Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Default Alaska Cruise Opinions Needed

I'm ready to book our cruise for next June. We have it narrowed down to two on the dates we need. Holland America or Princess. Which line would you pick? Very little price difference for a balcony room.
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Passenger

We like the Carnival Spirit inside passage from Vancouver (one way). The ship is great with staterooms bigger than most cruise lines. The balcony cabin is awesome when cruising Alaska.
Old October 20th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You have narrowed your choices down to the big two for Alaska and it is somewhat of a toss up.

Princess offers you the option of Traditional Dining or Personal Choice. Traditional is set times and set table and table mates. Personal Choice is where you dine when you want and have different table mates each night.

Holland America offers the traditional dining experience.

Otherwise it is somewhat of a toss up other than the type of ship. If you are looking at the Coral Princess, it is a very nice ship for Alaska. I will be sailing an S class HAL ship in March and will be interested in comparing it to a Sea or Coral class Princess ship.

I think either way you won't be disappointed. Especially if you are doing a land tour.

Take care,
Mike
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:22 PM
First Mate

if you are doing a land tour along with cruise woul suggest you look at Princess as they own their own lodges along with their own train car and buses.Havig lived in Ak for 18 yrs Ihave seen their development in a first class manner.They were the first to get cruisers to combine cruuise with land and now you will see a lot more of the last frontier.Cruising only is not near enough to have good picture of all the great sites Holland is a good second and all the others rely on putting you up at local accomodations which may not be all first class.
Old November 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Passenger

Default !~

Have done both. Holland America just a bit "classier" and the food is just a bit better. Princess, however, has an edge with their on-board naturalist and commentator. Choose by the itenerary...Whichever includes Glacier Bay! IMFO.
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Beginner

we were on the holand and loved every minute of it. we were on both ships before going and i agree that the holand has much more class.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Beginner

We sailed on the Coral Princess this past August and then did the Princess tour to Denali and Fairbanks. Ship was beautiful, mini suite was comfortable and on board naturalist really added to the trip. I loved the land portion, including the train ride. The lodges in Denali and Fairbanks were very nice. :