Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:45 PM
Familiar Face

Default travel agent vs cruise line

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if it is better to book through a travel agent or directly with the cruise line? Who gives the better deal? Are there any problems booking with the cruise line directly? I 'm looking to book a trip with RCCL next year? Thank you so much, 8) Dee
Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Dee,
I personally feel its always better to work with a good cruise travel agent. They should always be able to get you the same or better price than booking directly with the cruiseline and you also have added insurance that there is someone to call and talk to should any problems come along. Should you need a name of a good agent, just e-mail me..

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM
Admiral

We have always used a TA as she can meet but usually beat the cruiseline price. Sometimes she has a special going on that she can hook us up with. There are many Cruise agents advertised here that will be glad to help you too. Whatever you choose to do just don't get insurance with the cruiseline, purchase it separately. We always use CSA Trip Protection. You can check out the different companies at insuremytrip.com and compare the services.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default travel agent v. cruisline

There is no one right answer for this. Last year I booked a short cruise on-line through Yahoo travel. I checked all the on-line travel agents as well as a local travel agent, and Yahoo had the best price for the same exact cruise, even better than RCCI. It was about $200.00 per person less than the quote I got from my local travel agent for the same cruise, same category. I got a great agent at Yahoo who told me what shift he worked each day and I was able to get in touch with him any time I needed him. This year, I checked all over the internet as well as with a travel agent, and the best deal was directly through RCCI website. They too, have been very helpful when I had questions. So, it really pays to check as many different sources as possible, it varies as to who has the better deal for the same cruise.
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

With current cruise line pricing policies, where they're not allowing agents to discount, it may seem it's just as easy to book directly with the cruise line.

However, the biggest concern would be IF something goes wrong. If you have a travel agent they can go to bat for you and represent your interests to the cruise line supervisors.

If you've booked with the cruise line directly, the person who did your booking works for the cruise line, NOT for you!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/