Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Passenger

Default Sodium content of ship's drinking water?

Does anyone know the sodium content of shipboard water? I have emailed HAL and asked but they wouldn't tell me and advised me to drink their bottled water. which makes me think that there must be a lot in there. My ankles swell during a cruise and I wondered if it could be too much sodium. I have asked for a low salt diet but we do drink a lot of water and their bottled water is quite expensive - certainly compared to what we pay at home. Plus we would need several bottles a day - sometimes it is hard to get them to bring us one bottle a day.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
First Mate

I would bring on my own water. People do this all the time. You could bring on as much as you could and then pick up more at one of your ports of call. That should cut down on the cost.

Happy sailing!

Michelle
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ship's water is desalinated. Probably purer than you'll find in almost American City.

But, you certainly are allowed to bring water onboard if you choose.

Amazing me to that bottled water, even on land, costs more than gasoline, but people willingly pay it.. without even baulking.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

As Kuki commented the water is better than home cities in the USA. I've seen and spoke with many that will fill their bottles from the tap to have on shore excursions.
If you decide not to do this buy your water in the ports, a lot cheaper than on the ship. Our last trip to the Mexican Riviera I purchsed bottled water from a Walmart and was very inexpensive.

For sodium content you will probally never get that question answered. Seems HAL does not have a true answer for you and of course they will make money on selling you the bottled water.
I have never found salt residue in a glass of water on any cruise line. The ice is made from desalinated water.

My guess is that if salt causes your anlkes to swell it is more the food than water.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver – Alaska – Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old October 17th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Admiral

My ankles swell, too and doctor advised it's because of being at sea level and all the rich food you eat on a cruise. I take AquaBan 2 or 3 times a day and that helps. It's over the counter and I get it at Walgreens.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default salt

It isn't the water it is the food. They cook with a very high salt content. We do not use or cook with salt at home and can really taste the difference. Sea level doesn't have anything to do with it - we live at sea level on the Gulf. Take the aqua-ban and just enjoy!!
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Admiral

chances are its not the water at all. Its the rich food, not moving around as much and alcohol that most likely are making your ankles swell. We drink the tap water, it is very good, you need to chill it. We buy water at the grocery store in port before we leave, once that's used up we just fill from the tap and throw it in the fridge. Drink grapefruit or cranberry juice as they are direutics
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Default Sodium content of Ship's drinking water?

Thanks everyone - excellent replies and helpful advice.
I can't take much drinking water with me as we have to fly to our point of embarkation but can certainly buy some in ports.

Good point about the salt in the food - you just have to watch the cooking shows to see how much salt is added. I have requested a low salt diet but will also stay away from gravies and sauces and soups which will contain a lot of salt. I don't add salt at all at home - herbs do the job better.

Never heard of Aqua-Ban - will look into it. Oh yes, we walk five miles a day while on board and use the exercise room - don't drink alcohol and eat very little of the rich food. Have lived at sea level all our lives and never had trouble with swollen ankles until we went up to 14,000 feet in the Andes Mountains.

Re: the water on board - we have always found it very palatable but one couple said that the water from the tap in their cabin was very salty.

Thanks again for all your help!

Grdner
Old December 23rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Familiar Face

I would like to weigh in this old post since I have new information. I am a travel agent and was recently told by my NCL sales rep that ALL ships (not just NCL) have sodium in the water and that's why people--including myself--swell up so much on a cruise! I do know they add a lot of salt to the food as well, but I have always told clients the water is completely safe. I will be bringing bottled water from now on.
CCL Pride 2/05
RCI Radiance 8/05
Dawn Princess 5/06
CCL Liberty 9/06
Norwegian Sun 9/06
MSC Opera 2/07
CCL Liberty 4/07
Caribbean Princess 10/07
Celebrity Galaxy 3/08
Explorer of the Seas 5/08
Mariner of the Seas 3/09
CCL Splendor 5/09
NCL Sun 8/09
Pacific Princess 9/09
Pacific Princess 11/09
Oasis of the Seas 11/09
Cunard Queen Mary 2 4/10
Celebrity Millennium 9/10
Allure of the Seas 2/11
HAL Zaandam 5/11
Allure of the Seas 3/12
Old December 23rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Admiral

So are we saying the ships water is not safe/not healthy?? surely they wouldn't supply water that was not healthy.
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

The water on the ships is fine, but they would rather have you pay for their bottled water which probably is not as pure.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Do people actually believe that this bottled stuff all comes from secret spring somewhere in a virginal mountain area....or some guy with a tap & a machine that seals bottles...
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Here's my opinion for what it's worth . The ship's water doesn't have any more salt in it than any other water. The ship's food is loaded with salt as is any restaurant on land.

The only time we buy water is when we're going on a tour off the ship and I've forgotten to bring a refillable bottle.

If you "swell up" on a cruise, it's probably from the food, not the water.

