Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Yeoman

Default Early return flight at Ft. Lauderdale

I would like to hear from anyone who has had an early flight home from Ft. Lauderdale. We will be going out of Ft. L. in Oct. We have only gone out of this port once before. What is the earliest times you have scheduled a flight out to Ft. Lauderdale air port? I know the air port is VERY close to the cruise port. There is an excellent flight leaving at 10:55 AM and I figure this is to early of a flight to book. BUT I wanted to hear from some of you more experienced cruisers!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
First Mate

I flew out with a flight at 12:30-1:00, the airport was extremely busy. We usually stay over but this cruise we did not. Going through security was long. Personally I wouldn't take a flight before noon, but I would think it is possible if everything goes well with disembarking!! Good Luck!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Admiral

I have never had a flight that early nor would I chance it. Keep in mind, when we returned to port last December, there were 6 or 7 other cruise ships in port. That's a lot of ppl at the airport. Plus, that many ships returned also in Miami and since flights can be cheaper out of FLL, many shuttled there. You will be stressed and I wouldn't want to end a vacation that way. Maybe take the same flight the next day or a later flight. If you decide to chance it, look into travel insurance too!

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

My last cruise into Fort Lauderdale we were not allowed off the ship till after 11:30.
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't chance it either. IMHO, it just isn't worth the stress and worry of whether or not you'll make the flight.
RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Passenger

We booked a 10:30am flight out of FLL. We were on the CP during Feb vacation on the East coast.. I called Princess before I booked it and asked what time they were booking on return flights. They actually had the same flight info I was booking (half the money). During the trip in the Princess platter(news Letter) they asked if you had an early flight before 11am you have to sign-up to get off early, or at least be one of the first off the ship. Knowing at least 7 ships are coming in, and it's feb vacation
I was sweating it. We got off first and we grabed a taxi instead of waiting for the bus. Don't forget you have to search for your luggage also.. And then theres customs..My kids found the luggage.
And the airport was crowded. I was very nervous..But made it with over an hour to spare after all the check in.
Our next trip I'm hoping for a flight around 12or 1pm, But Feb vacation again(can't wait for college) FREEDOM HERE WE COME 2/2007
Old January 19th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Yeoman

Thanks for the info! I looked and there are 2 other ships in port that day. I figured I shouldn't push it to go out that early! I just needed someone else to say it. I can't believe the horrible flight times I'm stuck with for Ft. L. We can't get any direct flights unless we go into & out of Miami. But the only good return flight leaves Miami at 12:50 and that's pushing the limits too! Plus the extra cost of going to and from Miami to Ft. L.

Thanks everyone!
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Admiral

we had an 11:30 am flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and we were running to get thru security. You just never know. I would book a late flight and take a post-cruise excursion or book a hotel and fly out the next morning.
Old January 20th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have also only flown from Ft.Lauderdale once after a cruise but that one was a nightmare and I'll never do that again. It was a Sunday too, and the airport was a 3 ring circus with all the passengers. We were put in line upstairs, then told to go downstairs and had to wait in another long line there. They were weighing all the luggage and just moving so slow. Then there's the wait through security,too. Our flight was at 12:10 and like you, and never having been there before, I thought....the airport's close, we can do this. We barely made that flight. That was so stressful that, except for one time after from a different airport, I've been staying a day post-cruise. If that's not possible, at least a later flight out will give you breathing room and not end a wonderful vacation on a sour note. Good luck and have a great trip.
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Passenger

Ft. Lauderdale is the only port I have every been thourghly searched.

I bought some spices on one of the islands. When they waned my bags it showed up as gun powder.

I was called into the area and had to open my bags they did a through check and ask me some questions. Then as I was boarding I was selected for another security check..Something about every 15 or so passenger was checked.

If I was running late I might of missed my plane.

I won't chance it.

But that is my opinion.

Don
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

that is deffinately too early any number of things could make you miss it and that would really add a lot of stress to the end of your vacation.

Nothing before noon at the earliest.