Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2005, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Default Switching Rooms with family members

We are on a cruise where we booked 8 rooms for 15 of us. Due to the cruise being during Christmas break, the cruiseline would not let us book more than 2 per room, so we have 4 rooms with balconies and 4 inside rooms right across from the balcony rooms. There had to be 1 adult per room upon booking. We want to switch rooms and put both adults in one room with the kids being in the room across from us. Can we just switch cards or are our pictures on these cards so that won't work?

Thanks for the help,
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You should be able to get it straightened out at check in. If not, then at the guest relations desk.

We've done it, and when our boys were younger, kept an extra key to their cabin to be able to check on them.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were able to book our kids in the cabin next door (on the Carnival Conquest) so we didn't have trouble with keys, but they would not issue an extra key, so I wasn't able to get into their room without them (or the room steward). This was the policy on the ship and there were no exceptions, no matter who you talked to---I talked to other parents in the same situation and they had the same problem with the purser's desk. I just wanted to let you know about this because, from reading the boards, I thought this was not going to be a problem.

You will need to bring the cards to the purser's desk and have them switched---wish you luck. If you just switch the cards, the adults with the kids cards aren't going to be able to order any drinks. Everyone needs to have their own card when in port to get back on the ship (that's where the picture comes into play). If you are sailing Carnival, I would try to get them to change the booking. If you have booked assigned cabins, the kids should be able to be booked in their own room, since the rooms are directly across the hall. It happens all the time. They don't usually allow it on guaranteed bookings because you don't know where the rooms will be located.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

This would also depend on the age of the ship. We did this on the Ecstasy, and the S&S card was different from the room card. I actually swapped the luggage tags in the motel the night before we cruised, and our room stewards gave the key cards to the people in that room. This time, if we get to cruise, we will have to come up with another plan, because this is a newer ship.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Thank you all for your suggestions. I don't know if they will let us switch when on board because it was a requirement to have an adult in each room when we booked the cruise. I think we may have to switch while on board and then switch again prior to shore excursions.

Kathy
Old September 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Kathy, It must be Carnival? It is a requirement, but for legal reasons only. I thought we might have to sneek around while on ship, but was first laughed at on ship, and then told that the only reason for this requirement, was to have an adult to come to in case of problems.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:22 AM
First Mate

Default FOR A CHILD, DO NOT attach a credit card to Sign & Sail

We had to re-issue keys once on board as we had "split" our parents room assignments to get past guest discounts. While they tried in port, only the pursers desk could help us.
On a second note, while my son was also in our room (so same key) we made the mistake of assigning our credit card to all the keys.
Needless to say one evening in the teen disco he could not locate his key. We found this out (after he searched for an hour) at about 1am!
Directly went down to Purser's desk and they cancelled old key account and re-issued. However we had to wait until all accounts were posted for the evening to see if any charged were made to the lost key.
Thankfully not. If a child needs to charge--have them get cash, or the fountain card. I cannot see a reason for a charge account attached. Just being cautious after our mishap.
Carnival Destiny June 2001, July 2005
NCL Southward June 1985 Honeymoon!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Admiral

We have had no problems with this issue on 4 Carnival ships. The BOOKING has to have one adults name on it for each cabin, but the kids can have their own cabin (I say kids, but mean teen and 21 yr old), and all we did was go to the purser's desk and swap cards. They were very accomodating (pardon the pun!)

donna