CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   What is a "bonnie"? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/301101-what-bonnie.html)

dlm05 September 19th, 2005 02:39 PM

What is a "bonnie"?

I've seen it mentioned an a number of posts about seasickness. Is it similar (or better) than Drammamine?

Kuki September 19th, 2005 02:51 PM

It's Bonine you see being referred to not Bonnie. Though I used to date a Bonnie, and she never made me sick LOL LOL

Bonine and Dramamine use the same basic ingredient to combat sea sickness/vertigo

Bonine used to be the only one of the two what used a non drowsy formula, but now Dramamine is also available in non drowsy. So... end result, both very similar.

pop66ma September 19th, 2005 02:54 PM

If you feel that you are going to need the bonine when you board the ship go to the pursers deck and ask for it,it is free.

Mike M September 19th, 2005 05:35 PM

I think you mean Bonine: It is the brand name for Meclizine. (Generic) You can buy it at most pharmacies under the name, Bonine or go for the less expensive alternative and look for Meclizine. Meclizine is usually sold in 25 mg. tablets.

Meclizine (Bonine) is usually sold as a "Non-Drowsy" formula for motion sickness or seasickness. Even though it is a "non-drowsy" it does cause drowsiness in some people. I get very sleepy if I take it.

Always consult your physician or read the label before taking any medication.

Take care,
Mike

mel1975 September 20th, 2005 09:56 AM

Just a little hint, take the bonine at night before bed (night before cruise also so it is in your system) and you will sleep great and wont realize any drowziness.

antron September 20th, 2005 10:57 AM

kuki

LOL LOL LOL you are too funny.

Paul Motter September 23rd, 2005 10:26 PM

I tend to get motion sickness on long flights, so I have started taking Dramamine (the drowsy formula) to sleep - especially on trans-Atlantics. Its great, I don't get sick and I sleep through the flight.

Midazolam September 24th, 2005 01:00 PM

Here is a list of most of the anti-emetics that are available without a prescription. The four generic names are in parenthesis. the different trade names that each of the four are available under are listed next.

Each have different side effects, and affect different people in different ways.

My advice: Bonine is available free on board. It works for most people. Why look anywhere else

Larry

(Dimenhydrinate) Dramamine; Dimetabs; Triptone; Dinate
(Diphenhydramine) Benadryl products; Benylin; Nytol; Sominex
(Meclizine) Dramamine II Less Drowsy; Antivert; Bonine; Bonamine
(Cyclizine) Marezine; Marzine; Cylizine; Emoquil

ship98 September 24th, 2005 08:17 PM

My husband takes Bonine just before our flight and each day of the cruise - - -this works great for him (not sleepy or "out of it" feeling).

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean
Caribbean Princess '04 - Eastern Caribbean
Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal
Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria
Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean
Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

poppetcat September 25th, 2005 05:08 PM

Are these all available in UK?

Hi - first time cruiser so forgive the stupid questions. But do many people get seasick - I thought the ships were pretty steady? Am taking a 4-year-old, what do people recommend for give him or just see what happens. Finally my husband has mild labrinthytis (sorry for spelling) is this going to affect cruise. Also can you get all drugs mentioned on this site in UK?

Nicky

rollerdonna September 28th, 2005 09:46 AM

I don't know aboput the UK, but in Canada we get Gravol (Dimenhydrinate) for nausea. I always take it before a flight, or a boat ride, because I am very prone to motion sickness. For some strange reason though, I have never been affected by sea-sickness on a ship! A little rocky and maybe a bit queasy when it's really rocking, but most of the time - nothing!

donna