Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default removing a post

I answered a post and unfortunately used a regional term that hurt someone's feelings for which I am very sorry. It was not intentional and I have never associated the term with any religion whatsoever, I guess I'm niave(sp) or just plain dumb, but any way, the word could have been removed or whatever it is done by the powers that be instead of completely removing it and not at least letting me know. I have seen threads that insulted faiths, people and sexual preferences that stayed on the boards and I wondered why they were allowed to continue.......oh well, I'll keep my comments to myself, but again, I do apologize to anyone I may have offended. I just don't know what else to say, so I won't say anything else.
Joy

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: removing a post

I have seen threads that insulted faiths, people and sexual preferences that stayed on the boards and I wondered why they were allowed to continue.......

If you have, you should use the REPORT THIS MESSAGE feature, and the offending posts will be removed. Attacks and derogatory language are not allowed, but with all the messages posted on the board it can take the staff some time to come across them. Everyone can help using the REPORT Message feature.

In some cases editing a word or sentence from a post simply exagerates the offending word by pointing it out for people to fill in the blanks.

The term used was obviously derogatory, and the fact people don't see many of these "slang expressions" as derogatory and racist is somewhat sad.

Old August 8th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I resent whole heartedly being referred to as racist. The term I used is used by my best friend who is Jewish and she finds no offense at all and I used it unintentional and without malice, but when brought to my attention by someone who finds it offensive, I make every effort to abstain from the use...but as I said, it was not intentional. But to be called racist on purpose is extremely offensive and insulting. I have apologized and I will refrain from using this board.

Carnival Celebration
Holiday-2005
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

Joy... I never called you a racist, and didn't even imply it. Sorry that you read it that way.

What I said was it's somewhat sad that people don't see that use of terms like that is in fact derogatory and rascist. It's the unintentional use of those types of "slangs" that keep hurtful and erroneous sterotypes alive. And in that way the unintenional use of them is just as damaging as the intentional rascist remark.

Old August 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Don Worrell

So we must be politically correct to use this board!! I am sick and tired of having to defend each and every word i use. i understand some words co carry a negative meaning but, if you read the correct meaning you would never know the negative meaning.

Don
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
sealegs

Hi,
Time out ! ....please.

Happy cruising

Cheers
CG
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Yeoman

Just be respecful when writting your posts. Think before you post.
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

So we must be politically correct to use this board!! I am sick and tired of having to defend each and every word i use. i understand some words co carry a negative meaning but, if you read the correct meaning you would never know the negative meaning

There's a significant difference between policitally correct extremism and the use of slang and colloquialisms which carry racially discriminatory implications. It's not even a fine line to see the difference.

CruiseQueen's advise is exactly correct.

Old August 9th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Oh No the gripe board has followed me. Go away, Go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

It is difficult to sometimes not offend someone. What might be acceptable in on region, might not in another. It's like Joy said, she didn't know it would offend, and she regrets using it. I call those life lessons, and now we can move on.

luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link