Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Passenger

Default Passports and Birthcertificates?

I will be sailing next week to the Eastern Carribean.do my wife and I need Passports and do my 11 and 9 year old kids need Birth Certificates?
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default Re: Passports and Birthcertificates?

Until Dec. You can use Birth Certificates for everyone. After that, you will need your passports.

If you need more questions answered, Be sure to ask.

Luanne
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
clem

Make sure they are the original birth certificates with the raised seal...not Birth Registrations!
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Admiral

each one of you will need a certified copy of your birth certificates - it will have either a raised seal or a water mark. The adults will also need to bring a photo id., if the kids have a photo id (school, sports etc) its a good idea to bring that along.
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:39 PM
Admiral

After your return you might well get your passport for your future travels as they will be required for most instances as of Jan 1, 2006 and in all cases two years later.
Jim

Old July 21st, 2005, 05:51 PM
AR

I never like to wish time away, but I must admit that it will be nice come January when the answer to all such questions will be, simply, "YES!" Not so nice for the people who wait until the last week to find out whether they need them, but nice in that the posts here will be short and sweet and simple.

Does anyone who has booked a cruise in January or later, and on an itinerary that previously didn't require passports (like the Caribbean), know whether the cruise lines are properly advising passengers that they're going to need passports? I sure hope they're on top of this.

If this man were sailing next year, and waited until the last week to find out if his family needed passports, he'd be doing some high stepping, paying some stiff expediting fees, and even at that might not be able to pull it off.

People, get your passports. And remember, as January approaches the waits are likely to be l-o-o-o-n-g.
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:12 PM
Janice Reilly

Default Re: Re: Passports and Birthcertificates?

I am going to Alaska in 8 days and was informed by my Travel Agent that I needed my photo ID (state or gov't issued) and my certified copy of my birth certificate. I just happened to call Celebrity to ask some other questions and I mentioned the above. They informed me that I must have my marriage certificate (certified copy) since my GA driver's license is in my married name and of course my birth certificate is in my maiden name! So I had to go get my marriage certificate - it has been 20 years!
Old July 21st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Janice, What part of Atlanta are you from? I grew up in the Hapeville Area

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:56 PM
Kay O'Hara

I am a TA who has a small group cruising, with me, on the CP in September. I work very hard to keep up with immigration requirements. My Daughter is working at a cruise pier in Seattle for the summer and tells me of sad stories every weekend. They have to turn people away all the time because passengers do not have proper documentation.

Every cruise brochure that I have seen in the last several years says that they recommend a passport for US citizens but they are not required for domestic travel. You can also use a certified copy of your birth certificate and government issued valid ID. No where does it address the possibility of name changes.

Last week I called Immigration to be sure what is needed now. I was told that you must have the entire “paper trail” to prove every name change. I have carried my marriage license on all of my cruises and have never been asked for it. His response was that they should have been asking for it. I have a couple of women who have been married twice and used their married names both times. This means that they need to have a passport or birth certificate, marriage license, divorce decree, marriage license, (all certified copies) and government issued photo ID.

Now here is my favorite part… In order for these women to get on a cruise ship they need to carry a load of papers or get a passport. What do you need to get a passport? Do you need that “load of paper”? No. All I had to have in order to get a passport was a certified copy of my birth certificate, $97.00, 2 passport photos, and a driver’s license. There is a place on the form that asks for any other names that you have used but no proof is required.

Sorry to go on so long but I don’t want anyone to wave goodbye to a ship from the dock because they were missing proper documentation.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Does anyone one know what happens to people whose cruise starts late 2005 but ends after 1/1/06? Will they need a passport? I am betting they will because the passport is going to be required for RE-ENTRY into the United States. That is something that really should be addressed ASAP by the powers that be, imho.

Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

If you plan on traveling anywhere out of the country (Canada, Mexico, Cruising, wherever) just get the passport. They're good for 10 years (5 years under 18) and the cost will average out to about $9/year. I used to travel to Canada without a passport and sometimes it was a hassle at the border. SInce I started traveling with the passports we have no problems and usually sail right through because they don't have to wonder if the document is real (unlike birth certificates from 50 states plus territories, etc). While the law may be delayed it will still be implemented.

BTW, my TA includes this in all her correspondence as well as the cruise lines including it in the ticket information. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

One other point regarding passports: Make two copies. Pack and store one separate from your original passport in case your passport is lost or stolen. It will make getting a repalcement much easier. Keep the other copy at home for the same reason.

Sovereign - 3/99
Paradise - 4/00
Majesty - 11/00
Monarch - 12/02 (XMAS)
Radiance - 8/03 (AK) & 11/03
Adventure - 4/04, 3/05, 8/06
Navigator - 11/05
Century - 12/06
Serenade - 3/07

Adventure of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas
Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:18 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Passports and Birthcertificates?

Lisa--

I don't know the real answer, but I'd say that anybody who tries to dance around that little issue is plain crazy. If they are refused entry back home and claim that they left on their trip before the new rules went into effect, they deserve whatever hassle they get.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
Admiral

Lisa that's a great question, never occured to me. My guess would be that since the rules are going into place 1/1/06, would not matter that you sailed before that date. You would need a passport to re-enter into the United States.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:07 AM
chyna_c

To get my passport, I had to have copies of my birth certificate, and BOTH divorce decrees even though I had gone back to my maiden name, IF you have ever used any other name, you have to be able to document at what point you stopped, now I am so thankful I got my passport PRE 9/11 (just by a month!) That whole "wad" of paper is a bit much to send in but I did (as it was required) and they sent them all back as well (as they said they would do). I know I have gotten a couple letters from my travel agent suggesting if I hadn't gotten my passport already to get it NOW and not wait. (I am cruising in December). I feel sorry for those who aren't NOW getting their passports for Jan, Feb and March 06 cruises as they might be waiting a very long time and have to pay those expediting fees

Like Nike says "JUST DO IT" (NOW)
Old July 22nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Passports and Birth certificates?

I am so glad that a passport will be required for Caribbean and Mexico after 12/31/2005 and Canada after 12/31/2006.

The documentation question has been the most confusing to people and while a passport is an added expense to cruising it simplifies the process and makes travel so much easier for people.

I don't know of anyone who has ever been denied boarding because they had a passport but how many people have been denied boarding because they had the wrong type of birth certificate, no marriage license, divorce papers, naturalization papers, adoption papers, drivers license, school ID, court name change papers, etc.

Plus the passport fits in your pocket.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Kay O'Hara

Mike:
I am with you. I couldn’t be happier about the new laws. The expense is unfortunate but now it takes all confusion out of the equation.

I am, however, very curious as to why the rules for getting a passport have gotten easier since 9/11. Chyna_c had to have copies of both divorce decrees to show documentation on when she had name changes a month before 9/11.

My Mother-in-law in North Carolina and my Mother and I in Washington just got passports in the last few weeks. We all just needed certified copies of our birth certificates and photo ID. There is a place on the form for writing any different names you have used but there was nowhere that it asked for the dates of those name changes.

My North Carolina Mom got a passport because she does not have a copy of her first marriage license or divorce decree. She took her current marriage license with her but they told her that they did not need to see it.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Admiral

It will cut down of all the mis-information. All that we have to say now is "Passport required" and give them the link which is on the homepage. We are really spoiled as other countries have for many years required a passport to travel.
Jim

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna

When I took my forms to the Post Office (one that handles Passports, not all do) here in Tampa,(We have two in Tampa where you can apply for a passport) I asked about the change of names and divorces and the person who waitied on me instratucted me that I should send them along. I had already made copies as I have had to produce them a few other times in the past, so it wasn't a problem. Maybe I should not have asked the question. I do remember I applied on August 31 and by September 5, I had my passport in the mail and I had paid nothing to "expidite" my passport but I guess through luck, had hit them at a very slow time.