Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Dinner time...

When I booked my Disney cruise I requested early seating.They confirmed it..seemed like a no brainer. Yesterday I checked on the disney site and it says my dinner is at 830pm! Due to my medical condition I can not eat this late at all..I will get sick. I wrote the Travel agent TWICE and have not had any feed back. What should I do? At this moment I am pretty upset about poor customer service and not fullfilling what they said they would give me. If during reservation they would have said only late seating is available I would have not booked this cruise. Please I need some advise!

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:58 PM
claude gareau

Default Re: Dinner time...

Hi,

Your best approach : CALL the cruise company customer service dept.,
have your booking ## ready, and impress your demands for what is an essential
early dinner assignment,no ifs, ands,or buts. You may not have a CONFIRMED
table ## as a result, but you will be far ahead of where you're at now; at least, your
demands will be on record where it matters most to get a pleasant solution.
At the present time, your TA is obviously paying no attention whatsoever, and looking
at the web site will only confirm what you already know now,without any source of
solutions.
I'm positive you'll be better off after that call to DisneyCruise....and feeling the way
you should about an upcoming cruise: excited with anticipation !!!

Happy days ahead
Cheers
CG
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
BoosterMom

I have always requested early seating but always got late seating. When you get on the ship, immediately go to the maitre d to request a change. He will be stationed in a location just to do this for people. They try to honor your request when possible. We have even gotten our seating changed before dinner the first night even though they said to go to your regular table at your assigned time. We went back to our cabin before 6:15 seating (we were assigned 8:30) and found a card saying we had already been changed. In fact, all 8 of us at the table had requested early, been assigned late and got changed to early.

Remember, if they CAN'T change you, you can always order room service for a snack or go to the deli, buffet, etc. for a snack to tide you over.
Old July 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Every time we've cruised, we've specified early seating too, and every time, we've ended up with late. We have no reason to doubt that our TA has requested early seating, as he is well aware of our preferences, but if one thing has been annoyingly consistent with all the different cruise lines we've ever sailed, it's getting the wrong seating assignment and having to resolve the problem on our own! Calling the cruise lines does no good--they refer you back to the TA (unless you booked through the cruise line). Calling the TA, does no good either. The cruise line will assure the TA it's been changed, but when you get your Sea Pass card, there you are on the late seating! In every instance, with every cruise line we've been on, the only solution has been to march right in to the maitre d, as soon as we're on board and tell him to please change us. I'm happy to say that we've never had any problems at all, and believe me, it would be a huge issue with us as well if we got stuck with late seating. It's been our experience that this is not uncommon at all, because we have lots of company at the maitre d's station at the beginning of every cruise wanting to change their seating assignment. I wouldn't loose sleep over it. Enjoy your cruise!

RCI Enchantment of the Sea

NCL Sun

HAL Maasdam
Old July 19th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Dinner time...

I thank everyone for the great tips. Still no word from the TA! The last thing I wanted to do was to run to the maitre d and request my dinner times when we just boarded. If they do not change it I will be in a mess thats for sure.

Old July 19th, 2005, 04:22 PM
BoosterMom

Sue:

I can just about guarantee that your TA can't change it. I think the cruise lines must do this to give us something to do right after we get on the ship. We commented in January that it does make you get out that little map they hand you so that you can find where the matire d is stationed!! I agree with the other poster, there is usually a line of other "friends" who want their seating changed too. Evidently, many of them will want YOUR seating time. Plan on doing this right after you get on board. I don't know how they do it on Disney, but on Carnival, your seating time, table and dining room is printed on your sign & sail card. If so with Disney, be sure to check it at check in to see if TA has been able to pull off a small miracle before you board. I agree again with the other poster, don't lose sleep over this. I'll bet they can change it after you board if it isn't done before.
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Admiral

I might mention too that your dinner seating request is only a request and NOT guaranteed. The dining room has a fixed number of tables and seats and they cannot accomodate the entire ship in a single dinner seating.

But the maitre 'd should be able to change your dinner time. Be sure to board early so you can get to the maitre 'd' s station first. And it might be helpful to have a $10 spot with you for his trouble.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Sue, if its an absolute must for early seating, and Claude's suggestion of calling Disney direct doesn't work, cancel your booking. That will either light a fire under your TA and Disney or save you from a potential medical disaster.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Admiral

Marc the cruise is paid for and it is too close to get all my money back. Thomas thanks for the $10!

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Sue,
This is a medical issue, and should be addressed prior to the cruise. I would call the TA, if he/she is not available, I would escalate (ask for her/his manager) explain you placed so many calls to the TA and left messages and your call has never been returned. Insist that they immediately do a three way (conference) call with you and the cruise line. Tell them it is due to a medical condition, offer to provide a note from your doctor, but insist that your seating be changed prior to arrival. Best of luck, let us know if you prevail.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Sue,
Booking this close to the sailing date is probably why early seating is full, especially on a Disney cruise. It is the most popular. The agent probably has put in your request for early seating (it is a request) but in most likelihood you will have to go to the Maitre'd right after you board to have it changed. Kindly, stress your medical condition and the $10 suggestion won't hurt.

You should still pursue it with the agent and see if they can pull a string or two with Disney to help with the medical condition and get your seating changed but don't let it ruin your excitement if it can't be done. The Maitre'd can do more than anyone else.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 20th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Admiral

put a call into Disney - ask for the special services department, you don't want to talk to a reservations agent. When you get to the special services department, have your booking number ready, tell them that you have a medical condition - name the condition, that you will fax them a doctors note if they need it, but you must have early seating. Once you do that, then get on the phone to your TA - don't write or e-mail, get on the phone, do the same thing, insist on a 3-way call to Disney.
When you get your final documents, double check your seating time, if it hasn't been changed then you must go to the Maitre D stand in line with your doctor's note, the Maitre D will change your dining assignment ,just get there as soon as you board. I don't see the need to "slip him a $10" since this is a medically necessary change.
Seems like we are in the minority here, we always request late seating and have always gotten it, no problems at all.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Caterina

when I book a trip I have my letter from the doctor saying that I must have early dining seating. But I always follow up with emails to the company stating why I have to
eat early. We have had no problems.
Do contact the customer service of the cruise line and explain the necessity for early dining and offer to fax them a copy of a letter from your doctor stating that necessity. then keep the letter for future cruises - ours is dated 1991 but is always accepted.
Good luck in changing - I know how important it is to eat early because of a medical condition.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:32 PM
Janice Reilly

I have my booklet from Celebrity for our cruisetour to Alaska on July 29, 2005. Under Cruise Summary is has Dining Seating: "Main", I did tell our TA that we wanted the early seating at 6:30pm. Would this be listed somewhere else? I looked through all teh 72 pages of the booklet.
We don't want late seating.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Why in the world should you have to "tip" the maitre'd! It's his/her job to straighten out the seating assignments that headquarters goofed on. You shouldn't have to "pay" for this.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old July 23rd, 2005, 11:49 PM
Kay O'Hara

Janice:

You are good to go. Main and early seating are the same thing. Several cruise lines, including Celebrity, call the dining times Main Seating & Late Seating. Have a great time.