Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Patticake

Default carrying on luggage, locking luggage,

11 of us leaaving this sunday on the victory( and now hurricane emily is churning its way right in the path we are going and i cannot believe it, i am so upset about our excursions, as they may be changed or cancelled.)

now for my questions. some of our family members are asking me about carrying their luggage onboard instead of giving it to the porters. i have called carnival twice and i get a different story each time. i have been given the rule if it is no bigger than 11"by !7" you can take a many pieces at this measurement. then another person told me just a little carry on bag is all you are allowed. what is the story? also if you leave luggage with porter it should locked, correct? some of the garment bags do not come with locks and we need to purchase locks. help me quick, as we only have three days. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: carrying on luggage, locking luggage,

The size of the luggage that you can carry onboard has to fit through the scanner. The scanner is about the same size as in an airport, therefore what you take onboard has to be about the same size as a carry on.

I would tell the people you are cruising with to bring a carryon with them onboard, with a change of clothing, their medications and valuables. Give the rest of their luggage to the porters. Lock those bags or use cable ties/zip ties to secure the luggage and garment bags. You can get cable ties at any Wal-Mart, K-mart or hardware store. Put a nail clipper in the outside, zippered pocket of the bag to snip them off once the bag is delivered to your room.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since we always have to fly into the port, our luggage is not locked and have just turned them over un-locked to the porters and have been OK. Anything of real value is in the carry-on anyway. I've always heard that you can only carry on what will fit through the scanners, the rest just give to a porter with a few dollars per bag and you should be fine.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
pcboston

We use tiewraps for flying also and carry our luggage locks in our purse or carryons. After we get outside the airport, we put our locks on the luggage. Coming home, we do it in reverse, remove locks and install tiewraps before checking into the airport. Small hassle, but better than worrying.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Admiral

you can bring aboard as many carry-ons as you wish as long as they fit thru the scanners, which are the same ones used at the airports to screen your carry-on luggage. We use the cable ties to lock our luggage. You can use regular locks on your checked baggage when you cruise, just not when you fly.
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Admiral

What Mike has said is great advice and Donna also about flying with the cableties. The only thing further I would advise is to get these ties in differant colors so that they are not easily replaced without your knowledge.
Jim

Old July 18th, 2005, 09:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: carrying on luggage, locking luggage,

I grabbed colored cable ties for our bags--they worked great--I brought a fistful. There is always some reason you need to reopen a suitcase you already put a tie on.
We just returned from Destiny--our two HUGE pullalongs made it home. One suitcase is still missing. At least most of critical items are already home. And yes, it is locked with cable ties.
The airline (continental) said with Houston almost being closed down due to weather, there bag locator updates are way behind. I think one reason the bag may be missing--they somehow reversed my sons name - instead of using our last name they typed in "Jr." as last name....I'll post a trip report soon. So much unpacking, laundry etc to do.
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Admiral

You might also look into buying the special TSA approved combination locks. You can put them on and the TSA has a special tool to open them - they don't need your combination. Brookstone and Sharper Image both sell two for $20. I've found them well worth the investment ... and yes, TSA has opened them - they leave a paper in the luggage stating they were opened.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012