Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Passenger

Default Does it really make a difference????

I am trying to decide between the Elation and Miracle. I really think that I would like the ports better on the Elation, but the Miracle is a nicer/newer ship. Does anyone think it really makes THAT much of a difference about the "newness" of the ship? The price difference really isn't that much...

This is our first cruise, so am really at a disadvantage as to what I should expect. What is the MOST important issue to consider??? Keeping in mind that we will have children with us so we will be limited on our excursions. Should we go for the nicer ship or should we go for the ports?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I tend to say go with Miracle, but not knowing the different ports, it would help if you listed the 2 different itinaries.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Elation =

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas
St. Thomas
Puerto Rico
Grand Turk

Miracle =

Grand Cayman
Costa Maya, Mx
Belize
Cozumel

Thanks!
Old January 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Two completely different sets of ports. The difference between ports is greater than the diff between ships. I would go with the ports you like, but I am a port-oriented person.

That being said, Miracle is a newer ship, and those Spirit-class ships are nice.

The cabins are still nice on the Elation, though.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Admiral

I go with ports, but having been to both the Eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St.Thomas, Dominican Republic and Nassau) and the Western (Belize,Limon Costa Rica, Panama) one thing you may want to consider is eating in port. Never a problem in Eastern Caribbean but in the Mexican ports and Belize you could pick up Montezumas revenge. I did in Costa Rica. This can ruin a vacation so get your doctor to write a prescription just in case.

When in port all day I find it hard not to eat (low blood sugar) so do be careful and don't eat fruit (my mistake) or anything that may have been washed in the local water, eat cooked foods here. Also if safety concerns in ports like Belize, in the ports in the Eastern your free to roam on your own. I go with the Eastern but having said this there are no Mayan Ruins to Explore. So check the shore excursions at all the ports this may help you decide as well. In Belize do an excursion with the ship or Coral Breeze Limited company, don't go it alone in this port. Any questions I can help with feel free to instant message me.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Admiral

Forgot to add that I also like ports that are not tender ports such as Belize I like to jump off the ship and on land, so that may or may not be a factor to consider and I also like sea days in between some of my port days, most cruises now have all the ports in a row I find this exhausting and I apresheate the sea days to rest up. The newer ships are nice I was on the Legend, but a friend of mine said the most fun he had was on an older Carnival ship might have been Elation. He said the staff and people were great. I would take a virtual tour of both ships on the cruise lines web page and read reviews on this site for both ships.
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Admiral

I think the operative statement is that "your kids will be with you" therefore I would go with the Elation because you get to go the the private island 'Half Moon Cay" which is nice for grown ups but even better for kids..therefore, I would bet if they remember nothing else it will be that experience
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Default miracle or elation?

Half Moon Cay is a little slice of heaven - it sticks in my memory as one of the best days of any cruise.
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Admiral

I usually shop by port (especially for your first cruise). After my first 2 cruises, I knew I wanted to try a spirit-class ship (and I sailed on the Miracle), but for my first cruise, it didn't matter.

Check out shore excursions on the Carnival website for all the ports and maybe you'll get an idea of which you prefer with the kids.

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04