Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:05 PM
First Mate

Default off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Going to Ocho Rios...any suggestions for what is off the beaten path for those wanting a Island Experience?
Just looking for some fresh ideas if you have any to share.
Thanks, Karyn
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Having been there and read what people have posted here I would NOT recommend it, especially for a woman. Maybe do a search here because it is said to be a dangerous place on your own but safer to do ship excursions.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM
AmazingAngel

Hello, having done the wester caribbean two years ago and stopping off at ochio rios...let me just say it is beautiful but do not go off the beaten path! They will warn you at the greeting the night before when they expain what each excurtion is. They will tell you that you should not stray and they are very aggressive when you are not even looking to buy anything. We did the dunns river falls and before we even walked down to the beach where it begins they hauled my husband and me into this little market place that is like a maze to get out of. Then after you finish the falls you have to walk through it again! Not to scare you though the place is beautiful but I would book an excursion with the ship that will take you and your group to see things off the beaten path. We did the dolphin swim there and it was nice and they were not that aggressive. Enjoy the beautiful beach!! Have fun!
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Thank you! I will think on it no further...
Karyn
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Admiral

i will totally agree with the others, Jamaica is not the place to go off on your own. ITs a beautiful, lush tropical island but book a tour, either with the cruise line or thru a local reputable tour operator like Peat Taylor.
Old August 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

OK...Peat Taylor it is then I will do Dunns and Margaritaville...How about feeding my wild side in Cozumel then?
Karyn
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: off the beaten path in Ocho Rios

Rent a little convertable jeep thingee in Cozumel. Once outside town there is one road that simply goes around the entire island. You can't get lost. On one side of the island there is bascally nothing , just some rocky rough beaches. On the far end there is an old ruin you can tour. As you come around the eastern side there are a number of nice beaches. Then, you are back in town.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Now count me as one that does not agree with the others. My wife and I and even our kids who are in their 20's often wander all over and have a great time. Yes it pays to be aware of your surroundings and not venture into obvious bad areas. Treat them with honor and respect and they treat you the same way in return. If you really want to see the countryside I suggest either the Rose Plantation tour or some ships tour into the interior or the river rafting tours. I do recommend that you take the ships tours mostly to ensure you will return to the ship ontime. Last time my son and wife were there, (in their upper 20's), they actually went far inland on some private tour all the way up into the hills where few tourists ever go. They loved it and the people there.
Jim

Old August 30th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Jim,

Can you ask your son and DIL exactly what their tour was? Sounds like something we'd like to do!

While it really doesn't bother me anymore, I've been "grabbed at" enough in the markets!

Thanks,
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:02 AM
Admiral

I would take a raft down the Martha Brae River, Dunn's River Falls is overrated.
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

I did the Rose Plantation tour when I spent a week in Montego Bay. It was very interestng and the history of the "White Witch" is a great story. I even bought the book!! There was another tour I did that was not listed in the tour books. We had an independent tour operator that worked from the hotel we stayed in. His name was Morris Gifford. Great guy. He took us to a bird sanctuary and we loved it. Most of the operators would not go there because it was such a bumpy ride up the mountain. Once there you have a magnificent view of the ocean. The place was a quaint little cottage occupied by a woman living alone. This was in the 80's so this may not still be there. This woman fed the birds and had them trained. She would sit you in a chair and put seed in your hands. The birds would light on you to feed. She also had liquor "nips" that she filled with hummingbird nectar. She would have you sit still and hold them. The hummingbirds would come and drink right from you. I loved it because it was not commercialized and overcrowded. Caution though. If you are using an independent operator please be sure to use one that works from a hotel property. They are the ones that are properly insured and have safe vehicles. Ones that are not allowed on the hotel property are not insured and usually drive unsafe vehicles.

Laura

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old August 31st, 2005, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Fern, called my son and he said it was the RCI's Bob Marley Zion tour to Nine Mile. He enjoyed it very much.
Jim

Old August 31st, 2005, 04:15 PM
Familiar Face

A few years ago my wife and I vacationed in Jamaica for a week.

This gave us the time to really meet the local people. We even took a bicycle tour down from the top of the Blue Mountain. It was a great all day tour and went through many little towns.

It was one of the best experiences of the week. We even stopped at a school yard where the school kid came out to sing folk songs for us.

We found the people outside of the tourist areas to be genuinely friendly and caring people

Try to not judge all Jamaica by the sales people in the tourist towns. Would you like the United States to be judged only by the strip in Las Vegas?

Valor Jan 8, 2006
Triumph May 12 2007
Triumph November 3,2007
Liberty November 22, 2008
Miracle March 4, 2010
Glory Jan 16, 2011
Spirit Sept 11, 2012
Fascination September 22, 2014 Kansas Concert, Nassau and Little Stirrup Cay
Old September 5th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Yeoman

We used Peat Taylor and very happy with him. Many people use him. Have to book online ahead of time to reserve space. He will take u wherever you want to go. Will customize your tour. You pay when your tour is over. We saw some beautiful scenery up in the hills. We visited about 4 different places and did the river rafting as well. He waited for us at the end. I personally would stick with the shopping mall that's right outside the large fence area. It was a very nice place and no one to bother you there. Very colorful buildings..this is where they usually drop u off after your tour.
Any ?'s, feel free to email me.

If you don't use the ship's tours, use someone that's recommended on these boards and many people have been happy with. You just never know what can happen.