Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Passenger

Default Fear of Getting Sick Before the Cruise

We are cruising in Feb with our 4 young children, ranging from 4 to 14. I am worried that someone will get sick and we cannot go; and this happens to me every time before we cruise. I make my kids take vitamins, fruit and vegies more than usual so that they don't get sick. I'm wondering if some people have the same fear or I'm just not ... normal

Another question is how sick do you have to be before you cancel your cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Admiral

If you over worry about things that you have no control over, you will make yourself sick. The best thing that you and your children can do to prevent sickness is good handwashing. Of course drinking lots of water, eating right, taking vitamins getting exercise and enough sleep are the keys to good health.
I would have to be really, really sick to cancel a cruise. If i had a cold, i would go, if i had the flu, i would get to my doctor ASAP get some good antibiotics and still go.
Old January 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I would have to be laid up in the hospital before I cancel a cruise.....

Luckily, I have not been sick prior to a cruise. I haven't ever had to use the insurance I buy, but I would think that there has got to be a policy out there that covers cancellation if a Dr. says you are too ill to travel.

Does anyone know if there is a policy like that???

Jodi
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Almost all travel insurance will cover you if a doctor diagnoses you with an illness that prevents you from traveling. Just make sure you have the cancellation insurance and it is not related to a pre-existing condition if you do not have that coverage.

Just make sure that it is documented and the doctor will provide the paper work for the insurance company.

Don't just stay home because you don't feel well and NOT see the doctor.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Admiral

I have a question that I haven't seen before....if someone is ill and the doctor says they are too ill to travel, what about the person traveling with them?? As much as I love cruising, I would NOT want to go if my husband couldn't go. Would my cruise dollars be a loss? Or does it include both cruisers???

Here's hoping we never have to collect on a policy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It depends on how you take out the policy but most of the time it covers you if a family member becomes seriously ill. That is husband, wife, mother, father, child. I doubt they will pay if mom comes down with a cold.

Here is a part from one of Access America's Travel Insurance policies.

Any serious Injury or any unforeseen serious medical condition:
a. Occurring to You or a Traveling Companion, which is so disabling as to cause a reasonable person to delay, cancel, or interrupt their Trip;
b. Occurring to a Family Member that is considered life threatening or requiring hospitalization; or
c. Occurring to a Family Member requiring Your care.
For Trip Cancellation benefits, an actual examination by a licensed Physician must take place before the cancellation is made. For Trip Interruption benefits, this examination must take place during Your Trip.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Passenger

BLT, I agree. This concern about getting sick was never an issue for me before, but we will be cruising with my 3.5-yr-old daughter in July. Now I am really thinking about it. What if she gets sick or even very sick. What if the doctor on board doesn't know much about pediatrics, etc, etc....I am even thinking of keeping her home from nursery school the week prior, just so she won't "catch" anything right before we depart. I also just can't imagine being cooped up in those tiny RCI cabins for a whole week if anyone in our family was really sick.
Old January 18th, 2006, 02:45 PM
First Mate

I try to leave things I can't control to the man upstairs, but ins. policy is a good thing to have. Try to relax or stress of worrying over it will get you sick! I had strep throat the week before our family's first cruise. The Dr. told me on Mon. I wouldn't even be able to get out of bed till Thurs. He was right. We left on Fri. He did give me medication to take along for our 3 children and my husband, but no one else got sick and we had the best vacation!! I worried about the kids and I was the one who got sick!! I hope you have a wonderful time and hope you all good health and travel!!!
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Very encouraging. Glad the Strep didn't ruin your vacation. It's true -- besides washing hands and perhaps some vitamins, this is one issue over which we have little control. You're right, the worrying can only make one more "run down." I shall try to control my Type A self.
Old January 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I would have to be dying before I would miss A CRUISE
because of illness.
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Passenger

I recall reading a post on this (or it could have been another cruise-type board) about 6 mos. ago about a family from the West Coast (Grandma, Grandpa, parents, and several kids) who had booked a Caribbean cruise and flew into port a day early to settle in. They had gone out to dinner that first night and in the middle of the night, hubby discovered that something he had eaten just wasn't agreeing with him. They arrived at port for check-in the next morning and, while standing at the counter checking in, a "wave" hit him and he ran for the nearest trash can. The cruise personnel quickly called the ship's doctor to take a look at him and determined that due to his current condition, they would deny boarding to the entire family for fear of them introducing this illness on board. They were disappointed to have to turn around and fly home, and even more disappointed when hubby was all better within 24 hours and nobody else was sick. I understand the extreme caution with the Norwalk virus situation and that the doc was just taking precautions, but let that be a lesson to you - Don't eat in strange places just prior to boarding!!