Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2005, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Default Can they cancel flights

G- day, A question from a not so frequent flyer? It was reported here in Canada that Contenental/united/Delta have all just now seen that their jet fuel prices have jumped 90% since this time last year. WE have continental flights booked/paid for out of Buffalo-Tampa Dec. 1st. It said on report that they may cancel some flights. If it was ours ( hope not)
? 1) do they have to rebook us? 2) if so do they let you know/how?
or 3) do they just refund your money and say,, no flight?
Any one have imput.
Thanks for you advice to this and the many that I see on other topics.
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
First Mate

I flew soon after 9/11 and there were a lot of flights cancelled. They re-scheduled me to a different flight.

We are flying on Delta next April and we have already had our flights changed a couple of times. I think that they had cancelled one of the flights in the middle of the day, and that is why our early morning flight was moved to a later time.

Friends were notified by e-mail and we were notified by mail.

I have never heard of an airline just saying, 'Oh, well,' and giving you your money back.

If I were you, I would either look on-line or call the airline. Hopefully this will put your mind at ease.

Good luck!

Michelle
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Yes, when an airline cuts back its flight schedlue, it's done as part of an effort called "yield management," which is an attempt to have fewer seats fly empty. It is NOT an effort to turn away customers.

Therefore, you can bet that if your flight is one that's cancelled, the airline will be more than eager to work with you to rebook you. Odds are overwhelming that they'll get hold of you (if they don't it means that something went wrong). As Sheffie says, the easiest way to check on your flight is to look online. If it's still there, don't worry. If it's not, and if they haven't called you, call them.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
Admiral

AR is correct and they do want to try and work somthing out with you. I still would not wait until you are called but keep checking the flight via the Internet and if they cancel it call them right away to try and get the best flight available.
Jim
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

As everyone has said: Yes; they can cancel the flight and they will try to rebook you on another one.

In all my years of travel I have had this happened a number of times and I have found that the best notifications I have received are on flights that I have booked online. With a valid email address you will receive updates and notifications much faster than if you have to wait for a phone call or a letter.

There is an advantage of booking online and/or supplying the airline with a valid email address.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me