Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to wrangleroper
Default new need advice help please!!

Hi my name is Angela. My DH and I are booking our first cruise and i have a ton of questions. We are thinking of the conquest western caribbean cruise. We are thinking of late Aug. My question is why is it so much cheeper in Sept then in aug.? Is the weather bad in the caribbean that time? I've heard hurracain season is from late june all the way into Oct. Is that true? Have any of you cruised in aug, sept? And if so how was the weather? I was looking at the cabins in my book and we were thinking of a balcony cabin. Have any of you stayed in one and if so was it worth the extra money to have it? Is there enough room on the balcony to sun bath? Or have your morning coffee? I am a first time cruiser and any advice would be greatly apprechated. Oh one more thing. How did you book your cruise? travel agent or straight through carniaval I've seen good deals on cheep tickets and other web sites has anyone booked there cruise this way? Which would you suggest? Thanks for any help. Ang
Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hurricane season is June - thru - Nov.

Sept is less expensive than Aug for a couple of reasons....
1. Aug kids are out school, so even though it's hurricane season, it's traditional vacation time, and demand is higher.
2. Sept. is hurricane season, and families aren't vacationing, and Sept in a non traditional vacation time.. so less demand, thus lower prices

Balconies are great, if they fit in the budget. Unless you are in a suite, they arent very big. Not large enough for a sun lounger to lay on! There are a couple of chairs and a small table. No problem enjoying coffee and breakfast on the balcony, or sitting out reading a book watching the waves go by, and relaxing.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info! So since school isn't an issue with us i am woundering if it would be better for us to book in Sept. Save a few dollars. Do you know if the weather is good in the caribbean in sept.? I have checked some weather web sites and it seems to be but i am not so sure. Thanks again for the info!
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Admiral

We often book in Sept simply because it is much cheaper and also because we are not the type that can't deal with changing ports at the last minute. We look at it as an adventure. As said, hurricane 'season' runs from June 1st to Nov 31st with the most active time in September. Understand that there has been a hurricane in every single month of the year at one time or another! <G> Outside of those five months though it is exceptionally rare. If you are up for a gamble, (make sure you do take cruise insurance just in case the port is wiped out), then cruising in Sept can be great and very affordable.
Jim
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:50 PM
First Mate

September weather can be good, or you can have a hurricane! The ship will not go into a hurricane, but things can be a choppy getting to a different destination.

It is the middle of hurricane season, who who knows.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old November 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Admiral

We also mostly cruise during hurricane season. Prices are MUCH better and we have no problem with changing itineraries....as long as there is a drink of the day, and the beautiful blue ocean, we are as happy as clams! (and how does anyone know when clams are happy anyway????)

Whenever, wherever you go, enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old November 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Passenger

Jean S What a great way to look at it! I think we might check out the price diferance and see how much we will save thanks everyone for the advice. What is this Insurance everyone keeps talking about? What does it cover, how much does it cost? Thanks
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM
Admiral

As Kuki stated, the prices are cheaper in Sept. because there is not as much demand. You'll also find cheaper prices in the first of Jan. for the same reason. This is when we normally cruise.

September is the peak month for hurricanes. Normally, cruises aren't cancelled due to hurricanes but they are rerouted to different ports. If you are dead-set about seing a particular port then I would not recommend cruising during hurricane season.

Insurance will cover your expenses if you are unable to cruise due to illness, family medical emergency, cancelled trip, bankrupt cruiseline, or other events. Mostly things which are out of your control. Also, and this (in my opinion) is the biggest reason for buying insurance, to cover your medical emergencies while on the cruise. Most all personal and company insurance will not cover you outside of the U.S. so if you are in Cozumel and trip and break an ankle and miss your ship and have to fly home you will not be reimbursed for your expenses unless you have insurance.

I read on these boards where a woman had to be life flighted off the ship and the cost to her for the transportation to shore was $12,000. She had insurance and didn't have to pay for it.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Passenger

thomas thanks for the information. We are Military so our insurance covers us where ever we go but for the other stuff alone it sounds worth it. Do you know how much it usally cost for this and where do you get the insurance? Is it through your cruise line? Well i don't care about missing a port of call it's all an adventure for us. My DH and i haven't been on vacation in 8 years and we have 2 1/2 yr old twins and a 10yr old and to us just getting some alone time is all that matters. We are looking forward to this cruise and just plan on taking it easy and enjoying each other. DH is in afganistaind for his 2nd tour so it's been a while since we've had some time together and time alone. We would be happy stuck in our cabin all cruise as long as we still had room service that is. lol thanks again!
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Admiral

You can go to insuremytrip.com to get quotes from different agencies. For our upcoming cruise in January, which we've insured for $2200 travel expenses, $100,000 medical, $750 luggage, and other coverages, the cost was around $145 or so.

I would not get insurance through the cruiseline. If the cruiseline goes bankrupt how good will the insurance be?

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Passenger

For every passanger you find who will cruise again during hurricanne season, you'll find one who won't. It's a matter of preference. Before you jump in with the "it's no big deal crowd" do a search & at least read the horror stories.

My 1st cruise was in Sept b/c I too was lured by the prices. As a hurricanne approaced, my nerves were shot. I was a wreck. It turned out fine & we even had great weather but I doubt I'd do it again.

Cruise insurance is a must. Being flexible is alos important. I would also fly in the day before just in case.
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Passenger

One thing no one has mentioned about a balcony is cigarette smoke! If you are sensitive about second hand smoke, you might not want a balcony. We sprang for one for our 25th anniversary cruise last Feb and I swear there were smokers on all sides and above and below. It was awful. We loved the view but our dream of fresh air at night was ruined most evenings. Now we book an inside and spend the extra on doing fun things. Hope you have a good cruise.
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Admiral

I think the most important bit of advise you can get is that 3 people will have 3 entirely different cruise stories, so take in all the info and then decide what is best for YOU. Here are MY storeis:

We've never experienced smoke as a problem on our balcony (we've had several) and always get a balcony when we can.

We've cruised without cruise insurance, but now only cruise WITH it - just not worth the risk. If you can't afford to miss the cruise, lose all your money and pay for another, then insurance is the way to go. And Thomas is correct, the medical coverage is good enough reason alone. It sounds as though you are covered medically (although you might check on the medical evacuation part....), but what if something happens to either one of you, or your children (god forbid) and you can't go on the cruise? You will not get a refund from the cruiseline and that is where insurance comes in handy.

Enjoy your cruise and your time with your husband!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04