JMHO,
Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I find it difficult to believe that they add salt to the water, I've drinken it and never had a salty taste at all. As for the food, it has tons of salt, usually that makes the food taste much better...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As someone who's feet swell tremendously,[sigh] the flight, plus the extremely salted food, are what does it for me....if by chance there is a small content of salt in the water, I don't think it would make that big a difference. If you are prone to this,th e welcome aboard buffet, is the beginning of the "swell train."

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I find it difficult to believe that they add salt to the water, I've drinken it and never had a salty taste at all. As for the food, it has tons of salt, usually that makes the food taste much better...
Donna.. they DON'T. They have very large and expensive desalinization plants on board. They take in sea water, and REMOVE the salt from it.

The water onboard is likely more pure than most bottled water people buy.

The food on the other hand....and then many people add salt.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
...The water onboard is likely more pure than most bottled water people buy....
Exactly what I was going to say.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 24th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Admiral

I like salt, although we use a low sodium version at home. Certain food for me demand salt added..for me anyway, meat, eggs, potatoes of all sorts. BUT I must say on a ship or any other restaurant I never add seasoning until I have tasted the food, AND on a ship I find I seldom need to add any salt SO maybe those who say they salt the food a lot are right.
I think on the ''water thing'', people are getting mixed up between a water softener & a desalination plant.
Old December 24th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The on board water is made by either distillation or reverse osmosis filtering. Reverse osmosis is now the predominant desalination and purification systems on board new ships.

Both render an almost pure water that is equal, and usually better quality, than most city water supplies.

There will still be "trace" elements of sodium in the water but nothing more than you find at home or in bottled water.

The only issue you will find with tap water on board ships is that the water will pick up "debris" from the pipes over time.

I used to make a blanket statement that all ship's water was just fine and it is but there are some ships, usually older ships, that can have a "taste" in their water and/or may have some discoloration from the pipes. I have found a taste to the water of the Carnival Pride and the SS Statendam and I have found discoloration in the water on the Celebrity Century and the Norwegian Jade. On the Pride the taste was ship wide but on the Statendam it was only in the cabin. On the Celebrity Century the discoloration was very bad for two days and was only in the cabin and the same on Jade. This is four out of 30+ ships that I have sailed so it is not a major problem and I have no intention of drinking bottled water.

John: I always laugh to myself when I see someone put salt on their food before they even taste it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 24th, 2011, 09:41 AM
First Mate

It would cost you less than $50 I bet if you really needed the ships tap water tested. Take a bottle home after the cruise and call your city/county health dept. about getting a basic test on it.

I was also pleasantly suprised to find that on my last Princess cruise, even all the ships swimming pools had desalinated water in them ! I appreciate this because I can swim without my contacts falling out in fresh water, while ocean water loosens them and I have to either keep my eyes closed underwater or wear goggles.

Jun2009-Alaska - Celebrity Mercury@ Vancouver
Dec2009-Mex&C.A.-NCL Spirit @ NOLA
Mar2010-Aru&Cura-HA WesterdamDam @ Ft. Lau
Dec2010-Caribb- MSC Poesia @ Ft. Lau
Dec2011-S. Caribb- Emerald Princess@Ft Lau
Apr2012-Bahamas- CCL Fascination@ Jacksville
Jan2013-E Caribbean- RC Brilliance @ San Juan,PR
ApMay'13-VolgaRiver-MS Chaikovsky-Rostov to Moscow
Old December 26th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Admiral

My ankles swell badly, and I finally had to admit was not salt in the water or even in the food, but that I don't drink enough water on vacation. At home, I drink it constantly, which helps keep the swelling down. On a cruise, I am too often caught up in doing things. That, and the salt in the food, makes my normally skinny shanks turn into wierd balloon animals. But, the water on board is far better than at home or from bottles.
Marty
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I was told ...raised legs in bed helps, someone said put the lifejacket under the mattress.
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Admiral

I find the on board and on land usually contains to much salt.

I drink up to 2 liters (.5 gal for America's) of water per dya not including

coffee. I still gain about 3 pounds most of it water. We have a min salt

diet . I loss most plus a few extra pounds after about a week at home.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Default You have it

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Do people actually believe that this bottled stuff all comes from secret spring somewhere in a virginal mountain area....or some guy with a tap & a machine that seals bottles...
That is my theory as well .
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
First Mate

After the engineers on my ship remove all the salt from sea water, they actually do add salt back into the water - but not the salt you are thinking of, and not for any reasons you might guess.

De-salinated sea water is salt free, for all practical purposes. That makes it very "soft". Very soft water is very damaging to metal pipes. Since the water contains no minerals, it leeches metal ions out of the metal pipes as it travels through them, causing the pipes to rot and leak very quickly.

To counteract this potentially disastrous and expensive problem, the engineers on all modern cruise ships add mineral salts (not sodium) to the de-salinated water before it travels through the ship's plumbing system. This protects the pipes, and does add a bit of flavor to the water.
Essentially it is mineral water - but not from a natural mineral water spring.
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks Bruce,
Now, that I can understand. I just didn't buy the fact that they add sodium to the water, it certainly has no taste.

Message Boards Moderator