Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Beginner

Default physically disabled: no room at the inn?

Wondering why people with physical disablities don't have ther options in suite booking able bodied people have.

Choices are very limitied, and if you don't book at least a full year out, you may not even get a cabin that can accommodate a wheel chair.

What gives?
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Do you have any data to back you up? In my limited cruising experience, I have known many people in wheel chairs in all levels of cabins.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old November 12th, 2005, 04:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

I found most cabins can accommodate a normal wheel chair through the cabin door. If for some reason an individuals girth requires an oversize chair this may present a problem in any cabin.

You should post your question on the "Disability forum" for a more explicit answer.

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Vancouver _ Alaska _ Los Angeles, Sept 16, 2006 on Summit

Old November 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Admiral

All cabins are booked for every cruise if at all possible. That is what keeps the ships in business. If an able-bodied passenger is in a handi-capped cabin and it is needed for someone in a wheelchair they will move the person in the handicapped room, unless of course the ship is already full. Cruiseships try very hard to accomodate handi-capped people and no able-bodied person should ever intentionally book a handicapped cabin. As others have said, many wheelchairs can access the regular cabins if necessary.
Jim
Old January 5th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

First of all as a wheelchair person who books these cabins I can tell you there are a handful of ships currently that have ANY HC suites. Few have Balcony cabins. Some older ships have from 1 to 4 HC cabins of any kind.

on the newest ships the average is about 20 to 28 total HC cabins out of all the cabins on the ship.

It is a common misconception that if you book an HC cabin and a HC person needs it you will be moved. That is simply not the case even though some lines will say it is.

While those of us that need them often have to jump through hoops to get them and submit all sorts of private info. Many travel agents will book them for able bodied clients and say of yes the paperwork will be coming in.
BUT the cruise line does not follow up on paperwork.

I have been on cruises where six months in advance I was shut out of booking one of the FOUR cabins on board and when I cruised from a regular cabin, and don't ask how that went, I went to each of those four cabins and found that none of them had anyone requiring a HC cabin.

With the latest Supreme court ruling on the subject and the aging baby boomers we should start seeing many more ships with more HC in all categories. but Abled bodied will still grab them for "more room" until the cruise lines themselves stop them.

I have not problem by the way with these cabins being sold or given out to Abled bodied near cruise time.
Old January 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Admiral

another point that needs to be mentioned is that cruise ships are foreign owned, and they only have to abide by their countries laws when it comes to the disabled.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Familiar Face

We were booked in an hc room but were not advised of it till we did our own research on the room. Our TA said we were paying more for a larger balcony and placment on the ship. I wonder though how does the ship know if you are handicapped or not if the TA books the room? Also if you are changed to another room I would hope it would be in accordince with what you had paid for ie: larger balcony. Anyways I too agree it would not be right to book these room knowingly since they are intened for HC guests. Just my thoughts and ?'s.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
another point that needs to be mentioned is that cruise ships are foreign owned, and they only have to abide by their countries laws when it comes to the disabled.
That is no longer the case for any ship that does business in the US that was the Supreme court ruling I was referring too.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by planb
We were booked in an hc room but were not advised of it till we did our own research on the room. Our TA said we were paying more for a larger balcony and placment on the ship. I wonder though how does the ship know if you are handicapped or not if the TA books the room? Also if you are changed to another room I would hope it would be in accordince with what you had paid for ie: larger balcony. Anyways I too agree it would not be right to book these room knowingly since they are intened for HC guests. Just my thoughts and ?'s.
Your TA is lying to you. there is no higher charge for the "larger balcony" of a HC cabin the cost is exactly the same as any other cabin OF THE SAME CATEGORY. In other words a BA cat is a BA whether HC accessible or not.

Some TAs tell the cruisline you are disabled in order to book you the "BIG" room. They then never send in any paperwork and the Cruiseline does not check.
Old January 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I have replied to this post in-line as these statements need some clarification I think. See the remarks preceded by ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark
First of all as a wheelchair person who books these cabins I can tell you there are a handful of ships currently that have ANY HC suites. Few have Balcony cabins. Some older ships have from 1 to 4 HC cabins of any kind.

I have to correct these erronous statements. All ships sailing from the USA have handicapped cabins on them. In addition, the cruiseships are not registered in the USA and do not have to meet the ADA rules and in certain areas it is impossible to do so simply for safety reasons! It is a ship first after all! It seems to me that they do a tremendous job of working with those that are handicapped. (PS "I" am handicapped BTW)***

on the newest ships the average is about 20 to 28 total HC cabins out of all the cabins on the ship.

It is a common misconception that if you book an HC cabin and a HC person needs it you will be moved. That is simply not the case even though some lines will say it is.

***If there is a handicap cabin they will ask the non-handicapped person to vacate it and offer a better cabin upgrade. If they refuse, they may well move them anyway if they booked it under false pretenses. Unless you have proof otherwise then you should not make this claim that is contrary to the official statements. It is against the law to do so.***

While those of us that need them often have to jump through hoops to get them and submit all sorts of private info. Many travel agents will book them for able bodied clients and say of yes the paperwork will be coming in.
BUT the cruise line does not follow up on paperwork.

