Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Beginner

Default Feeling dizzy after a cruise

Just got back from my very first cruise this past Saturday (9/17). Everyday since, I am feeling a bit dizzy and have this sensation as if I were still on the ship! I feel as if I'm swaying. This is making me feel tired with not much energy- I just want to lay down and rest my head!

Is this completely rare? Should I be worried? When will this sensation go away?
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

This is quite common. It should go away in about a week when you get your land legs back. If it doesn't, or if it's quite severe, you can go to your doctor.

Seasickness medications like Bonine (Meclizine) can help.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It is not unusual - we have definitely heard people talk about it before. A few people say it goes on for a long time (months), but most of us get over it within a couple of days.

I suspect it is just your equilibrium re-adjusting to terra firma, similar to the dizziness you feel after you get off of a merry-go-round, it just takes a little time to go away.

How bad is it? Is it just something you are aware of, but not really causing a problem? or is it something you are seriously worried about?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:05 PM
Admiral

I suffer from this affliction as well. I have had it happen after a cruise and long train rides. I find that Claritin helps for me. Since bonine and dramamine are antiohistimines as well, they may have similar function. It takes me a while to regain my equilibrium. I remember the day after we returned from our January cruise, I was so exausted I had to lay down and take a nap for the better part of the afternoon. I was so glad we didn't jump right back into our routine when we got off the ship and took a little time to recouperate from our vacation. I am sure I would not have been able to function otherwise. I would not try to fight the fatigue, I'd go and try to get as much rest as possible until you have caught up.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Grab a drink with an umbrella in it - put a steel drum cd on - lie back and enjoy. It will go away in a few days - then you will miss it lol. Mine lasted about two weeks.

You need to get on another cruise right away - the very best cure lol

Take care - ttfn Jennifer
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Seriously... one of the best things for me about a cruise is the soporific effect you get on board from the gentle movement. Within two or three days even the most energetic type A starts wanting a nap every afternoon. Absolutely the best way in the world to relax.
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Thanks for the input everyone!

After 6 days, the feeling has subsided! I am back to normal and feeling
like myself again!