirl July 10th, 2005 09:26 AM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
I have always brought along my marriage cert. They never asked for it yet. I wouldn't take a chance.

Janice Reilly July 10th, 2005 02:30 PM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
Thanks for all the information from all of you! I will call tomorrow and find out how to get my marriage certificate!

JGF July 10th, 2005 08:55 PM

Re: Legal/Proper ID Documents
In thte year 2005, given all the security concerns, you need a passport--get a passport.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1