CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Ask CruiseMates Staff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/)
-   -   Can I Bring A Travel Iron On Board? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/ask-cruisemates-staff/308950-can-i-bring-travel-iron-board.html)

merryheart February 14th, 2006 05:44 PM

Can I Bring A Travel Iron On Board?

I thought I might have read somewhere that you are NOT allowed to bring travel irons on board. Why is that? This is our first cruise and thought it would be a convenience for us, if we needed it. I know there are irons in the laundry room.

Thanks In Advance,
Merry LOL

gerif February 14th, 2006 05:49 PM

Irons are an ELECTRICAL hazard and are not permitted in cabins - anyway, you are on vacation, who wants to iron??? Get some Faultless or Downey Wrinkle Release spray - both work great. I don't even iron at home anymore.

Mike M February 14th, 2006 05:53 PM

Official policy is that travel irons are not recommended to be brought on board because of safety reasons. The reason is that the most likely place to iron your clothes is the bed and an iron left on the bed is very dangerous. Fire is the worst thing that can happen on a cruise ship.

Does that mean that people don't bring one on board. No. Does that mean you should bring one on. No.

There are some great alternatives: Downy wrinkle release is a great product. Packing your garments in dry cleaning bags works wonders to reduce wrinkles and using dry cleaning bags between layers of clothing also is a great way to prevent wrinkles. The old standby of putting clothing in a steamy shower is my favorite way of eliminating wrinkles when they happen. Careful packing is the number one way of packing without wrinkles. As a last resort an onboard iron form the laundry (if available or sending it out for is always available.

Take care,
Mike

Take care,
Mike

CA Cruiser February 14th, 2006 08:02 PM

Re: Can I Bring A Travel Iron On Board?

Quote:

Originally Posted by merryheart
I know there are irons in the laundry room.

You don't say which cruise line but RCI does NOT have self laundry rooms. Downey Wrinkle Releaser does work.

merryheart February 14th, 2006 11:59 PM

Thanks Guys!

Thanks Everybody!
I won't bring one then...I'll try that Downey Wrinkle Releaser!

It sure is fun getting all our questions answered before we go! LOL!

Not that I want to iron, while on a cruise or anything! LOL!

Merry :D

Gottacruise February 19th, 2006 04:40 PM

I brought a hand held steamer. Worked great.

showcat February 20th, 2006 03:31 AM

Ok my friend took a travel iron on Costa. Ships without self serve laundry like Carnival don't have them. It certainly helped just remember to unplug if you bring. I use the shower on hot to steam my dresses and clothes out. Im still searching for the worlds smallest travel steamer. Any recomendations?