Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old August 11th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Default group cruise less or more?

I am, with the help of my regular TA, planning a group cruise. I noticed the rates on the Carnival board were a bit cheaper than what my TA had quoted me, so I called to let her know the rates had dropped. She asked if I was sure I was looking at the group rates, because they are often more expensive because of the lower deposit and more liberal payment arrangements (there's a 2nd payment and then a final payment).

I was under the impression that you got a slightly better rate on group cruises. I know there is a free berth with every 15 paying 1st and 2nd person rates, and that you could choose to spread that "free" berth amount around amongst your group, but I was under the impression it was STILL a bit cheaper even without that perk.

CM staff, what have been your experiences when planning group cruises?

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Captain

Default Re: group cruise less or more?

Group rates are NOT always cheaper. They are negotiated prices that can provide some perks depending on the size of the group. Those perks MAY include a free birth for someone or they could mean cheaper prices if the free birth is given up to save the group more money. It is all negotiated and the perks are determined by the cruise line, TA and possibly the group leaders once the total bookings are in. Also a TA sometimes may add a little extra to the price to pay for extra work they are doing and providing you.

In other words group rates MAY be cheaper but then again they MAY not be depending on many variables and what is decided by the TA, cruiseline and group leaders.
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Admiral

PEB,
A free "birth"!!! What a great deal now days with the cost of medical insurance!
Just kidding PEB, I know what you meant!! but for those who might not know, it should be a free "berth", "bunk" or "bed" or just 1 person free. Just clearing up the confusion.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

PEB is right... on occassion regular individual rates can be lower, particularily after final payment dates, when cabin inventory is reduced to in price to sell them out.

In my experience, booking groups early on Carnival normally nets a lower price, but with their recent changes to their pricing policies this MAY no longer be the case.

Besides the group rates though, there should be some "points" available to the TA for choosing from a list of group perks to supply as well. For things like Champagne and chocolates etc in the cabin. Sometimes points can even be used to reduce the number necessary to earn the free berths.

Old August 12th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Thanks Kuki and PEB. I mentioned the perks to my TA and she said to wait and see how many folks booked before mentioning any specific perks.

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004
Old August 13th, 2005, 12:20 AM
cruisingrandma

Our TA has always gotten us better rates on a group cruise, Then a regular booked one. Just our TA I guess. She does a good job for us always.. happy cruising.....
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Captain

CA Cruiser sorry about the spelling but I did think you needed a laugh for the day. After all what is a day without laughter. I am sure I can make a lot more spelling mistakes for you and others to get a laugh out of . After all spelling is not one of my strong points but then I will admit it. Thanks for catching my mistake I am sure it won't be my last .

Dorothy your TA is right to wait on perks. The more people that sign up the more points that will be given which will give the chance of more perks.