CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   How long does it take to get your passport renewed? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/305069-how-long-does-take-get-your-passport-renewed.html)

MichelleP December 9th, 2005 11:47 AM

How long does it take to get your passport renewed?

From the time you mail it, approximately how long does it take to get your new passport? Mine expires in March, and I have cruises December 15, February 23, and May 4.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

CruzNut December 9th, 2005 11:37 PM

Mine expires in April so I mailed my renewal in yesterday (12/8/05) and will see how long it takes to get the new one. Figured I'd do it early as I'm cruising April 2.

sealegs December 9th, 2005 11:45 PM

:) Hi,

If all the forms are properly completed, give it 7-9 business days.

Not a lot, really.

Cheers
CG
:wink:

Lisa December 10th, 2005 01:34 AM

I would mail it out as soon as you get back from the 12/15 cruise - you should have it back in more than enough time for the next cruise.

Mike M December 10th, 2005 08:55 AM

Brother and Sister in law just had their's renewed and it took about three weeks. It's busy over there in Seattle but still plenty of time for your February cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Donna December 10th, 2005 09:50 AM

I still have 2 years before I need to renue mine, but I was wondering, can you send in a new photo? Mine has got to go!

Mike M December 10th, 2005 12:24 PM

Donna,

Some things in life you just have to live with. :wink: There are millions of people that would love to change their pictures. My wife is one of them. She has that "Stop me before I kill again" look.

Unless you have had MAJOR changes in your appearance, weight loss or gain in excess of 75 lbs., facial reconstruction, sex change, etc, there is no need to have your picture changed. If you do you would submit it the same way as a renewal.

There are a number of points that are used to identify the individual. The distance between the eyes, cheekbones and facial structure, not just the overall look of the face. Immigration officials aren't really looking at you but at those features so don't worry too much. LOL

Take care,
Mike

CA Cruiser December 10th, 2005 02:36 PM

When our friends sent in for the passport renewal last year, they enclosed new pictures taken at AAA for only $8. They received their new passports in 2 weeks with their new pictures.

Donna December 10th, 2005 02:53 PM

Thanks CA,
I was hoping we'd be able to do that, now I know :-)

Mike M December 10th, 2005 03:25 PM

Donna and all:

You always send in new pictures with a renewal.

I find that's the scary part of renewing my passport. I always wonder who the "old guy" is on the new passport. :shock:

I look back at my passport from the 70's and I look like the illegitimate child of Grizzly Adams. LOL

Take care,
Mike

CruzNut December 10th, 2005 07:57 PM

This time (as I did quite a while in the past) I took my own picture. I freeze on that side of the camera ... even had Walgreens try it and nope. So took a bunch - chose the best, put it on a CD and took it to Walgreens where they printed it out for $7.99. My last one was taken at AAA for free and it was absolutely horrible - very glad to get rid of it. By the way, you can't print it yourself because it has to withstand a very high temperature among other reasons.

And if you go to the passport page, you can get the form and fill it in online and then print it. Suggest you do that now and you'll be all ready after your December cruise to mail it off. Ten years ago my passport was handled out of the New Orleans office - now it's the Pittsburgh one ... for obvious reasons.

rayb December 11th, 2005 01:48 PM

We mailed our application for Renewal on Nov 15, 2005. It was sent to the Pittsburgh Office for processing. They received it on Nov 18. As of today Dec 11, 2005 No new Passport has been received. So after 26 days and still no passport. I put on the application that my next cruise would be April 30, 2006. Maybe that is the cause of the long processing time?

shellster December 28th, 2005 12:20 PM

Does any of your (newly renewed) passports have squiggly lines thorugh your picture? Mine does. I hope they didn't mess it up. It looks like they are supposed to be there, but my last one didn't have those little lines.

rayb December 28th, 2005 04:52 PM

Our renewals were received yesterday and today. Taking 42 days from the time of mailing.

Remember you must have at least 6 months remaining on the passport before you can enter many countries or get Visas for some. So advise you plan ahead.

racepoint December 28th, 2005 08:21 PM

Passports??

All of this chatter about passport renewals has got me a little uneasy. Do I understand correctly that passports are still not required (of U.S. citizens) while cruising in the Carribean and won't be, in fact, until December 31, 2006? I am planning to travel in March to the Southern Caribbean and just have our birth certificates and driver's licenses for i.d What's the real scoop??

CruzNut January 14th, 2006 06:32 PM

Finally, I have the answer. Mailed it December 8. My bank shows the check cleared December 29. Received it today, January 14, 2006. Passport date is January 6, 2006. So, even though they send it by priority mail, it took 8 days from the passport date. And all told, it was 38 days.