Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

View Poll Results: Is transporting luggage the most difficult part of traveling?
yes 11 57.89%
no 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Default So... Many.... Bags.....

I am preparing for a trip to Florida that includes Disney Land and a 10 day cruise of the Caribbean in January and have just found out about the weight limits on airplanes (america west, 2 bags neither over 50 pounds). That doesn't seem like much for almost 20 days of vacation and of course I want to buy things in the Caribbean. Is there any way that I could ship the bags I wanted for the cruise to the cruise ship, or ship some bags back? Am I the only one with this problem? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

One suggestion I may make is what we are doing for our upcoming 15 day cruise to Hawaii. We are just packing for 7 days and plan on doing laundry and using those dry cleaning dryer things one day during the cruise.

Sure, it's laundry, but much easier than packing two weeks worth of clothing.

Harry

[b]Get Lei'd!
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Yeoman

I do pretty well going into the vacation, it's the coming home part that's tough. It's not uncommon for me to pack 4 empty duffle bags in my suit cases. When it's time to come home (with all the extra goodies) I will use one of the duffle bags as a carry-on (and have my DH do the same).

You could always ship your belongings home but finding a UPS hub or Greyhound terminal in a strange town can be time consuming. I would just opt to pay the extra baggage fee at the airport.
Old December 14th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Admiral

take Harry's and my advise, pack enough for 7 days and plan on doing laundry. pack mix and match separates that you can wear more than one night. On average you can get 2-3 nights wear out of one pair of pants-you only have them on for a couple of hours.
Old December 14th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Yeoman

Are you going alone? The reason why I ask is because each person is allowed 2 bags at 50#s each. If one person doesn't carry two, then there is the extra bag.
Old December 14th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Admiral

You just have to pack smart and mix and match and plan on doing some laundry while on the cruise. You can do it yourself on most lines or just let them do it for you as the price is very reasonable.
Also, Polls aren't really germaine to this forum as you are asking the Staff.
Jim
Old December 14th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bragg
You just have to pack smart and mix and match and plan on doing some laundry while on the cruise. You can do it yourself on most lines or just let them do it for you as the price is very reasonable.
Also, Polls aren't really germaine to this forum as you are asking the Staff.
Jim
If polls are not germaine then why do you allow them?

Don
Old December 17th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Beginner

Thank you so much for all the replies, it's definitely given me some direction.
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Admiral

Dewcruiser, Polls are fine and a very neat function that we have here but, this particuliar forum is called "Ask the Staff". It is a place you usually ask the staff of CM a question that you haven't seen the answer to elsewhere. A staff member will answer your question unless someone else is able to provide the proper answer.
Jim
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Nothing wrong with polls and cruiser? did nothing wrong in setting one up. They are actually sort of fun. It was actually an error on our part when we set up the forum. It has been changed. We will gladly answer the questions.

I find that when we over pack that handling the bags is a REAL problem. Over time the luggage problem has become less of a problem. You develop a system. We have two 26" wheeled suitcases, two carry-ons and a garment bag that handles everything for up to a 14 day cruise. On our last Alaska, NCL Freestyle cruise we got by with one 26" suitcase and the carry ons. It was great!!!

One big tip: Use carts and PORTERS!!!! It's worth the tip not only because they take the luggage but they also know where to go.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me