Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel
Default where will we fly into?

We are flying out of Edmonton Canada for a cruise on the Liberty Feb 12th. We booked our cruise online at a cruise site but we do not know what flight we will be taking or the airline until it is time to go...this has me a little worrried but, I was just wondering our port we leave is Port Everglades, so are we flying into Miami or Fort Lautterdale(sp). How far are both of them from where we leave on the ship. We wont even find out what hotel we stay at the night before when we fly in....anyone else have the same problem as us?
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Sounds as though you have booked Cruise Line air, through the agency.

Cruise line air is normally assigned 30 days before sailing, so at that point I'd get ahold of the TA, and get your flight info, and call the airline and make certain of your seating assignments.

They could fly you into, or out of, either Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. If they use Miami they'll bus you to/from the ship. They are about a 45 minute or so trip apart.

You still have time to cancel the flight and hotel portion, and just buy the cruise. I would check some air schedules and costs yourself. You can likely save some money booking your own air and hotel.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:31 PM
First Mate

Default Which port ???

Hi,

Your airport at destination will very likely be FortLauderdale.
I hope you're flying the day before.....Otherwise, you'll likely be routed on a red eye flight from Edmonton to Toronto, then down to FLL .It's the ONLY way you can make FortLauderdale in time. Same applies to Miami.
Airport and pier in FortLauderdale are quite close; regards Miami, like Kuki says, add about 1 hour, its airport is close to I-95 .

I strongly suggest you revert your pre/post cruise transit to yourself.
AND arrange to get to FLL 11th Feb. An early flight out of YEG with connection thru TO will get you to FLL right around dinner, their time zone.
Lots of moderately costed hotels along 17th Ave, less than 10 minutes from airport;;; short and easy shuttle to pier the morning after...and just think:: you can then checkin as early as possible and enjoy the cruise right from the sailaway day...and max out your stay.

We're sailing on Infinity 2nd april and ARE getting to FLL from Vancouver the day before.

Good luck
Happy sailing
Cheers
CG

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Admiral

first thing i would do is to call the agency, get your actual booking number - this is so important it will give to access to all your cruise information on the web site and with the cruise line directly- talk to an actual person (if you can) find out as many details as you can, get the persons name and extension if you can. Chances are that your air isn't booked yet, same might be for your hotel. The agency probably bought a block of rooms at a hotel, ask. Ask them to send you a hard copy of what is and isn't included in your cruise package
Do some research on your own. You can cancel up to 90 days prior to departure with no penatly from the cruise line.
Old October 19th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Passenger

When I booked our cruise I chose to book a flight with the cruise because airfare from where I live to book all by itself is outragous!! I called my TA that booked our trip and that is exactly what they told me...they book the flight from when the rest of my trip is paid off to 30 days before our trip. We DO fly in the night before on the 11th but we do NOT know as to what hotel it will be. Wonder if I can request FL instead of Miami? Or do you think that is up to the flight they book us into? Hoping we have a very early flight to which ever so we can show the kids some of the sites there....like the Keneddy Space Centre...they would love that. Thanks for your help and tips everyone!
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Admiral

Angel, you might have another option. If you booked this as a package with air/hotel then you are basically stuck with the deal. If you prefer to fly into Ft. Lauderdale ask your TA about an air deviation, you will pay extra for this, then ask about hotel specials in Ft. Lauderdale.
FYI - Kennedy Space Center is not doable from either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, you would need to fly into Orlando to make that work.
Most cruisers don't do any type of sight-seeing on day of departure, its basically get up when you want, have a nice leisurly breakfast, make a quick run to the grocery store if needed, check-out of the hotel, grab the hotel shuttle or cab to the pier(usually around 11-11:30 am) get to the pier, off load luggage, check in, board the ship, explore the ship, have lunch and get ready to sail.
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM
Passenger

Hello, Thanks for the tip...I called about air deviation and it will cost us $50pp so $200.00 for us to fly earlier. I have it so we will now leave on the 10th late at night so we will have the entire day on the 11th to site see or just relax there too. Well that is a real bummer that we cant do the Kennedy Space Center... just for interests sake how far is Orlando from FL? How about the Everglades...same thing? Our TA told us that our hotel is included with our package so we will not know what hotel we will be staying at until we get our docs.