***You just claimed that non-handicapped people book them all the time without any proof and then you state that they should not ask for the proof? I am confused as to your desires?***

I have been on cruises where six months in advance I was shut out of booking one of the FOUR cabins on board and when I cruised from a regular cabin, and don't ask how that went, I went to each of those four cabins and found that none of them had anyone requiring a HC cabin.

***Then you should have gone to the pursers desk and reported it and followed up with a letter to special services of the particuliar cruiseline.***

With the latest Supreme court ruling on the subject and the aging baby boomers we should start seeing many more ships with more HC in all categories. but Abled bodied will still grab them for "more room" until the cruise lines themselves stop them.

I have not problem by the way with these cabins being sold or given out to Abled bodied near cruise time.

The Supreme Court has no jurisdiction in foreign countries and the ships are technically and legally 'foreign soil'.
Jim
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jim the Supreme court does have jurisdiction over ships that stop in US ports as far as abiding by the ADA rules here, this case has been ongoing for some time now. I agree they cannot meet every ADA requirement but those that can reasonably be done must now be done, before it was a much muddier issue.

I don't understand what your problem with me is. I did not say they should not ask, I indicated that many travel agents say paperwork will be coming and they do not send any because the client is not handicapped.
Those of us that are send the paperwork as we don't want any additional problems with the line when we do check in.

I would really like to talk to some people who were in fact moved from an HC cabin because someone needed it.
and I certainly did contact the purser who I had been working with before boarding and to the cruiseline yet again, as I had been talking with them in the months prior to this cruise.

I do not see how posting that what the cruise line tells people and what they do are not the same thing is in any way against any law.

The whole point of my posts was the fact that many people are mislead into believing things about the whole HC accomodation situation and that contributes to the problem of cabins not being available to those that need them.

I am not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here.
Old January 7th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Admiral

I have not heard of any decision concerning the ADA as it relates to foriegn registered cruiseships, nor do I see any reason why our Supreme Court should have any jurisdiction over another country. For better or worse, these ships ARE foreign soil. As for the referance about being unlawful I was trying to let you know that unless you can prove that the Cruiselines are actually lying then you leave yourself open to a lawsuit when you say that they are lying. I have no problem with you, just that your post was a bit confusing at times and you made statements that cannot be proven and are harmful to a business. You must have the facts to back these statements. If you do have these facts, by all means submit them to an attorney and call them on it.
Jim
Old January 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Wheelchair accessible

I have cruised only on Carnival ships and have seen many wheelchairs and electric scooters on board. Our last cruise on the Conquest had a huge group of disabled passengers traveling together and judging by the number of wheelchairs and scooters on board, they could not have all been in handicap cabins. The literature says that all wheelchairs and scooters must be stored in the cabin when not in use and not left in the hallways. Well, believe me, we passed many, many of these parked in the hallways outside of cabins on that cruise. The Conquest has many balconies and some suites. We had a balcony room and there seemed to be plenty of room to accomodate a wheelchair.

I did notice that some people were very rude in rushing to the elevators ahead of these people who were already waiting in wheelchairs and would not make room for them. My husband and I often waited for an elevator and held it for a couple of wheelchairs or scooters then took a flight of stairs ourselves. I am not able to climb more than 1 or 2 flights myself due to a lung condition and bad knee. But, having a quadraplegic brother for 25 years, makes me appreciate that I could take the stairs some and allow those truly disabled passengers the use of the elevators.

Believe me, stay on one of the upper decks in a balcony room and you should be fine.

Good luck and happy cruisin.
Old January 9th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
I have not heard of any decision concerning the ADA as it relates to foriegn registered cruiseships, nor do I see any reason why our Supreme Court should have any jurisdiction over another country. For better or worse, these ships ARE foreign soil. As for the referance about being unlawful I was trying to let you know that unless you can prove that the Cruiselines are actually lying then you leave yourself open to a lawsuit when you say that they are lying. I have no problem with you, just that your post was a bit confusing at times and you made statements that cannot be proven and are harmful to a business. You must have the facts to back these statements. If you do have these facts, by all means submit them to an attorney and call them on it.
Jim
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...se_scotus.html here is one review of the decision which was reached on June 5 2005. It is not I will grant you a sweeping change, but you state that you know of no Supreme court ruling regarding ADA and cruise ships. a google search will give you many other sites that cover the ruling. Just don't want you to think I am making it up.
Old January 11th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by planb
Your TA is lying to you. there is no higher charge for the "larger balcony" of a HC cabin the cost is exactly the same as any other cabin OF THE SAME CATEGORY. In other words a BA cat is a BA whether HC accessible or not.

Some TAs tell the cruisline you are disabled in order to book you the "BIG" room. They then never send in any paperwork and the Cruiseline does not check.
We were concerned about being misled about the cost but have confirmed that a balcony and an extended balcony on the ships are different prices and list as so. Hence the price for the "Larger balcony" hopefully new designes willl provide more HC accomidations as we all know everyone should go on a cruise !