Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Default Any Safety tips for women travelers?

Having just watched a Dr Phil show about Natalee Holloway, and Amy Bradleywho dissappeared from a cruise ship years ago. I am concerned about safety for women travelers both on cruise ships and in ports of call. It is very scary the white slavery issue and the possibility of kidnapping. What advice do you have for women and solo travelers?
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Watch what is going on around you and be very aware of your surroundings. Let people know where you are going and when you will return. Travel with a male companion or in groups. Take self-defense courses, especially those taugh by the local Police if offered. Take ships tours whenever you are not sure of your safety or feel uneasy. Be assertive and look people in the eyes and act confidant of yourself and not meek. Do not drink too much. I am sure I have missed many but I'll let others jump in.
Jim

PS Oh, it helps to understand the language but not to allow the locals know you understand what they are saying. 8)
Old November 27th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Any Safety tips for women travelers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by showcat
Having just watched a Dr Phil show about Natalee Holloway, and Amy Bradleywho dissappeared from a cruise ship years ago. I am concerned about safety for women travelers both on cruise ships and in ports of call. It is very scary the white slavery issue and the possibility of kidnapping. What advice do you have for women and solo travelers?

I have heard some about this issue, and I don't have much official insight, but I would suggest you don't go off with any charming strangers, whether they be crew or fellow passengers. Pay attention to your surroundings, be very aware (as if you were in NYC-don't be a target). Don't go sightseeing or on excursions alone. This is just common sense but sometimes on vacation when meeting new people and having relaxing fun, it is easy to get comfy and complacent and forget that not everyone is nice and decent.
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Admiral

While I was trying to stay away from the issue of where this info came from and try to just focus on the concerns I have to say something. Dr Phil is nothing but a show looking for ratings and should be ashamed for exploiting these two families to gain a larger maket-share and hence command more money for commercials. First Ms. Holloway is the unfortunate victum of an oversexed little spoiled creep. She was 99.9% murdered and not sold into slavery im my opinion after getting intoxicated and going off with 3 young men. She was on a land vacation. Amy Bradley was on a ship and last reported as intoxicated and sitting on a balcony railing where indeed her cigarettes were found. She did not walk off the ship nor is there any indication that she was kidnapped and secretly offloaded by the crew. The crew lives in very tight areas and I know crew, everyone knows what everyone is doing and there are no secrets in crew quarters. Someone would have known and reported it immediately. Amy unfortunately fell overboard and was lost at sea. All these so called sightings of these two are a valid as the sightings of Elvis.
Jim
Old November 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Passenger

Default Safety

Make sure to dress somewhat conservatively. Don't wear flashy jewelry or flash money around. Also carry the minimum amount of valuables as necessary - Looking like you are wealthy or have something that someone wants makes you a target.

Also, use covered luggage tags - These will keep your personal information from being exposed to everyone who comes into contact with your luggage.

Leave a copy of your itinerary and your passport, as well as a photocopy of any credit cards you plan to take with you with someone at home. Even if you're not positive that you'll be taking certain on-shore excursions, jot down the ones you're interested in so that someone at home can have an idea as to what you're doing and where you may be.

Don't discuss your travel plans or other personal information with strangers, no matter how trustworthy they may seem. This includes things as simple as not mentioning the time and airline for your return flight home. Be vague when answering questions, and don't feel obligated to answer personal questions.

While it may be tempting to share the expenses for excursions not organized by the cruiseline, it's much safer to stick with the cruise groups as much as possible.

Pickpockets will use many different methods to steal your purse. They may ask for directions, point to a stain on your shirt, use an accomplice, or create some sort of distraction. Be suspicious of everyone - Even the staff.

Make sure you're aware of the local emergency numbers.

Look purposeful when you're moving about. Even if you're lost, try to appear confident in where you're going.

Keep your door locked at all times, and don't let any visitors in your room. In fact, don't even let them know what room you're staying in. While people can be charming and seem trustworthy, it is much safer to meet up with new cruise friends in a public location.

If you're suspicious of someone in a cab, or an elevator, simply wait for the next one. Better safe than sorry.

A simple self-defense move: If someone grabs your wrist, twist your wrist towards their thumb. Their thumb is the weakest part of their grip. Remember that if someone touches you, you have every right to defend yourself.

If you meet up with a stranger that makes you uncomfortable in any way, let someone in an authority position know. File a complaint if necessary.

I probably sound paranoid, and it probably seems like it will be difficult to relax when you have so many safety issues to think about, but your trip will be great. Just keep your thinking cap on all the time!
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:37 PM
First Mate

Keep an eye on your drinks. You don't want anyone slipping something into them.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100