Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old January 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Yeoman

Default St thomas to St John

Is there a less expensive way to get to St John? The taxi's (RT) will cost my DH and I $80, not including a tip.

Conquest 9/03
Glory 9/04
Valor 4/05
Triumph 2/11/06
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You just need to take a taxi to Red Hook Ferry and go across to St. John. I don't recall the amount of the taxi, but I don't think it was that expensive. There is a good chance others will also be going to the ferry and you can share a cab to save some of the cost. The Ferry is only a few dollars and then once in St. JOhn, a short 10 minute taxi ride to the beach. I know it involves some time, but well worth the effort.[/color]

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:12 PM
First Mate

On another board some people posted that outside the main gates taxis are going for about half price, and then a little farther away you can catch a bus for $2 per person to Red Hook.

It was suggested to NOT use them on the return trip as they sometimes do not run on time.

They also said there are open air taxis (called safaris) that are called dollar taxis. (Some are regular $$ taxis.)

I have not used this myself, just imparting information second hand!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old January 13th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

We booked through the cruise line and found the cost not that much. It was right at the cruise dock. Had a good speedy boat and great views and narration as we traveled. Once on St John got a bus, included in the cost and went sightseeing, narrition was good also. Stopped at a beach (1 1/2 hour) where you could enjoy the water. Snorkel gear was included in the cost of the excursion. This was at Trunk bay. You could purchase drinks and food also.
Bus ride back and boat back to the cruise dock.

Do want to mention this was out of St Thomas. The cost today is around $52 p/p. It was a wonderful time and relaxing.

There is usually another offered for an island tour and no beach stop and swim, about $46 p/p. Just depends on what you like. Once again it starts from the dock where the cruise ship is located.

Edited for misinformation about snorkel gear.

Old January 13th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Admiral

We, too, took the ship's excursion from St. Thomas to St. John. It was a wonderful experience. I actually prefer St. John over St. Thomas. St. Thomas is more "commercial" as opposed to the natural island feel of St. John.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

that seems expensive.
The cab ride from Havensight to Red Hook is about $8.00 per person
The ferry ride from Red Hook to Cruz Bay is about $5.00 per person
The open-air jitney cab from Cruz Bay will depend upon which beach you go to. It was like $6.00 per person to Trunk Bay.
If you have the time and don't mind traveling with the locals you can pick up a local taxi - its more like an open mini-bus - outside the gates for $1.00 per person, just give yourself extra time- it makes alot of stops
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Familiar Face

Default St. thomas to St. John

We had taken the ship tour from St. Thomas to St. John. Don't remember what we paid but what ever it was it was worth it. St. John is a beautiful island. One of the main reasons we booked the tour with the cruise ship is because we were concerned about getting back to the ship on time. It is not unusal for storms to pop up suddenly in the carriabbean and if your boat is leaving St John and cannot get back to St. thomas in time your cruise chip will not wait for you if you did not book with the cruise ship. I felt it was too far of a distance from the cruise ship to go on our own to St. John.