Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff
Register Forgot Password?

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Default Which one???????

Putting aside personal choice on cruiseline, which would you prefer----Carnival Destiny or RCCL Adventure of the Seas for the Southern Caribbean?

We like the ports of call better on the Destiny---San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, Aruba, San Juan

AOS---San Juan, Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan

But there seems to be more to do on the AOS---rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating

What do you feel is more important, ports of call or onboard activities?

Thanks for your help.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Admiral

are you traveling with kids ? If so AOS..If no kids Destiny (I am a big Barbados fan)
Old February 16th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Not sure if they're coming but it really doesn't matter since our "kids" will be 22 and 20 when we cruise.

Barbados is the port I am most excited about.

Thanks.
Old February 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Admiral

then do Detiny...you'll love Barbados
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

This is just what I feel....

Having never been on RCCL, I cannot give an opinion on overall cruise experience, however, seriously, how much will you use the rock climbing wall, the ice rink, the mini golf course??? Are you willing to pay more to have them?

I am not willing to pay the addtional costs....rock climbing and ice skating hold no appeal for me and I live in the mini golf capital of the world.

As you can see, I am a big fan of Carnival, but I will not tell you what to choose, but rather just things to think about. I find RCCL to be much more expensive than CCL - for the cruises I would choose - and I always opt for the best per day rate on a cruise. I cruise mainly for the relaxation and the ports, not for the 'extras' that, more than likely, I will not utilize. Many people are interested in the additional on board activites, and they make their decision based on that, but determine for yourself if you will use them, and if the additional cost is worth it. You will be on a ship with 3000 people possibly wanting to use the wall, rink, or course. How much do you think you would be able to use them?

Just some things to consider.

Jodi
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Thanks very much Jodi for your help. Having only been on one cruise, I appreciate the help from a "cruise expert". Looks like it will be the DESTINY.
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nolou,

This is just FYI, did you know that Adventure of the Seas does 2 different itineraries? We sailed on AOS in 2004 and the ports were St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia, and Barbados. We picked it because of the 5 ports and I also wanted to see Barbado. The one that you mentioned only had 4 ports. They go out on alternating weeks, I checked my cruise book, and it looks like they are still doing both routes, so if you wanted to try a Voyager class ship, you could do that and still get Barbados. Personally, I loved that cruise and the ship itself is awesome. I have also sailed on Destiny, I love the southern route best of all. I just had to add my 2 cents for what it's worth to a fellow cruiser from Ma. If you can get that route at a decent price, it would be great to experience the ship. Happy sails.......
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Admiral

My cousin took the Destiny with her kids ages 18,16,10 they all had a great time and she loved the ports. Dominica was her and her friends favorite.
I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about Aruba ( due to their lack of handling the Natalee Holiway case) and Curaco because there is supposed be an illegal sex slave industry there ( women held against their will, reported on a recent Dr. Phill show about Holloway search) this is just my two cents.