Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Default No Class

For all future NCL passengers,

Completed my cruise, handed luggage to NCL contracted bus driver, arrived LAX, no bag, driver told me to wait - he would come back when last rider for LAX offloaded, waited 2 hours, called for 3 hours locating mgr from Shore to Sea, found driver took my bag and someone else's bag back to Pier (20 miles away) drove away. After much haggling, Sea to Shore Mgr agreed to Fedex my bag to me. Fedex delivered bag but with outside damgage to all zippers, got letter authorizing me to file claim with Fedex, after more haggling got $79.99 of the original $119.99 cost from Fedex. I asked Sea to Shore to reimburse me the remaining $40 and just a few minutes ago I learned from Justin at Sea to Shore his boss said NO they are not going to pay me $40 to replace my luggage. I have waited since July 7, 2005 for Justin to call me back as he promised and I had to call his today (July 21, 05). By the way my cruise ended about 2 months ago. I paid NCL to take care of transporting my luggage from LAX to the pier, then from the Pier to LAX in the amount of $40, so now I am out $80. If this happens to you and the driver refuses to empty all the baggage compartments until the last passenger is offloaded, get on the bus and MAKE him do it right. It is a shame that NCL, along with Shore to Sea are willing to lose two regular cruise passengers over $40, but they have indeed lost two and we do cruise at least tow (2) times a year. Be aware and be careful NCL and Shore to Sea at the Los Angeles, CA Pier...

The main reason I wanted the $40 is the luggage they tore up was NEW - first time used... At least NCL and Shore to Sea won't get another shot at me...

Again - beware...

bobst_2003@yahoo.com
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: No Class

that's really too bad.
I totally agree with you that if you get off the bus and your luggage doesn't, you make that bus driver open all compartments until you find your luggage.
As for your damaged luggage, my guess would be that FEDEX figured that the luggage was still useable and wasn't totally destroyed("outside damage to all zippers"), was considered used, not brand new - so you are only going to get a portion of the cost back.
Old July 21st, 2005, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Sorry for what you went through but what is your question to the staff? If you are asking who is responsible that is really for an attorney to answer but my educated guess is that it is the Bus Company that is liable, not NCL. Unless someone can prove that FedEx damaged your bags then they should not even be in the loop either unless they are just writing it off as PR. You need to contact the bus company and speak to someone in charge. It really is not worth getting an attorney involved unfortunately and that is what they are counting on. NCL should be informed so that they can register the complaint against the bus company and if they get many complaints they will discontinue using them.
Jim

Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the reply. I am mailing my problem(s) to NCL, however, unless proven otherwise, I believe that effort will be an "exercise in futility". Shore to Sea is contracted by NCL (along with other cruise lines) to handle passenger baggage. Fedex says Shore to Sea DID NOT package the luggage properly and in their disclaimer on shipping documents it states if do ship with improper packaging (which they did) Shore to Sea accepts full responsibility. Shore to Sea (Justin) told me yesterday that this rule "does not apply to them - they are a company". Fedex says it applies to ANY shipper. Justin at Shore to Sea told me after making me wait 14days that his boss from Vancouver said NO they were not responsible. Fedex has shown a degree of mercy since I am caught in the middle, and paid me part of the cost of a brand new piece of luggage, but I am still out $40 bucks (plus tax) and will apparently be in the "so what we do not really care category" with Shore to Sea. I did contract with NCL to have my luggage transported and they will say "your problem"...
Now what do I want from anyone - $40 but I am not so naiave that I think Shore to Sea gives a care about me or my $40 - they keep their contract with NCL whatever they say. I can only warn anyone and everyone what happened to me and at least let them be aware of a classless group of luggage handlers. I am going to mail NCL all of these activities to see if they value two passengers future cruisers (we cruise about 2 times a year) or if $40 is worth us spending our cruise dollars with a competitor...

