Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 8th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to pj1111
Default 50th B-Day Cruise from CA

Hi -
My sister and I are hoping to plan my mom's 50th b-day party on a cruise with all of our family. The birthday is in Sept 06. We want to leave from California, most likely L.A. for a 4-7 day cruise depending on cost. Are there any companies that assist planning for a big group or have any sort of special programs if you are trying to plan a birthday or something?? Any help is appreciated...we have no idea what we are getting ourselves into....
Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi PJ,
Your best bet would be to contact a good cruise travel agent that can help with group cruises, they can usually offer discounts depending on how many cabins you will need. In some cases, they can add some perks, including ship board credits, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Hi pj1111,

Welcome to these boards!

My suggestion would be for you to find a Travel Agent who is a Certified Cruise Planner. If you know people who have cruised, ask them for recommendations. If not, call around to the companies in your area that have been around for a while and ask if they have a Cruise Planner.

The TA's are paid a commission from the cruise lines, so it shouldn't cost you anything (some do charge a small service fee of $25.00 or less).

They know all about planning for groups and a good TA will make everything almost "painless" for you! (BTW, I'm not a TA, I just have a great one!)

Most of the cruise lines will decorate your Mom's cabin door for her birthday and you can also purchase a birthday "package".

Have fun planning,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 9th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with others, when it comes to dealing with a group -find yourself a good local TA and hook-up with an experienced cruise TA within the agency. Your TA will handle all the details about planning the birthday bash.
You want to find an agency that is ASTA certified.
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:05 AM
First Mate

Yup. just like they all said!
Old November 12th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Admiral

I agree with the others too. Get a Travel Agent.

I booked a family reunion cruise a couple of years ago and my hair is just now starting to come back on my head. It was horrendous trying to accomodate so many different people........... "can't we go another week, Little Johnny has a soccer tournament that week", "We have to have a balcony room because Millie is claustrophobic", "I think we can save money by booking on our own", "We want early dining because Buffy and Puffy get cranky if they don't eat by 5:30 p.m., "we want late dining to avoid all the kids"............etc.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to pj1111

Hey, just wanted to say thank you to all of you who posted, I really appreciate it. I guess my next task is to find an agent.....and try to keep it a surprise from my nosy MOM!! I will start calling around and meeting agents asap, it is going to take a special person to deal with me, my extended family, and all of our friends. Most of them hae neer been out of the country!!