Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Default Suggestion for new forums

Hi everyone, I would like to see a new forum under the title Private tours and Shore excursions. This could be used by those cruisemates who like to see the sights, but not pay the high costs of the ship tours also like to go with smaller groups, or be shown a port by a local vender; who truly knows the area and culture. It should not be used by companys to advertise themselves but just for cruisemate members with suggestions.

I have done 2 private tours one in St. Thomas USVI the other in Belize. I have not been disappointed by eather, and both offered sights or activitys not offered in the huge mass market cruise ship tours! Cruisemates could give reviews of companys they have used in the past and make suggestions to otherswho will be traveling to these ports.

I would also like to see a forum called Seeing the Ports on Your Own where people can give suggestions to things to do and see without booking a tour.
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Admiral

I like your ideas. I sure would read. It is hard at times to find what am looking for under current Shore Excursions.

So far hubby and I have only used ships excursions and had one cancelled. Would have been nice to have read about private tours.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Default private tours

This is a good idea. We noticed that ship tours are going up in price and often they are not good value. On our last cruise we never heard of any ship tours that were outstanding and the one we took was so poor that we didn't book any more but found our own way around. We were put on a school bus that had narrow seats, a bar on the window right at eye level so you had to duck down to see anything, plus it was a very rough ride. The driver told us that the ship overbooked so they had to bring in the school bus for the extra so we saw the regular tour buses with comfy seats and large windows pull out while we bumped along behind. We protested to the manager of the tours but got no compensation at all and just a bad attitude.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Admiral

I usually find out about non ship tours cause Im a search engine junkie and I read a lot of sites message boards about port reviews etc.. I think the internet is a wonderful source of information I have done 2 private tours and spent a day on my own in Nassau at the zoo and fish fry because of searching. I saved money and had a lovely time on all three. Actually better then the ship tours. So I hope this site will use my idea and start a forum for this!