Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to widespreadpanic
Default Why a cruise over a land vacation?

Going on my first ever cruise this month, and I have to ask - why a cruise? I have vacationed in the Carribbean in both five star and/or all inclusive resorts, and other hotels offering just a nice room and a few amenities. I understand some like being on the water, some like being able to visit many ports while unpacking once, but what, besides those, are YOUR reasons?[/b]
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You hit on a couple of the big reasons but here are a couple more for me:

The Ship:
The variety of activities
The ability to set my own schedule
The variety of food and entertainment
The people you meet on a group cruise or even on a non-group cruise.
The overall cost is less than a land vacation in a regular hotel.

Those are just a few of them: For me, nothing beats being on the ocean.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:00 PM
First Mate

All those listed above, plus:

Visiting new places
Dressing up
Being rocked to sleep

Anyone else?
Old September 20th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Admiral

Its the only vacation that gives every member of my family the ideal vacation. The kids love the kids club and playing in the pool. On our next trip in November they'll get to do the Conch Train, Butterfly Conservatory and Pirate Soul Museum in Key West. In San Juan they'll get to explore El Morro and San Christobal, which is a Fort and Castle.
They will get to explore the beautiful beaches and surroundings of Antigua and Tortola. D/h and I will do get to take an excursion in Cozumel on a 100 ft. luxury vessel which will take us out to do underwater scooters, snorkelling in beautiful turquoise waters, then take us on a glass bottom boat trip. The next day we'll be in Belize and get to swim and snorkel with Eagle Rays and Nurse sharks. Then we'll spend a day at sea and just relax. We're going scuba diving in St. Thomas and sailing out to Treasure Island which inspired Robert Louis Stevenson's book of the same name where we'll snorkel and explore underwater caves.
Then on the last day of our trip we have a day room and will spend the day at Atlantis in Nassau. I will have a room steward assigned who is responsible for keeping my stateroom in order and turning my bed down at night. He'll have a new towel animal waiting for us every night when we return from dinner. I'll have a team of waiters who will take great care of me and my family and ensure that we have a wonderful dining experience. Gourmet food is served everynight. Everynight is a party and I only do what I want to do.
I do not know of any land based vacation that would give me so much for the very reasonable price I paid. As a matter of fact, most of the quality land based vacations that I have looked at and priced out are two to three times the price and didn't include all the fun excursions we'll be doing on this trip. If I want to stay up late and catch some adult entertainment, or just spend some quiet time with d/h, the kids club hosts a slumber party for my little ones until 3:00 a.m. and lastly this is the only time aside from when we got married that I get to see my husband in a tux, lol!
Old September 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

Here is my reasons...my husband and I had our first cruise Jan of 2004. At first we thought what are we doing, left our kids at home and we not having a good time. But when we docked in our first port and went on our first excursion and met some wonderful people the rest was history. There we so many things we could do on the ship from entertainment to just relaxing! We chose a cruise cause we were not sure of which island we wanted to vacation at. So this past winter we opted out of the cruise and decided to go to the Dominican Republic. We had a blast but it took a few days before we started meeting people too. There were things to do but, it was limited really. When we got back from the ship that is all we talked about and truely we told our friends that we miss being on this ship. As for the island get away, we only got to see ONE island. On the cruise we got to see and tour three!! I dressed up on the island but in sundresses and my hubby wore pants and a shirt. On the ship he wore a TUX and I a gown! that was so worth it, infact he has not worn a tux since our wedding so seeing him and others dresses so wonderfully it was great! In my opinion it is each to there own, we prefer the cruise and look foreward to our next one in Feb. Only this time we are bringing two of three children. Happy cruising!!
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to widespreadpanic
Default Some great reasons to cruise...

All great reasons - I like to snorkel too, and this does give me the opportunity to try different spots. And the part about the tux is good too, although my SO has chosen to wear a suit...wonder if it's too late for him to "change his mind"? (I really mean too late for ME to try to change it!)

Thanks for the input!
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I love the relative lack of decision making necessary on a cruise. The largest decisions are which activities I want to participate in, or tours I want to do in port, and when and what I'm going to eat.

Like at an all inclusive, everything you need is in one place (the ship or resort), but on a cruise, the place takes you to visit other places

When traveling with family or a group, the process of getting organized and deciding where you are going, eating, sleeping etc etc is a pain. On a ship everyone has the ability to do what they want, and meet at dinner to share their days.

And I do feel that cruising gives an Xtra "taste of luxury" for very afforable prices!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sea Trekker

Lets see where do I begin...
1 No hassles with the travel schedule.
2. RELAX !!
3 Food
4 Entertainment
5 Ports of call
6. Excellent service, no beds to make,etc
7. meeting new friends and seeing old ones.
8.No phones, t.v., faxes, bosses
9. Sleep, eat, relax..oops said that
10. the culture of a new country.
11. shopping
12.the fresh air and sea
13. many more, just can't think right now.