Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Cheryl George

Default Muster drill

I'm a first time cruise in Sept and was wondering what exactly does one do on this drill? do you actually get into the life boat and get into the water or just go thru the motions as to what if and let everyone know what to do if an emergency came up?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2
Default Re: Muster drill

You will go to your cabin and put on your life jacket. Then report to your muster station. Your muster station is posted on the back of your cabin door with directions to get there.There you will be instructed as to what to do in the event of an emergency. It takes about 20 minutes.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 28th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pay attention! it may save your life.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

You don't actually get in the boat, or the water, but they tell you what to do in case of emergency.

Luanne

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 28th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Cheryl George

Thanks for the info, I was afraid of having to get into that little boat and go down in the water. Now, I won't have to worry about that for the next 4 wks.
Old August 28th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Muster drill

I wouldn't put my life jacket on until you get to your muster station. It can get really hot with all the people around and the life jackets are very bulky. We usually go to our room right before to get ours and carry them with us until the alarm sounds for the drill. That way we aren't in the mass of people running to their rooms to get the jackets and you can only use the stairs, as elevators are closed during the drill, except maybe for wheel chairs. Anyway have a blast and enjoy your cruise!!!!

Old August 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
First Mate

p.s. Don't blow the whistle--not because of noise but germs--those are likely never disinfected. Also--it can get quite hot--wear shorts or light clothing if in the "hot" climate area. It is a quick thing, stand in lines like a small army and listen and dismiss.

Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM
DonD

What I dislike is the sweating on the back of your neck where the lifejacket hangs. All the other people before you had the same problem. No telling how many layers of sweat is there.

Maybe they could put some kind of peel-off cloth that could be changed for each new cruise. Even if you had to buy it would be OK with me.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Stick either a paper towel behind your neck or one of the facecloths or handtowels in your cabin back there. Not only is it a good bit cleaner but it is actually more comfortable!
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good suggestion!!! Go to the suggestions forum and list that as a suggestion! Very Good idea!!!!

Old August 31st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have found the one thing that bothers me about this drill is the amount of people who think they do not have to show up for it. This holds up the whole process because attendance is taken. I was on the Oosterdam where they would not begin until everyone appeared.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Your cabin # in on your vest, they will take roll call, your cabin attendant puts a red "EVACUATED" tag in your cabin key slot so they will know if you "just don't go to the drilllllllllllllllll" If you don't show up. It will slow the process, make everyone wait for you and you WILL have to do a make up drill alone while being lectured for missing.....I've seen it first hand.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:30 AM
Admiral

you can't just not go. The drills are mandatory. IF you don't show, they come looking for you, banging on your door, it holds up the drill for the rest of your fellow passengers
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:29 PM
DanP

Just make sure that you give the attendent taking care of you drill area your room number,They may not come after you at the time of the drill ,but while you are relaxing on the sea day they will come and get you and do the drill.We have been on 27 cruises and have seen it done.So as I said MAKE SURE you give your life boat attendent your ROOM NUMBER and how many in the room.
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:52 PM
BoosterMom

We wait and put on our vests at the muster station too because I and one of my DD is claustrophobic! That vest covers your entire neck and part of your face!!!!! Do it though, like other people said, might save your life.
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

You just know that the people that don't show up and/or take it lightly will be the ones knocking you down to get to a life boat in a real emergency.
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

Ah yes, I am sure that the people who do go to the muster drill will be calmly strolling to their muster stations with no panic at all because they were good people and went to the muster drill. Yeah, right!

And to those that think that the muster drill somehow provides real life saving information, if you read the notice on the back of the door you will get the same info.

This is just another one of these government mandates that likes to nanny people to death. Like flight attendants showing how to fasten seat belts and pointing at a clearly labeled exit door.

Cheers,
Peter

Old September 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
convert

They take roll call and if you don't show up they come and throw you overboard.
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Peter -
Is 30 minutes or so out of your vacation doing something that is a priority and regulation for the cruise lines so bad? Lighten up!

Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to PeterV Send a message via Yahoo to PeterV

I never said I didn't go, but why can't I complain about something that is useless. My comments were strictly directed at those that think that this is somehow important or that they provide some information, which they don't.

What it does show is how to go to your cabin, get your life preserver and find your muster station, then stand around until it's over. The same information is on the back of the door of your cabin, and takes all of 5 minutes to read.

You know just because something is a rule or a law does not imply that they cannot be questioned.

Cheers,
Peter

Old September 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I think it is important to go to muster drill. I personally like to know exactly where my muster station is. Not everyone can read and understand the directions on the door. I will be traveling with a lady that cannot read. she learns well by doing. For her safety and my peace of mind we will be going to our muster drill on our cruise.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:46 PM
AmazingAngel

You have to take the drill, it takes long than 20 mins cause there are always people that do not want to do it. Everone must put on there vest, on the Victory we did and then they explain a few things to you. remember where you station is and thats that. it is color coded with a letter. simple enough. The faster everone gets to there station(not running or anything) the quicker you can set sail!
Old September 2nd, 2005, 06:03 PM
Admiral

After our first cruise I learned a lesson! If you are slow at climbing up or down stairs, go to your stateroom about 15 minutes early, carry your vest and start walking.

Each cruise we've been on the muster drill was done differently. On the first one they didn't even have us put our vests on and we just listened to the instructions.

On the second we had to put our vests on as soon as we got to the muster station and, after waiting until everyone showed up at EVERY muster station, we had to go stand outside next to where the lifeboat would be. I'm claustrophobic and we were packed like sardines. I made it through, but it wasn't easy! Since then I'm always sure we're the last out.

On our last cruise we met at our muster station, waited for a signal, then put our vests on to be sure we knew what we were doing, then took them off and waited for the signal to end the drill.

Apparently it all depends on the Safety Officer on each ship to decide how to conduct the muster drill.

Post Edited (09-02-05 18:10)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Peter, the simple fact is that more than half the people simply will not even notice that the instructions are there, much less read them. Attending the muster drills is not a rule, it is the law. I know more than most about ships etc after serving in the US Navy for 7 years and then taking over two dozen cruises but still attend the muster drills and urge other to do the same. It is also a good place to watch people and figure out who would die should a real desperate emergency arise. The are the one's avoiding the drill and those playing games and not paying attention thinking it is beneath them to listen..
Jim

Old September 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM
BAS

When are the drills? The first day when you get underway? Or the first sea day?
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Admiral

They are usually 30 to 45 minutes before sailaway!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302