CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   MAGNET TO KEEP AC ACTIVE (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/245598-magnet-keep-ac-active.html)

SHARON NY August 18th, 2005 02:38 PM

MAGNET TO KEEP AC ACTIVE

I read somewhere that there's a way to 'fool' the a.c. into thinking the balcony door is closed with a magnet. Anyone know of this? Thanks in advance.

Jim Bragg August 18th, 2005 03:15 PM

Re: MAGNET TO KEEP AC ACTIVE

It would seem that if you do that then you could cause the AC to malfunction and cause considerable damage, (which you could be held accountable for!). Do not tamper with any systems as they work a certain way for a reason.
JIm

queencruiser August 19th, 2005 05:44 AM

Hi Sharon,
Didnt know about this until a short time ago, but I do remember someone on my dinner table saying he slept on the balcony because of medical condition and their spouse slept inside and their cabin steward recommended a magnet on balcony door so his wife would still have air-conditioning in the cabin. Dont know how this is done but maybe some one can post and let you know. ***edited to remove commercial referral***

Chyna August 24th, 2005 08:01 PM

I am curious, why would anyone have to sleep outdoors for health reasons? Bad allergies?

Lisa August 25th, 2005 12:27 AM

The A/C on ships are on a circuit......what you do in your cabin can affect others on the same circuit. So, please, think about that before you do anything. Maybe someone else on that circuit needs to have the a/c running full strength for their medical conditions.

convert August 25th, 2005 09:37 PM

Re: Re: MAGNET TO KEEP AC ACTIVE

Mate snores like a buzz-saw, keeping awake, ruining health.

buffetfan2004 August 27th, 2005 09:40 PM

? on how A/C temps work

Jim,
I know our room attendant told us it is warmer when we were embarking as the ship was running on port pwer, is that true? Just wondering what factors change the room temps. can we ever make the room cooler?
We were on Carnival Destiny our room was cool, never cold although parents room next door always seemed cooler. And yes, we tried moving those vents on the ceiling..

Lisa August 28th, 2005 12:29 AM

I have noticed that the a/c is not as strong in the cabins when in port and much stronger when the ship is underway. Must be an energy saving tactic.

CA Cruiser August 28th, 2005 10:31 AM

Not to worry....The magnet "trick" that Sharon was asking about will not hurt any unit, circuit or cause malfunctions. It does not affect other passengers cabins. Our cabin attendant showed us how to do it!!! :-) We did it while cruising in Hawaii but because I don't want to be deleted I won't post it, just reassure everyone it's okay.

Thomas August 28th, 2005 03:47 PM

I'm a mechanical and aerospace engineer and I can assure you the magnet trick is NOT going to affect any other air conditioner units. For Pete's sake....who comes up with such ridiculous theories????

There is a magnet proximity switch on the balcony door jamb which, when the door is open, the switch is "broken" and the A/C unit turns off to keep it from running while the door is open. Your security system in your house operates the same way. There is a magnet (or metallic sink) on the door so when the door is closed, the switch senses the magnet in the door and the switched is "closed" or "on" and allows the A/C to operate.

To run the A/C with the door open you only need to place a magnet (tape it) on or near the proximity switch in the jamb. This keeps the switch "closed" or "on."

Regards,
Thomas

CA Cruiser August 28th, 2005 08:57 PM

;-) (V VBG)

Male August 29th, 2005 02:29 PM

I was always afraid that he balcony door would lock both of us on the balcony

CA Cruiser August 29th, 2005 08:10 PM

Male,
The balcony door can ONLY be locked from the inside....no worries!

Mike M August 29th, 2005 10:00 PM

Thomas:

Oh, so it took a rocket scientist to figure it out. <VBG>

BTW Thomas: For your restaurant do you give away those little business card magnets for advertising? I find they are great for putting on the refrigerator and other places.

Take care,
Mike

Jim Bragg August 30th, 2005 04:21 PM

Re: ? on how A/C temps work

Buffetfan, Yes that is very probable as they are not running on full power at that time. Once they get the ship running the onboard generators run everything onboard as they are very powerful!
Jim