Not that it matters to anyone here, but we have already "unclicked" our next cruise in Sept which by the way was on NCL... If they choose to force Shore to Sea to do the right thing fine, if not, still fine. Cruise lines are much like car salesmen or restaurants - there is on on a lot of corners..

bobst
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: No Class

Just a side note - this all happened because the bus driver refused to open all of his compartments and look for my luggage because he said he had other people to drop off at LAX. Said driver told me to stand there at the curb and wait until he dropped off everyone and he would come back around and tell me if he did or did not have any luggagge when he completed his run. What said genius did was take my luggage plus another piece of luggage back to the pier, sit both pieces down, then drove back to wherever he came from. This is documented by Shore to Sea and they know exactly what happened. The genius bus driver's supervisor said too bad he did not know who the luggage belonged to and AFTER he had told me to wait. Said supervisor told me she was eating lunch and could not talk to me. And yes I did relay ALL of this info to Shore to Sea who contracted for the bus service with the genius driver. It took me over 3 hours while at LAX to even locate my luggage which was mysteriously back on the pier. It took 10 days for me to receive my torn up luggage, and it has been over 2 months trying to recoup anything - I am still out $40...

Hope this makes it a bit more clear as to why I am upset, to say the least.. I reiterate from my first posting --

Be very wary of NCL and Shore to Sea at the Los Angeles (San Pedro) pier...

bobst
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Passenger

Thanks for you kind words - yes partial payment for a brand new, 1st time used piece of luggage...
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: No Class

Author: bobst
Date: 08-02-05 09:16

For anyone who has read my original posting, I will add this comment and it is based on contact I had with Justin at Shore to Sea, the contractor who handles the luggage for NCL. After failing to call me back for over two week as he promised, I finally called Justin back at Shore to Sea. He first stated that he had talked to his boss who is in Vancouver and his boss had said they probably would not pay me the $40 I am still short. After quizzing Justin about why he just left me hanging he said he did not call me back because he was waiting on a final decision from his boss in Vancouver. After more prodding, Justin said his boss said they definitely were not going to pay me anything. I asked Justin for his bosses name and phone number so I might call and plead my case, and Justin said "I can not give you that information". I said then,"so you are covering up for him and shielding him from me contacting him, is that correct", to which Justin answered "Yes it is, that is the way it is". So I no longer assume I know for sure Shore to Sea does not care... Final note: Justin said I should contact NCL's Lost Baggage department even though my bag is not lost and even though Shore to Sea is responsible for my bag in relation to the Fedex rule that they did not package the luggage correctly and therefore accept responsiblity for any damages. Justin said that Fedex rule does not apply to Shore to Sea. I know they are on a pier close to the end of land as we know it, but I had no idea that Shore to Sea "WALKS ON WATER". They are the only entity in the free world who is excluded from Fedex shipping rules. Ask yourself how well this represents "Customer Relations"...

Again Beware Shore to Sea Baggage Handling -- Take a taxi...

bobst
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Respectfully replying, if you care to know how Shore to Sea (Justin) and his boss feel about it please read my posting concerning Justin's statement that Shore to Sea does not come under the Fedex rule about appropriate packaging. Also of interest Justin and he stated his boss from Vancouver said I should file my claim for the remaining $40 that nobody has covered yet, with NCL Lost Baggage, even though my luggage was not lost. Justin said it is NCL's problem, not Shore to Sea. By the way, I have shipped items via Fedex and there is a disclaimer about improper packaging and if the shipper ships anyhow, the shipper assumed all responsibility. So does that not mean Shore to Sea?

Just curious since you said what do I want from NCL or close to that?

bobst
Old August 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Bobst if this is little comfort,I had my T/A looking at a Dec. cruise for me on this cruiseline(never cruised on this cruiseline before,but was going to try them out) called her back,and told her only Carnival,or Royal Caribbean.I'm not sure if Carnival owns this cruiseline though,. I love Carnival.