Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Questions about the photographers

I've seen many posts devoted to this in other forums, but I still don't understand it. Are these people employed by the cruiseline? People have made it sound like they are around every corner with a camera pointed at your face. Being a newbie some of it sounds fun, but why the expensive prices? I have a digital camera and I'm perfectly capable of asking someone to take a picture of me for free. Also, do they really display these pictures for all to see somewhere on the ship? According to the Westerdam's deckplans, a large area seems to have been given over to this. I'm not sure I want everyone to see my mug up on a wall.
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

The photographers are contracted by the cruise line. They are not employees of the cruise line.
Some lines do go overboard with the pictures and seem to have a photographer around every corner, this is rare.

Each cruise ship has a photo gallery that displays all the photos taken, your mug and thousands of other photos are on display.

Pricing is absurd. 65% of the photos on display get trashed. The accounting cost for each photo is an average of the ones thrown away that can still make a huge profit with those discarded. Business is business.

The photography department brings in more revenue than the bar tending department.
Think about it, you take your picture digital chip to a store and print out your photos for say 35 cents (4x6) a piece and the the cruise line is charging $7.50.

This is a real pet peeve of mine and I quit buying ship photos. As you commented having someone else snapping your photo and printing it out is more valuable than a ship picture.

Old December 5th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Admiral

some lines are "pushy" when it comes to photographers. I don't think you will encounter that on your HAL cruise. They will be around when you depart, at each port of call, during certain deck activites, and especially on formal nights. You can get a formal picture taken or you can get a candid picture taken at dinner. They will ask.
We like to get a family formal portrait taken and maybe a couple of candid shots, we don't go overboard on purchases of pictures because they are expensive.
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Seattle:
I have rarely had "really" pushy photographers. On our Carnival cruise they were a bit much but not too bad. They will always be on the gangway in each port. Sometimes we stop and get a picture sometimes we don't. We don't often purchase a picture but we always look at them. It's sort of fun to see how bad you look. My wife makes it a point to make sure that she throws them away so no one else sees them.

I have always found that a cheerful "No thank you." is all that it takes for the photographers to move on. Then again it can be worth to just take a moment and say "cheese".

If we can easily get around the embarkation photo we do. After a number of cruises there is no need to get a picture of us in rumpled clothing. However if it's your first cruise and you are brimming with excitement I would get the shot. If it looks good it may be worth the keepsake. However, I do have an issue when they jump in the middle of dining conversation.

I do have a few pictures that I have purchased that turned out quite nice and have special places in the house.

OK: I'm done rambling and you can take it for what it's worth. Go on your cruise and have a great time and who knows, you may come back with a good picture in your suitcase.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the input. Yes it is my first cruise and I will probably buy a couple of the candid shots that would be difficult for me to do myself.

I agree with the wife and sneaking down to the photo gallery in the middle of the night to remove and throw away my pic without being seen is not out of the question. Speaking of that, what is to stop everyone from just grabbing whatever prints they want? Are they kept in a display case?
Old December 6th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Seattle:

The pictures are only put out at certain times so you can't just go down and take them and walk away very easily. They areas are usually in a passage way and I suppose if you were really hard up for a picture you could walk away with one but I don't think many people do but I could be wrong. The staff is on duty during this time and are usually watching.

They actually encourage you to take the pictures you don't want up to the desk so they can be disposed of. There are usually signs asking you to do so. The times are usually printed in the daily ship's schedule.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old December 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Admiral

You can't walk out with them because the photos have a bar code on the back that sets off a very loud BEEP when you try to walk thru the little security "arch" in the photo area.

Get a formal pic done, at least. It's nice to see everyone all dressed up!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old December 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Dorothy or anyone else.

I've never noticed a bar code or a securty arch. Is this a Carnival thing?

Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Take care,
Mike (Who needs to try and steal a picture)

Old December 7th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Hi Mike,

Yes, there is "something" in the pictures that makes the "bells go off"! There are security arches or stands at both ends of the area like the ones at your local grocery store.

There's usually a box with a slot somewhere in the area for you to dispose of the pictures you don't want .

When the area isn't open they pull out a security screen to keep people from coming in. (At least in my experience.)

I never even thought of someone else buying one of our pictures ! I guess it's possible, but why? (Unless you're a movie star!) And don't worry about other people seeing your "mug"! They'll be too busy looking for their own pictures .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That's interesting. Only one of my cruises have been on Carnival and I do not purchase many pictures so I don't pay too much attention to the photo areas but I have never noticed the security screens. I also haven't heard one go off.

I have always felt a little sorry for the photography staff having to put out the pictures on ships that do not have the retractable panels. It would be a very tedious task to put them out and then have to collect them.

One complaint I have had is that many of the areas are poorly lit and hard to see the photos and if you are unlucky enough to have your photo put on the bottom shelf you have to get down on your belly to see it. I guess I'll have to put that on the Gripes board.

Take care,
Mike

Old December 8th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Those little security buttons are on most lines I believe. We just don't notice them because we don't try and steal any photos. That is just, well stupidly tacky not to mention dishonest.
Jim
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Captain

As for the little security tags on the pictures many of us are aware that they are on the pictures due to the fact that some of the photo gallery staff cannot seem to demagnetize the device properly when you pay for your pictures. It is very embarassing to pay X$'s for your picture and then have the alarm go off as you leave a crowded gallery. Funny enough when it happens to your teenager all the sudden Carnival has plenty of staff running to see what they are "stealing" even though they can't seem to find more than one person to run a cash register. This is an irritant for me so I should probably shut up now