Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Passenger

Default New Passport Requirements

All of this chatter about passport renewals has got me a little uneasy. Do I understand correctly that passports are still not required (of U.S. citizens) while cruising in the Carribean and won't be, in fact, until December 31, 2006? I am planning to travel in March '06 to the Southern Caribbean and just have our birth certificates and driver's licenses for i.d What's the real scoop??

P.S. I did some serious checking in the last couple of days and found it would cost abt. $400.00 for our family of four to acquire passports (or the equivalent of one awesome shore excursion!)

My vote is for the shore excursion, unless I hear something to the contrary.
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Admiral

This is the present requirement from the USA. It was supposed to be Saturday but with the number of folks that need to obtain them they pushed it back to next Dec. 31st. Now there are some countries in the Caribbean that require passports to be there except for cruiseship passengers that are there only for the time the ship is. If you are stranded there and miss the ship, it could be a problem. Passports are going to be REQUIRED so why not get them now and get it over with. It is the only ID you need and has a multitude of uses. It is the best document we have ever bought and figuring it lasts for 9 1/2 years it is a cheap ionvestment.
Jim
Old December 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Admiral

totally agree with Jim. Get the passports, you don't need to get them all at once, stagger the intervals. The time is quickly approaching when they will be required.
Its your best bet, especially if the unthinkable happens and you must leave the ship to get home for an emergency. If you don't have a passport it can be a nightmare trying to get home.
Old December 29th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Racepoint...... You are fine without them. I have never had a problem using our birth certificates and drivers licenses. i feel the same way. the $100 per person is a good time on ship instead of a book of papers I already have. I understand that they are needed for a cruise after 2006. But for now I leave April 2006 and i am spending my $100 on some fun things this trip. Happy cruising..........