Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2005, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Tips on Disney?

I can't find any information if the tips on Disney are taking out of your account directly or do they give envelopes? I don't care either way but if they do envelopes I have to prepare and bring $$$$. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Tips on Disney?

If I recall correctly, when my son went on the Disney cruise line March 2004, the tips were added to his account. Unless they changed the way they do it, it gets added on. Best bet is to call the cruise line directly.

Old July 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Admiral

ask this question on the cruise lines board under Disney and you will get a direct answer.
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM
jaybo

Our family was on the Magic last week. On Thursday, you get a sheet of paper with the recommended tipping amounts and envelopes for each person. If you fill it out and take it guest services, they will charge your account the amounts you have filled in and give you vouchers for the envelope. We did the recommeded amounts which added up to just over $300 for a family of 4 on a 7 day cruise. We also put some extra cash in the envelope for our dinning room staff since they when beyond the call of duty due to some food allergies. I am sure if you do the vouchers, it gets added to their paycheck and probably taxed - but with some of it in cash, well I won't tell anyone. I am not sure if the staff pool their tips or not.

PS - I don't mind tipping if the service warrants it, but automatically adding a 15% tip to a bar bill (and then having a line for an additional tip) is like finger nails on a chalkboard for me.

PS2 - avoid the sail-away drinks they serve while on deck - $7.95+tip, but you get to keep the plastic glass. Kind of sneaky if you ask me..
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Tips on Disney?

Thanks for all the good "tips" Jaybo I agree the 15% is rather high but I don't drink at all except water and coffee so I don't have to deal with that!

Old July 26th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Tips on Disney?

Hi,
Just have been looking to find anyone that has saided the West Coast Disney. Found you and glad to know about the sail away.
My question for you is; What time can we start boarding in San Pedro and what documents have in hand? Thanks for any info. We're chomping at the bit to go.
Nan
Sailing 7/30/05
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM
jaybo

Default Re: Re: Re: Tips on Disney?

Our flight was in at the airport at 10:30 - got to the dock about 11:30 and was on the boat by 12:30. Not sure how early they start, but like most ships, not access to your cabin until 1 or so. As for documents, Passports and the stuff in the cruise packet you got. THere are also some forms you print off online that can be filled out ahead of time.. To be honest, my wife took care of all of this. But the more you have filled out, the better. There is also a place to register your kids for their program groups. I would highly suggest doing this at the dock instead of on the ship. The line is shorter and moves quickly. Also the last thing you want to do is to have to wait in a line once on the ship with a kid that wants to go play in his area. Our kids where 8 & 10 so we gave them checkin and checkout priviledges - that worked great. Our 10 year old stayed out to midnight a couple of times and it was great to not have to stay up. They both knew they had to be back in the cabin at 5:30 to get ready for dinner other than that, we never saw them much.

Boarding was very well organized and with so many flights coming in, the times people arriving at dockside was spread out nicely.

The dockside area also had a band playing, a character photo-op and some several TV's playing old disney cartoons to keep the kids busy while you are checking in.

All I can say is rest up - there is way to much stuff to do with the childern programming, the family and adult activities. Then add in the character appearances - I could really use a 30 hour day. No time for napping on this cruise. I also saw one child that wanted to go back to the their program instead of having Ice Cream - that says a lot about the quaility of the programming.