Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Default Post cruise in LA. Where should we stay? LAX for flight home

Because NCL cancelled our 8 night Star sailing, we'll be on the Sapphire Princess for only 7 nights, leaving us (three adults, and two preadolescent kids) with a day to kill in LA. (That's what I get for booking our slights so early!)

I see from the map that Long Beach is in the wrong direction from the airport, and I wonder if we should book a hotel closer to LAX. However, our return flight is on a Sunday, so maybe there won't be traffic and Long Beach offers more to do. What do you think?

BTW, where is the Princess dock, San Pedro or Long Beach? I don't even know what to tell the SuperShuttle folks......

TIA
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Sorry to hear about your NCL cruise. Did they give a reason? Welcome to the Sapphire Princess which leaves from San Pedro. We are going in 10 days. Yes there is less traffic to LAX on Sunday mornings. What time is your flight? It does get busy in the afternoons. The closest hotel to LAX is the Radisson. You could look into booking a hotel in Anaheim and do Disneyland. They have hotel/park packages http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...gesListingPage
Another suggestion would be to cancel the Supershuttle and rent a car. Have fun planning.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Passenger

The kids would love a day at Disney but I thought that by the time we disembark and rent a car and find our way to the park, it would be 1:00 or later, kind of wasting our theme park admission $$.

Is there anything of interest betw the dock area and LAX? I see Manhattan and Redondo Beaches on the map, but after a week at sea, who needs more water! And I know it won't be beach weather in LA in March.
Old February 8th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

There is not much between Long Beach and LAX. Redondo and Manhattan beach are the names of the cities.
Other than the Redondo pier (Fisherman's Wharf) which has more restaurants than attractions you may want to find something else.

Everything else between the two are pretty seedy.

Disneyland is celebrating the 50th anniversary and the theme park stays open until midnight and California Adventure is open until 10 PM.
Mind you there are separate charges for either or a combo package.

There are more hotels in the area than you can shake a stick.

Old February 9th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

Mary:

There's lots to do in Hollywood. Mann's Chinese Theater, the Walk of Fame, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum, the Hollywood Wax Museum, the Kodak Theater, tours of the stars home. If you do a google search of Los Angeles attractions or Hollywood attractions lots of things come up. I used Hotwire to book a hotel precruise. I picked a 4 star and got the Westin LAX for $78/night. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Darcy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Passenger

I live next to Manhattan beach and the weather has been in the 80's at the beach....If you can't find time to take the kids to Dland I would go with Hollywood....there is alot to see and do for the kids. Some of the hotels near (a whole strip) LAX might offer transportation to Dland..and down town Disney is the reward for the parents! 8)
Old February 11th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

You might consider having Princess set you up for a post-cruise hotel. We flew from FL to LA (made our own flight reservations), stayed at the Airport Marriott for one night before and after the cruise for about $60 each per night, and that included transfers to and from the hotel/ship. That was arranged with Princess, and the next time we sail Princess from LA, we will definitely do the same thing. We used the hotel shuttle to/from the airport, and all it cost us was the tips.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Default Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Thanks for the idea of the post cruise package. I'm so used to bidding for travel that this never occurred to me. I know one way to the airport via super shuttle will run us at least $50-60 (there are 5 of us). I guess once Princess gets us to an airport hotel, how will we get to any of the "attractions"? At least in Long Beach you can take the free bus around. Then I'd just have to pay for taxis from the pier to the hotel. Seems like Long Beach will be cheaper and will have things to do on a Saturday.
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Admiral

If you have never toured the Queen Mary - this would be the perfect opportunity - it is well worth a look - and takes three or four hours to do it right! You should be able to rent a car near the San Pedro Pier - most agencies will pick you up. There is really not much else to see in Long Beach. You could then drop it off at the airport when you fly home. That way you could just motor around and see the things you are interested in - like the Santa Monica Pier, Malibu, Bundy (where O.J. lived ), drive through the fancy digs of Beverly Hills - might even spot a star taking out the garbage lol. The "Universal Walk" area is also interesting. So much to see - so little time. Enjoy the Sapphire Princess - she is a great ship and the food is super - ask for seconds of the creme brulee!

ttfn Jennifer
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Passenger

The Long Beach Aquarium is nice and they've added lots of restuarants in the area for everyone.